tty & who

Samba - linux mailing list
"tty" says that _pts4_ displays fish.
Yet "who" says that I'm on line _tty7_.
What does this mean?
--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/

Re: tty & who

Samba - linux mailing list
A pts is pseudo-terminal - in this case, it's the virtual terminal that the
window manager has created for your shell to run in, hence why it's
returned by a command in that shell.

A tty is physical terminal - in this case, tty7 is 'terminal' X11 is
running on, and that you used to log in to the computer, hence why it's
returned by the 'who' command.

Try this link out:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/21280/difference-between-pts-and-tty

Simon

On 26 September 2017 at 22:44, Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) via linux <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> "tty" says that _pts4_ displays fish.
> Yet "who" says that I'm on line _tty7_.
> What does this mean?
> --
> www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/

Re: tty & who

Samba - linux mailing list
Thanks, Simon:

> A pts is pseudo-terminal - in this case, it's the virtual terminal that
> the window manager has created for your shell to run in, hence why it's
> returned by a command in that shell.
>
> A tty is physical terminal - in this case, tty7 is 'terminal' X11 is
> running on, and that you used to log in to the computer, hence why it's
> returned by the 'who' command.

I have only a vague grasp of these concepts. So login was on tty7. Which
presumably launched Ubuntu. From where I launched fish in pts4. Can you
refer me to an easy-reading reference on all those goings-on?

--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/