smbclient is SLOWWWWWW; getaddrinfo failed

smbclient is SLOWWWWWW; getaddrinfo failed

Samba - General mailing list
# rpm -qa samba
samba-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64

Hi All,

# smbclient -L FedoraServer -U workcentre -W xxxxx

takes about 18 second to ask for the password.  (Windows is slow too.)

Me thinks it has to do with this error from /var/log/samba/samba-log.192.168.255.12

       get_mydnsfullname: getaddrinfo failed for name FedoraServer.xxxxx.local [Unknown error]

When I put a tail on the above log, this is where it hangs until the password prompt comes up

How do I fix this?

Many thanks,
-T

# more /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1   server.storall.local localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 loca
lhost4.localdomain4
::1         localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6

[global]
workgroup = xxxxx
server string = Fedora Samba Server
volume = Fedora Core, %v
comment = Samba (NetBIOS) Server on FedoraServer.xxxxx.com
netbios name = FedoraServer
netbios aliases = PlaceJokeHere
interfaces = eno1 127.0.0.1
hosts deny = ALL
hosts allow = 192.168.255. 127.0.0.
lanman auth = yes
ntlm auth = yes
printcap name = /etc/printcap
show add printer wizard = No
load printers = yes
printing = BSD
guest account = pcguest
log file = /var/log/samba/samba-log.%m
    log level = 4 passdb:10 auth:10
    strict locking = no
follow symlinks = yes
wide links = no
locking = yes
strict locking = no
security = user
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
unix password sync = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passdb backend = smbpasswd
local master = yes
os level = 75
domain master = yes
domain logons = yes
idmap config * : backend = tdb
idmap config * : range = 1000000-1999999
logon script = scripts\logon.bat
logon path =
logon drive = X:
preferred master = yes
wins support = yes
name resolve order = host wins
dns proxy = yes
deadtime = 20160
force create mode = 0000
create mode = 0777
force directory mode = 0000
directory mode = 0777
map archive = yes
map system = yes
map hidden = yes

[public]
comment = Public on xxxx FedoraServer -- Mount as F:
path = /exports/public
valid users = @users
write list = @users
force group = users
force user = public

locking = yes
oplocks = no
fake oplocks = no
level2 oplocks = no
strict locking = no
blocking locks = no
public = no
writable = yes
printable = no
browseable = yes

create mode = 0777
force directory mode = 0000
directory mode = 0777
map archive = yes
map system = yes
map hidden = yes

Re: smbclient is SLOWWWWWW; getaddrinfo failed

Samba - General mailing list

---- On Wed, 06 Sep 2017 16:41:13 -0700 toddandmargo via samba<[hidden email]> wrote ----
 > # rpm -qa samba
 > samba-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
 >
 >
 > Hi All,
 >
 > # smbclient -L FedoraServer -U workcentre -W xxxxx
 >
 > takes about 18 second to ask for the password.  (Windows is slow too.)
 >
 > Me thinks it has to do with this error from /var/log/samba/samba-log.192.168.255.12
 >
 >        get_mydnsfullname: getaddrinfo failed for name FedoraServer.xxxxx.local [Unknown error]
 >
 > When I put a tail on the above log, this is where it hangs until the password prompt comes up
 >
 >
 > How do I fix this?
 >
 > Many thanks,
 > -T

Figured it out.   I had reversed two letters x's in the FedoraServer.xxxxx.local /etc/hosts.

Now things are instant.

Re: smbclient is SLOWWWWWW; getaddrinfo failed

On Wed, 06 Sep 2017 16:41:13 -0700
toddandmargo via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> # rpm -qa samba
> samba-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
>

> Hi All,
>
> # smbclient -L FedoraServer -U workcentre -W xxxxx
>
> takes about 18 second to ask for the password.  (Windows is slow too.)
>
> Me thinks it has to do with this error
> from /var/log/samba/samba-log.192.168.255.12
>
>        get_mydnsfullname: getaddrinfo failed for name
> FedoraServer.xxxxx.local [Unknown error]
>
> When I put a tail on the above log, this is where it hangs until the
> password prompt comes up
>

> How do I fix this?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T
>

> # more /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1   server.storall.local localhost localhost.localdomain
> localhost4 loca lhost4.localdomain4
> ::1         localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6
> localhost6.localdomain6

Hi, are you using dhcp ?
If you are, change /etc/hosts to this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

If you aren't, then 'server.storall.local' should point to its IP not
'127.0.0.1'

Re: smbclient is SLOWWWWWW; getaddrinfo failed

> On Wed, 06 Sep 2017 16:41:13 -0700
> toddandmargo via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> # rpm -qa samba
>> samba-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
>>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> # smbclient -L FedoraServer -U workcentre -W xxxxx
>>
>> takes about 18 second to ask for the password.  (Windows is slow too.)
>>
>> Me thinks it has to do with this error
>> from /var/log/samba/samba-log.192.168.255.12
>>
>>         get_mydnsfullname: getaddrinfo failed for name
>> FedoraServer.xxxxx.local [Unknown error]
>>
>> When I put a tail on the above log, this is where it hangs until the
>> password prompt comes up
>>

>> How do I fix this?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>>

>> # more /etc/hosts
>> 127.0.0.1   server.storall.local localhost localhost.localdomain
>> localhost4 loca lhost4.localdomain4
>> ::1         localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6
>> localhost6.localdomain6
>>

> Hi, are you using dhcp ?
> If you are, change /etc/hosts to this:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> ::1 localhost
>
> If you aren't, then 'server.storall.local' should point to its IP not
> '127.0.0.1'
>
> Rowland

Hi Rowland,

The server also is also DDNS (dynamic domain name server)
server, which means dhcpd talks to bind.  If uses a fixed IP

And "host" does find the IP from host the forward and reverse
tables, with or without the domain name attached.

To get rid of the slows, I need an entry that points to 127.0.0.1
in /etc/hosts for the server's host name.  And, I also
have to spell the server's name correctly in hosts, which
was my screw up.

The entry I showed above did the trick.  This has
been reproduced now on two separate machines at two
separate customer sites.

The second customer site does not serve dhcpd or bind.
It gets a dhcp fixed IP from a Watchguard firewall based
on its MAC address.  The symptom was the same on both
of servers and the cure was the same as well.

Thank you for the help!

-T