very slow performance OS X xattrs

Robert DuToit-2
Hi All,

I am have been cloning drives with several versions of xcode and am seeing very long copy times. Perhaps just because of xcode I am noticing the change. Xcode of course has many files (400,000+)  many xattrs and compressed bits, decmpfs… so only natural it will be slow but sometimes upwards of 1/2 hour to a fast drive for xcode. If I turn off Xattrs (leave out the X) it flies through in three minutes or so.

I don’t know if there is anything to be done but wonder if anyone has any ideas or tweaks to speed up those xattrs?

Am using rsync 3.1.1 but would assume no new changes in 3.1.2 to affect any of this.

usual OS X build (on Sierra)

patch -p1 <patches/fileflags.diff
patch -p1 <patches/crtimes.diff
patch -p1 <patches/hfs-compression.diff
with my additions, progress tweaks etc. (Base build is same performance)

-aHAXN --fileflags --force-change  --protect-decmpfs --numeric-ids --protect-args --stats -v

Thanks,  Rob