Quantcast

win7 DC logon waiting

I've installed samba 4.5.3 as a domain controller and provisioned a domain.

Now I'm integrating the win7 machines as clients. If the clients are in the network, all is ok.
But if I use a notebook in a different network (for example at home) the win7 logon takes a very long time up to 2-3 minutes.

If I disconnect all network connections, the login is as fast as in the domain network. But it can't be true, that I have to unplug and plug the Ethernet-cable each time I want to login. Any suggestions to shorten the waiting-time / timeout? best case would be if there exists a gpo to edit, but all my researches doesn't get the results I want.

Thanks for help

Kind regards
gruner

Re: win7 DC logon waiting

Samba - General mailing list
On 3/20/2017 6:20 AM, Sebastian Gruner via samba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed samba 4.5.3 as a domain controller and provisioned a domain.
>
> Now I'm integrating the win7 machines as clients. If the clients are in the network, all is ok.
> But if I use a notebook in a different network (for example at home) the win7 logon takes a very long time up to 2-3 minutes.
>
> If I disconnect all network connections, the login is as fast as in the domain network. But it can't be true, that I have to unplug and plug the Ethernet-cable each time I want to login. Any suggestions to shorten the waiting-time / timeout? best case would be if there exists a gpo to edit, but all my researches doesn't get the results I want.
>
> Thanks for help
>
> Kind regards
> gruner

Sounds like your workstation can't contact the domain when used at home.
It fails over to the cached credentials at some point to authenticate.
Try creating a GPO to not wait for network.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg486839.aspx
<javascript:void();>

- James

Re: win7 DC logon waiting

On 3/27/2017 3:28 AM, Sebastian Gruner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> that's right, that he can't connect the DC. But my main problem is, that I havn't found any solution to shorten the timeout it needs until the logon precess succeeds.
> I've alredy set the GPO you've mentioned, without any success. Other ideas to shorten the timeout?
>
> Kind regards
> gruner

See if this hotfix solves your issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2673042/long-startup-or-logon-time-when-no-domain-controllers-are-available-on-a-windows-7-based-or-windows-server-2008-r2-based-domain-member-computer