samba port 135 conflict with dce service on hpux

samba port 135 conflict with dce service on hpux

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
Hi Team,

I am working to enable samba AD DC on hpux.

On hp-ux we have already running dce service on port 135 and we can’t stop
this service

Thus samba is not able to acquire port 135 for EPMAP (End Point Mapper)
service.

Please suggest possible impact if we start  EPMAP (End Point Mapper)
service on port other then 135 or if any other solution is available.

Regards,

Arjit Kumar

Re: samba port 135 conflict with dce service on hpux

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 11:51:51AM +0530, Arjit Gupta via samba-technical wrote:
> Please suggest possible impact if we start  EPMAP (End Point Mapper)
> service on port other then 135 or if any other solution is available.

It just won't work. You must use a machine where Samba can take over
135. Alternatively, you could start patching Samba to register its
services via the existing EPMAP. This might be possible, but not
without significant code changes in Samba.

Volker

--
Besuchen Sie die verinice.XP 2018 in Berlin,
Anwenderkonferenz für Informationssicherheit

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:[hidden email]

Re: samba port 135 conflict with dce service on hpux

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
On Fri, 2018-01-12 at 09:15 +0100, Volker Lendecke via samba-technical
wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 11:51:51AM +0530, Arjit Gupta via samba-technical wrote:
> > Please suggest possible impact if we start  EPMAP (End Point Mapper)
> > service on port other then 135 or if any other solution is available.
>
> It just won't work. You must use a machine where Samba can take over
> 135. Alternatively, you could start patching Samba to register its
> services via the existing EPMAP. This might be possible, but not
> without significant code changes in Samba.

Additionally, Samba as an AD DC on HP-UX is just going to be a
snowflake: one of a kind.  Take this as a warning that this has never
been tested and is strongly advised against.

Is there a good reason why you can't run up a Linux VM for the AD DC?