stale unix domain socket file keeps increasing if winbindd keeps failing

stale unix domain socket file keeps increasing if winbindd keeps failing

I am running samba 4.6.4, and I have a script periodically run

/usr/sbin/winbindd winbindd -i -s <config_file> -d0

until it is success.

but the problem is, every time winbindd fails, it leaves two stale socket
files under <private dir>msg.sock and two stale lock files under msg.lock.

so with time passing, finally it consumes all the inodes in my disk (a VM)
and I can do nothing.

I know that we can config "messaging : messaging dgm cleanup interval = 1"
to clean up the message socket, but this does not work for me as in my
case, winbindd exit when the domain_list can not be inited.

the following is where the winbindd exit
================LOG===========
Could not fetch our SID - did we join?
unable to initialize domain list
==================

is there any easy work around or patch can fix this issue?

Regards,
Dave

Re: stale unix domain socket file keeps increasing if winbindd keeps failing

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 12:05:21PM -0800, Dave Wang via samba-technical wrote:
> I am running samba 4.6.4, and I have a script periodically run
>
> /usr/sbin/winbindd winbindd -i -s <config_file> -d0

It's not good use of winbind to just keep starting it until it
magically repairs itself. Once either winbind or smbd start, the stale
lockfiles and sockets will be cleaned up.

You might file a bug about us not cleaning up after failing to start
up, but we kindof expect that winbind is not started in a tight loop
as long as it keeps failing.

Also, you might just look with fuser if there's any user of the lock
file left, and if none is failing, just remove it together with the
associated socket.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:[hidden email]