"homes" vs "home"

Samba - General mailing list
When enabling user homes (via the [homes] section), I see the following shares:

\\server\<username<http://>>

\\server\homes<http://>

Both of which point to the user directory. Is it possible to have a third:

\\server\home<http://>

Which does the same? \\server\homes<http://> is great and all, but I feel that the plural is a bit of a mislabel.

Shak

Re: "homes" vs "home"

Samba - General mailing list
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 16:11:50 +0000
Shakil Shaikh via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When enabling user homes (via the [homes] section), I see the
> following shares:
>

> \\server\<username<http://>>
>
> \\server\homes<http://>
>

> Both of which point to the user directory. Is it possible to have a
> third:
>

> \\server\home<http://>
>

> Which does the same? \\server\homes<http://> is great and all, but I
> feel that the plural is a bit of a mislabel.
>

> Shak

What is the homes share on ?
How have you set smb.conf up ?
What version of Samba ?

Sorry, but you haven't given us enough info.

Re: "homes" vs "home"

Samba - General mailing list
> What is the homes share on ?

I'm not quite sure what this is asking. The paths are of the form /data/homefolder/<users>, on a mounted local disk.

> How have you set smb.conf up ?

The homes section is as follows:

[homes]
comment = Home directories
browseable = yes
writable = yes
create mask = 0600
force create mode = 0600
directory mask = 0700
force directory mode = 0700
valid users = %S
hide special files = yes
follow symlinks = yes
vfs objects =

> What version of Samba ?

Version 4.2.14-Debian (I'm actually using Open Media Vault)

Thanks,

Shak

________________________________
Sorry, but you haven't given us enough info.

Re: "homes" vs "home"

Samba - General mailing list
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 16:53:54 +0000
Shakil Shaikh via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > What is the homes share on ?
>
> I'm not quite sure what this is asking. The paths are of the
> form /data/homefolder/<users>, on a mounted local disk.
>
> > How have you set smb.conf up ?
>
> The homes section is as follows:
>
> [homes]
> comment = Home directories
> browseable = yes
> writable = yes
> create mask = 0600
> force create mode = 0600
> directory mask = 0700
> force directory mode = 0700
> valid users = %S
> hide special files = yes
> follow symlinks = yes
> vfs objects =

And the [global] section is ??????

> > What version of Samba ?
>
> Version 4.2.14-Debian (I'm actually using Open Media Vault)

4.2.x is EOL as far as Samba is concerned, is there any way you can
update to a later version, preferably 4.5.x or later

Re: "homes" vs "home"

Samba - General mailing list
Thank you for the replies. After some more reading I realised that path substitution works in general shares and not just [homes], so something like the following achieves what I'm looking for:

[home]
path = /data/users/%U

This works in 4.2.14 (although I am now looking on how to upgrade Samba too!)

Thanks again,

Shak
________________________________
Shakil Shaikh via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > What is the homes share on ?
>
> I'm not quite sure what this is asking. The paths are of the
> form /data/homefolder/<users>, on a mounted local disk.
>
> > How have you set smb.conf up ?
>
> The homes section is as follows:
>
> [homes]
> comment = Home directories
> browseable = yes
> writable = yes
> create mask = 0600
> force create mode = 0600
> directory mask = 0700
> force directory mode = 0700
> valid users = %S
> hide special files = yes
> follow symlinks = yes
> vfs objects =

And the [global] section is ??????

> > What version of Samba ?
>
> Version 4.2.14-Debian (I'm actually using Open Media Vault)

4.2.x is EOL as far as Samba is concerned, is there any way you can
update to a later version, preferably 4.5.x or later

Re: "homes" vs "home"

Samba - General mailing list
On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 08:47:56 +0000
Shakil Shaikh via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for the replies. After some more reading I realised that
> path substitution works in general shares and not just [homes], so
> something like the following achieves what I'm looking for:
>
> [home]
> path = /data/users/%U
>
> This works in 4.2.14 (although I am now looking on how to upgrade
> Samba too!)

Well if it works for you, okay, but what I was trying to find out was,
how are you running Samba. If it is running as an AD DC, then most of
the parameters you have in the share will not work!