steps for fileserver replacement

In the near future we are going to replace our current fileserver
(domain member server in a samba4 AD) with new hardware, and new fresh
debian 9 installation.

I don't want to upgrade the old installation, but completely reinstall.
So, should it simply work to:

- install the new machine with a random temp name / ip
- make it also a domain member server (under the temp name)
- configure winbind for nsswitch AD uid/gid on new server
- turn off samba on the old server (to prevent client access)
- rsync the user files from the old to the new server
- make sure file/dir ownerships/permissions match the old server
- turn off the old server
- put the old server ip on the new server
- put old server hostname on the new server
- adjust smb.conf for the new hostname
- rejoin domain with the new hostname
- restart the new machine

And, since the new server has now the same ip / dns / netbios name as
the old server, should all GPO (drive mappings) 'just work' as if
nothing was changed?

Or if there is a (wiki) doc on this, kindly point me to it, as I
couldn't find it...

MJ

Re: steps for fileserver replacement

Samba - General mailing list
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 21:54:21 +0200
lists via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the near future we are going to replace our current fileserver
> (domain member server in a samba4 AD) with new hardware, and new
> fresh debian 9 installation.
>
> I don't want to upgrade the old installation, but completely
> reinstall. So, should it simply work to:
>
> - install the new machine with a random temp name / ip
> - make it also a domain member server (under the temp name)
> - configure winbind for nsswitch AD uid/gid on new server
> - turn off samba on the old server (to prevent client access)
> - rsync the user files from the old to the new server
> - make sure file/dir ownerships/permissions match the old server

Now leave the domain

> - turn off the old server
> - put the old server ip on the new server
> - put old server hostname on the new server
> - adjust smb.conf for the new hostname

If you don't put 'netbios name =' in smb.conf, you wont have to do this.

> - rejoin domain with the new hostname
> - restart the new machine
>
> And, since the new server has now the same ip / dns / netbios name as
> the old server, should all GPO (drive mappings) 'just work' as if
> nothing was changed?

Provided EVERYTHING is the same as the old Unix domain member, I can
see no reasons why this will not work.

> Or if there is a (wiki) doc on this, kindly point me to it, as I
> couldn't find it...

Fairly sure there isn't one, want to write one once you have done it ?

Re: steps for fileserver replacement

i would do it like this.
install the new member, setup a new hostname and ip, (static ip).
setup shares and copy data to the new server.

down old server, setup alias ip of the old server on the new, and create cname old hostname to new.

then monitor in the logs which pc's use ip numbers in shares.

for me the biggest advantage is, its reversable and flexible, meanig, you can do most of the work during work hours..

if you rejoin in you setup, cant boot up the old, without also there a rejoin.
which makes an extra point of possible problems.

just me thoughts..

Greetz,

Louis

> Op 10 jul. 2017 om 22:14 heeft Rowland Penny via samba <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 21:54:21 +0200
> lists via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> In the near future we are going to replace our current fileserver
>> (domain member server in a samba4 AD) with new hardware, and new
>> fresh debian 9 installation.
>>
>> I don't want to upgrade the old installation, but completely
>> reinstall. So, should it simply work to:
>>
>> - install the new machine with a random temp name / ip
>> - make it also a domain member server (under the temp name)
>> - configure winbind for nsswitch AD uid/gid on new server
>> - turn off samba on the old server (to prevent client access)
>> - rsync the user files from the old to the new server
>> - make sure file/dir ownerships/permissions match the old server
>
> Now leave the domain
>
>> - turn off the old server
>> - put the old server ip on the new server
>> - put old server hostname on the new server
>> - adjust smb.conf for the new hostname
>
> If you don't put 'netbios name =' in smb.conf, you wont have to do this.
>
>> - rejoin domain with the new hostname
>> - restart the new machine
>>
>> And, since the new server has now the same ip / dns / netbios name as
>> the old server, should all GPO (drive mappings) 'just work' as if
>> nothing was changed?
>
> Provided EVERYTHING is the same as the old Unix domain member, I can
> see no reasons why this will not work.
>

>> Or if there is a (wiki) doc on this, kindly point me to it, as I
>> couldn't find it...
>>

> Fairly sure there isn't one, want to write one once you have done it ?

Re: steps for fileserver replacement

Mandi! lists via samba
  In chel di` si favelave...

> - adjust smb.conf for the new hostname
> - rejoin domain with the new hostname

Really i don't know if work in AD as worked in NT mode, but there's
also 'netbios aliases = '...

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin        GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''          http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/

Re: steps for fileserver replacement

Samba - General mailing list
Hi all,

Thanks for the interesting suggestions, Rowland, Marco and Louis!

I'll do some testing, keep my notes, and when everything turns out
working, I'll write something up for the wiki.

Thanks,
MJ

On 11-7-2017 15:06, lists via samba wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for the interesting suggestions, Rowland, Marco and Louis!
>
> I'll do some testing, keep my notes, and when everything turns out
> working, I'll write something up for the wiki.

So, if I may, an additional question further to the smb.conf option:
netbios aliases = ...

Suppose my old server is called files_old and the new files_new, both
are now functional.

Yesterday evening I tried testing the actual replacement, by shutting
down smbd/nmbd/winbind on the files_old, and adding
netbios aliases = files_old
on smb.conf on member server files_new

To my surprise, this did not work. Using \\files_new I could still
access everything, but \\files_old gave a username/password popup.

In fact, I tested setting netbios aliases to all kinds of random stuff,
and they all work. Only in the case of an AD computer name (or perhaps a
previously used netbios name?) it does not work. Is that so? Is this
expected?

In which case, I could remove the files_old$ computer account from AD,
and assume that it would work then. It would make reverting the
replacement a bit more difficult.

I also noticed that you can change the ip address for the domain member
server without an issue, everything still works with a new ip. So that's
cool :-)

MJ