samba-tool throws Segmentation fault since 4.6

samba-tool throws Segmentation fault since 4.6

Samba - General mailing list
Dear list,

since Samba 4.6 (holds also for 4.7) samba-tool started throwing
segmentation faults on my systems for some operations: This includes
e.g. domain join after filling the "questionnaire", ntacl sysvolcheck,
drs showrepl etc. Others like testparm seem to work as they used to do.

I have filed a bug report (#12682), but no reply so far. Since I am not
a python expert, I have no idea where to start debugging. Would you mind
to assist?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards
Johannes

Re: samba-tool throws Segmentation fault since 4.6

Samba - General mailing list
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 19:46:20 +0200
Johannes Engel via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> since Samba 4.6 (holds also for 4.7) samba-tool started throwing
> segmentation faults on my systems for some operations: This includes
> e.g. domain join after filling the "questionnaire", ntacl
> sysvolcheck, drs showrepl etc. Others like testparm seem to work as
> they used to do.
>
> I have filed a bug report (#12682), but no reply so far. Since I am
> not a python expert, I have no idea where to start debugging. Would
> you mind to assist?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Best regards
> Johannes

You are going to have to give us a lot more info.

What OS ?
Self compiled or from OS packages ?
How is Samba set up, What is in smb.conf, krb5.conf, /etc/hosts etc

Re: samba-tool throws Segmentation fault since 4.6

Hi Johannes,

Am 16.07.2017 um 19:46 schrieb Johannes Engel via samba:
> since Samba 4.6 (holds also for 4.7) samba-tool started throwing
> segmentation faults on my systems for some operations: This includes
> e.g. domain join after filling the "questionnaire", ntacl sysvolcheck,
> drs showrepl etc. Others like testparm seem to work as they used to do.
>
> I have filed a bug report (#12682), but no reply so far. Since I am not
> a python expert, I have no idea where to start debugging. Would you mind
> to assist?

I can tell you why nobody responses to your BZ: It's as helpful as
telling the car mechanic: "Something in my car does sometimes not work.
Please fix it". ;-)

Please add more details to the BZ, such as:
* Do you get the same error for all 3 sub-commands?
* Provide at least the full output of the commands.
* OS + version?
* What else has been changed since it worked the last time?
* smb.conf
* AD environment information
* etc.

Regards,
Marc

Re: samba-tool throws Segmentation fault since 4.6

Samba - General mailing list
Hi all,

thanks for taking the time for an answer. Let me try to fill in the gaps:
Same error with all commands, a simple "Segmentation fault".
OS is always openSUSE Leap 42.2, packages from Open Build Service
(http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/j-engel:/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/).
Spec files for building the package are pretty much the same between 4.5
and 4.6/4.7. I tried with a fresh install without any smb.conf (Domain
provisioning), still same error. I have not tested every single command,
that's why I pointed out a few examples of commands that work and those
that don't, hoping that someone could recognize a pattern.

What else could I contribute? Python version is the same (2.7.13) as it
used to be and still works with the build of samba 4.5.

Best regards
Johannes

Am 16.07.2017 um 20:17 schrieb Marc Muehlfeld:

> Hi Johannes,
>
> Am 16.07.2017 um 19:46 schrieb Johannes Engel via samba:
>> since Samba 4.6 (holds also for 4.7) samba-tool started throwing
>> segmentation faults on my systems for some operations: This includes
>> e.g. domain join after filling the "questionnaire", ntacl sysvolcheck,
>> drs showrepl etc. Others like testparm seem to work as they used to do.
>>
>> I have filed a bug report (#12682), but no reply so far. Since I am not
>> a python expert, I have no idea where to start debugging. Would you mind
>> to assist?
> I can tell you why nobody responses to your BZ: It's as helpful as
> telling the car mechanic: "Something in my car does sometimes not work.
> Please fix it". ;-)
>
> Please add more details to the BZ, such as:
> * Do you get the same error for all 3 sub-commands?
> * Provide at least the full output of the commands.
> * OS + version?
> * What else has been changed since it worked the last time?
> * smb.conf
> * AD environment information
> * etc.
>

> Regards,
> Marc

Re: samba-tool throws Segmentation fault since 4.6

Samba - General mailing list
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 20:33:14 +0200
Johannes Engel via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> thanks for taking the time for an answer. Let me try to fill in the
> gaps: Same error with all commands, a simple "Segmentation fault".
> OS is always openSUSE Leap 42.2, packages from Open Build Service
> (http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/j-engel:/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/).

This link does not work for me.

> Spec files for building the package are pretty much the same between
> 4.5 and 4.6/4.7. I tried with a fresh install without any smb.conf
> (Domain provisioning), still same error. I have not tested every
> single command, that's why I pointed out a few examples of commands
> that work and those that don't, hoping that someone could recognize a
> pattern.

without seeing the error messages, it is hard to comment.

> What else could I contribute?

You could start with your conf files.

Re: samba-tool throws Segmentation fault since 4.6

Samba - General mailing list
Sorry, typo in the link:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/j-engel/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/

There are no samba-specific config files, since I started from scratch e.g. trying to provision a domain. If you are looking for non-samba config, which one would help?

Best regards
Johannes

Am 16.07.2017 um 20:48 schrieb Rowland Penny:

> On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 20:33:14 +0200
> Johannes Engel via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> thanks for taking the time for an answer. Let me try to fill in the
>> gaps: Same error with all commands, a simple "Segmentation fault".
>> OS is always openSUSE Leap 42.2, packages from Open Build Service
>> (http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/j-engel:/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/).
> This link does not work for me.
>
>> Spec files for building the package are pretty much the same between
>> 4.5 and 4.6/4.7. I tried with a fresh install without any smb.conf
>> (Domain provisioning), still same error. I have not tested every
>> single command, that's why I pointed out a few examples of commands
>> that work and those that don't, hoping that someone could recognize a
>> pattern.
> without seeing the error messages, it is hard to comment.
>> What else could I contribute?
> You could start with your conf files.

Re: samba-tool throws Segmentation fault since 4.6

Samba - General mailing list
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 20:52:04 +0200
Johannes Engel via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry, typo in the link:
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/j-engel/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/

Now I can get in, I can see that is just a repo. How did you build
Samba ? what packages did you install to build Samba ?

> There are no samba-specific config files, since I started from
> scratch e.g. trying to provision a domain. If you are looking for
> non-samba config, which one would help?

smb.conf, /etc/krb5.conf, /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/hostname

Re: samba-tool throws Segmentation fault since 4.6

Samba - General mailing list
Hi Rowland,

you can see the buildlog including all packages installed at build time
here:
https://build.opensuse.org/build/home:j-engel:samba-unstable/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/x86_64/samba46/_log

Please find the files below.

Am 16.07.2017 um 21:08 schrieb Rowland Penny:

> On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 20:52:04 +0200
> Johannes Engel via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, typo in the link:
>>
>> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/j-engel/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/
> Now I can get in, I can see that is just a repo. How did you build
> Samba ? what packages did you install to build Samba ?
>
>> There are no samba-specific config files, since I started from
>> scratch e.g. trying to provision a domain. If you are looking for
>> non-samba config, which one would help?
> smb.conf, /etc/krb5.conf, /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/hostname
/etc/hostname:
testbox1.mydomain.com

/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1    localhost
::1                localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback

/etc/resolv.conf:
search suse

/etc/krb5.conf:
[libdefaults]
[realms]
[logging]
     kdc = FILE:/var/log/krb5/krb5kdc.log
     admin_server = FILE:/var/log/krb5/kadmind.log
     default = SYSLOG:NOTICE:DAEMON

One example session:
testbox1:~ # samba-tool domain provision --interactive --use-rfc2307
Realm: TEST.MYDOMAIN.COM
     Domain [TEST]:
     Server Role (dc, member, standalone) [dc]:
     DNS backend (SAMBA_INTERNAL, BIND9_FLATFILE, BIND9_DLZ, NONE)
[SAMBA_INTERNAL]:
Administrator password:
Retype password:
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
testbox1:~ #

Best regards
Johannes

Re: samba-tool throws Segmentation fault since 4.6

Samba - General mailing list
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 21:45:02 +0200
Johannes Engel via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rowland,
>
> you can see the buildlog including all packages installed at build
> time here:
> https://build.opensuse.org/build/home:j-engel:samba-unstable/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/x86_64/samba46/_log

Sorry, I get this:

anonymous_user(Anonymous user is not allowed here - please login):

So I repeat, what packages have you installed to compile Samba ?

> /etc/hostname:
> testbox1.mydomain.com

This should be just 'testbox1'

> /etc/hosts:
> 127.0.0.1    localhost
> ::1                localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback

Are using dhcp on the test DC ?
You shouldn't be, I would expect to see a line such as:

<DC IP> testbox1.mydomain.com testbox1

> /etc/resolv.conf:
> search suse

You do not have any nameservers

> /etc/krb5.conf:
> [libdefaults]
> [realms]
> [logging]
>      kdc = FILE:/var/log/krb5/krb5kdc.log
>      admin_server = FILE:/var/log/krb5/kadmind.log
>      default = SYSLOG:NOTICE:DAEMON

This should be something like

[libdefaults]
        default_realm = TEST.MYDOMAIN.COM
        dns_lookup_realm = false
        dns_lookup_kdc = true

> One example session:
> testbox1:~ # samba-tool domain provision --interactive --use-rfc2307
> Realm: TEST.MYDOMAIN.COM
>      Domain [TEST]:
>      Server Role (dc, member, standalone) [dc]:
>      DNS backend (SAMBA_INTERNAL, BIND9_FLATFILE, BIND9_DLZ, NONE)
> [SAMBA_INTERNAL]:
> Administrator password:
> Retype password:
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> testbox1:~ #

Try making the changes I suggested above and try the provision again

Re: samba-tool throws Segmentation fault since 4.6

Samba - General mailing list
Hi Rowland,

thanks a lot. Please find the package list here:
https://pastebin.com/H9TyeJfC

I made the changes you suggested, but no change in behaviour.

Best regards
Johannes

Am 16.07.2017 um 22:03 schrieb Rowland Penny:

> On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 21:45:02 +0200
> Johannes Engel via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Rowland,
>>
>> you can see the buildlog including all packages installed at build
>> time here:
>> https://build.opensuse.org/build/home:j-engel:samba-unstable/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/x86_64/samba46/_log
> Sorry, I get this:
>
> anonymous_user(Anonymous user is not allowed here - please login):
>
> So I repeat, what packages have you installed to compile Samba ?
>
>> /etc/hostname:
>> testbox1.mydomain.com
> This should be just 'testbox1'
>
>> /etc/hosts:
>> 127.0.0.1    localhost
>> ::1                localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback
> Are using dhcp on the test DC ?
> You shouldn't be, I would expect to see a line such as:
>
> <DC IP> testbox1.mydomain.com testbox1
>
>> /etc/resolv.conf:
>> search suse
> You do not have any nameservers
>
>> /etc/krb5.conf:
>> [libdefaults]
>> [realms]
>> [logging]
>>       kdc = FILE:/var/log/krb5/krb5kdc.log
>>       admin_server = FILE:/var/log/krb5/kadmind.log
>>       default = SYSLOG:NOTICE:DAEMON
>
> This should be something like
>
> [libdefaults]
> default_realm = TEST.MYDOMAIN.COM
> dns_lookup_realm = false
> dns_lookup_kdc = true
>
>> One example session:
>> testbox1:~ # samba-tool domain provision --interactive --use-rfc2307
>> Realm: TEST.MYDOMAIN.COM
>>       Domain [TEST]:
>>       Server Role (dc, member, standalone) [dc]:
>>       DNS backend (SAMBA_INTERNAL, BIND9_FLATFILE, BIND9_DLZ, NONE)
>> [SAMBA_INTERNAL]:
>> Administrator password:
>> Retype password:
>> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>> testbox1:~ #
>>
> Try making the changes I suggested above and try the provision again
Done, but unfortunately no change. :(

On Sun, 2017-07-16 at 19:46 +0200, Johannes Engel via samba wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> since Samba 4.6 (holds also for 4.7) samba-tool started throwing
> segmentation faults on my systems for some operations: This includes
> e.g. domain join after filling the "questionnaire", ntacl sysvolcheck,
> drs showrepl etc. Others like testparm seem to work as they used to do.
>
> I have filed a bug report (#12682), but no reply so far. Since I am not
> a python expert, I have no idea where to start debugging. Would you mind
> to assist?

First, ensure you have a clean install, without old binaries in the
install tree.  Then you need to get us the backtrace:

gdb --args python bin/samba-tool ...

run

<sigsegv>

bt full

Re: samba-tool throws Segmentation fault since 4.6

Samba - General mailing list
Hi Andrew,

thanks a lot for your help. Please find the gdb dump here:
https://pastebin.com/204kTN09

I seem to be missing some debug symbols though, which I thought are
installed. I will dig deeper tomorrow if necessary. Just let me know.

Best regards
Johannes