samba domain member server: ntp via chrony

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

samba domain member server: ntp via chrony

Samba - General mailing list

I found

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Time_Synchronisation#Set_up_the_ntpd.conf_File_on_a_Unix_Domain_Member

with ntpd.conf

Does anyone use chrony(d) instead and can provide a working config file?

I know how to add a server there, sure, but I wonder if there are any
specific options or parameters that make sense in this context.

--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: samba domain member server: ntp via chrony

Samba - General mailing list
Hi,

On 07/11/2017 08:32 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:
> Does anyone use chrony(d) instead and can provide a working config file?
>
> I know how to add a server there, sure, but I wonder if there are any
> specific options or parameters that make sense in this context.

We are using chrony, because it does a better job, also on our ceph
cluster. Continuous time sync issues with ntp, and with chrony they're
pretty much a thing of the past.

Conf-wise there is no need for anything special, just make sure to use
multiple close stratum-1 sources.

MJ

--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: samba domain member server: ntp via chrony

Samba - General mailing list
Am 2017-07-12 um 10:56 schrieb mj via samba:

> Hi,
>
> On 07/11/2017 08:32 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:
>> Does anyone use chrony(d) instead and can provide a working config file?
>>
>> I know how to add a server there, sure, but I wonder if there are any
>> specific options or parameters that make sense in this context.
>
> We are using chrony, because it does a better job, also on our ceph
> cluster. Continuous time sync issues with ntp, and with chrony they're
> pretty much a thing of the past.
>
> Conf-wise there is no need for anything special, just make sure to use
> multiple close stratum-1 sources.

I wondered if to use the DC as source for the DM server(s) ?
Or set up the same multiple sources for all the sambas.

thx, Stefan



--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: samba domain member server: ntp via chrony

Samba - General mailing list


On 07/12/2017 11:12 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:
> Or set up the same multiple sources for all the sambas.

This is what we do. And again: use stratum-1.

--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: samba domain member server: ntp via chrony

Samba - General mailing list
Am 2017-07-12 um 12:04 schrieb mj via samba:
>
>
> On 07/12/2017 11:12 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:
>> Or set up the same multiple sources for all the sambas.
>
> This is what we do. And again: use stratum-1.

thanks, will do that in my next "configuration phase" ;-)

for now I am happy with a working setup and try not to "touch a running
system"



--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: samba domain member server: ntp via chrony

Samba - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Samba - General mailing list
Can you share you chrony settings?

Im looking for the following setting.
In the restrict line of ntp, we use: mssntp
Which is needed in chrony and last question, does time sync work over AD?
Or are you only using chrony on the member servers?


Greetz,

Louis


> -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
> Van: samba [mailto:[hidden email]] Namens mj via samba
> Verzonden: woensdag 12 juli 2017 10:56
> Aan: [hidden email]
> Onderwerp: Re: [Samba] samba domain member server: ntp via chrony
>
> Hi,
>
> On 07/11/2017 08:32 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:
> > Does anyone use chrony(d) instead and can provide a working
> config file?
> >
> > I know how to add a server there, sure, but I wonder if
> there are any
> > specific options or parameters that make sense in this context.
>
> We are using chrony, because it does a better job, also on
> our ceph cluster. Continuous time sync issues with ntp, and
> with chrony they're pretty much a thing of the past.
>
> Conf-wise there is no need for anything special, just make
> sure to use multiple close stratum-1 sources.
>
> MJ
>
> --
> To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
> instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
>


--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: samba domain member server: ntp via chrony

Samba - General mailing list
Hi,

We tried Chrony. It doesn't seem to synchronize time over AD. Rather it
is inconsistent. We had crazy problems. Finally we had to switch back to
ntp.

Eagerly waiting for settings to try & test again.

--

Thanks & Regards,


Anantha Raghava


Do not print this e-mail unless required. Save Paper & trees.

On 17/07/17 4:36 PM, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:

> Can you share you chrony settings?
>
> Im looking for the following setting.
> In the restrict line of ntp, we use: mssntp
> Which is needed in chrony and last question, does time sync work over AD?
> Or are you only using chrony on the member servers?
>
>
> Greetz,
>
> Louis
>
>
>> -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
>> Van: samba [mailto:[hidden email]] Namens mj via samba
>> Verzonden: woensdag 12 juli 2017 10:56
>> Aan: [hidden email]
>> Onderwerp: Re: [Samba] samba domain member server: ntp via chrony
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 07/11/2017 08:32 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:
>>> Does anyone use chrony(d) instead and can provide a working
>> config file?
>>> I know how to add a server there, sure, but I wonder if
>> there are any
>>> specific options or parameters that make sense in this context.
>> We are using chrony, because it does a better job, also on
>> our ceph cluster. Continuous time sync issues with ntp, and
>> with chrony they're pretty much a thing of the past.
>>
>> Conf-wise there is no need for anything special, just make
>> sure to use multiple close stratum-1 sources.
>>
>> MJ
>>
>> --
>> To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
>> instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
>>
>

--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: samba domain member server: ntp via chrony

Samba - General mailing list
Hi Anantha,

On 17-7-2017 13:14, Anantha Raghava via samba wrote:
>
> Eagerly waiting for settings to try & test again.

I'm sorry I stirred up the waters. As explained in my previous email: we
use chrony for ceph and some other servers, but our AD is still using NTPd.

--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: samba domain member server: ntp via chrony

Samba - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Samba - General mailing list
Hi Louis,

I am using chrony on our ceph cluster. I have no specifics on chrony in
combination with samba. In fact: our DCs / filservers are older, and
from the time when we only used NTP.

The reason we discovered chrony, is because we had continuous time-sync
problems (using ntp) on our ceph cluster. Via the ceph mailinglist we
were suggested to give chrony a try, and it worked out perfectly.

But again: if there are specific issues with chrony/samba, I don't know
them, because our DCs and fileservers are using ntp to time-sync.

Perhaps I should have stated that in my reply to the OP, sorry...

MJ

On 17-7-2017 13:06, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:

> Can you share you chrony settings?
>
> Im looking for the following setting.
> In the restrict line of ntp, we use: mssntp
> Which is needed in chrony and last question, does time sync work over AD?
> Or are you only using chrony on the member servers?
>
>
> Greetz,
>
> Louis
>
>
>> -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
>> Van: samba [mailto:[hidden email]] Namens mj via samba
>> Verzonden: woensdag 12 juli 2017 10:56
>> Aan: [hidden email]
>> Onderwerp: Re: [Samba] samba domain member server: ntp via chrony
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 07/11/2017 08:32 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:
>>> Does anyone use chrony(d) instead and can provide a working
>> config file?
>>>
>>> I know how to add a server there, sure, but I wonder if
>> there are any
>>> specific options or parameters that make sense in this context.
>>
>> We are using chrony, because it does a better job, also on
>> our ceph cluster. Continuous time sync issues with ntp, and
>> with chrony they're pretty much a thing of the past.
>>
>> Conf-wise there is no need for anything special, just make
>> sure to use multiple close stratum-1 sources.
>>
>> MJ
>>
>> --
>> To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
>> instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
>>
>
>

--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: samba domain member server: ntp via chrony

Samba - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Samba - General mailing list
Hai MJ,

Thanks for the info.
I just checked it out, chrony with samba AD is supported as of chrony 3.0.
(*Which is in debian Stretch, so no support on that for jessie. )


Greetz,

Louis


> -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
> Van: samba [mailto:[hidden email]] Namens
> lists via samba
> Verzonden: maandag 17 juli 2017 13:41
> Aan: [hidden email]
> Onderwerp: Re: [Samba] samba domain member server: ntp via chrony
>
> Hi Anantha,
>
> On 17-7-2017 13:14, Anantha Raghava via samba wrote:
> >
> > Eagerly waiting for settings to try & test again.
>
> I'm sorry I stirred up the waters. As explained in my
> previous email: we use chrony for ceph and some other
> servers, but our AD is still using NTPd.
>
> --
> To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
> instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
>


--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba