winbind local user behavior

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
Before joining an AD domain, I noticed that "wbinfo --all-domains"
does list the local system as a domain:
BUILTIN
<machine name as default domain>

Can winbind query local users and builtin users (ala pdbedit -L  or
pdbedit -L -v) before being joined to AD?   Is winbind supposed to be
able to be able return info on builtin users - as long as winbindd is
running (even though not joined to an AD domain).

I wasn't seeing much when doing "wbinfo -u" etc.

And commands fail with

wbinfo --group-info=BUILTIN/Administrators

failed to call wbcGetgrnam: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND

Thanks,

Steve

Re: winbind local user behavior

On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 07:30:51PM -0500, Steve French via samba-technical wrote:

> Before joining an AD domain, I noticed that "wbinfo --all-domains"
> does list the local system as a domain:
> BUILTIN
> <machine name as default domain>
>
> Can winbind query local users and builtin users (ala pdbedit -L  or
> pdbedit -L -v) before being joined to AD?   Is winbind supposed to be
> able to be able return info on builtin users - as long as winbindd is
> running (even though not joined to an AD domain).
>
> I wasn't seeing much when doing "wbinfo -u" etc.
>
> And commands fail with
>
> wbinfo --group-info=BUILTIN/Administrators

can you try

wbinfo --group-info="BUILTIN\Administrators" ?

Works here:

[slow@kazak scratch]$ ./bin/wbinfo --group-info="BUILTIN\Administrators"
BUILTIN\administrators:x:10003:

Cheerio!