problems with samba shares

Samba - General mailing list
Hello,

since last friday (2017-09-22) we have problems with samba shares
outside user home - at 2017-09-21 works all things fine - and no
changes at smb.conf or filesystem.

Version: samba-3.6.23-45.el6_9.x86_64
Linux: Scientific Linux release 6.9 / 2.6.32-696.10.2.el6.x86_64

Problem:
the users can open the samba share and see all files and directories in
topmost level, but he can change into a subfolder or better he get non
error message to open the subfolder, but he can see no content

Hans

Re: problems with samba shares

Samba - General mailing list
On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 10:44:48 +0200
Hans Sachs via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> since last friday (2017-09-22) we have problems with samba shares
> outside user home - at 2017-09-21 works all things fine - and no
> changes at smb.conf or filesystem.
>
> Version: samba-3.6.23-45.el6_9.x86_64
> Linux: Scientific Linux release 6.9 / 2.6.32-696.10.2.el6.x86_64
>
> Problem:
> the users can open the samba share and see all files and directories
> in topmost level, but he can change into a subfolder or better he get
> non error message to open the subfolder, but he can see no content
>
> Hans

Samba 3.6.x is EOL as far as Samba is concerned, it went EOL over 2
years ago.

This shouldn't be causing your problems though and has you say nothing
has changed on your Samba system, this sort of points to the other
direction, has anything changed on the clients ? Did any updates
happen ? If so, this may point in the right direction.

Can you post the smb.conf from the Samba server.

Am 26.09.2017 um 11:17 schrieb Rowland Penny:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 10:44:48 +0200
> Hans Sachs via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> since last friday (2017-09-22) we have problems with samba shares
>> outside user home - at 2017-09-21 works all things fine - and no
>> changes at smb.conf or filesystem.
>>
>> Version: samba-3.6.23-45.el6_9.x86_64
>> Linux: Scientific Linux release 6.9 / 2.6.32-696.10.2.el6.x86_64
>>
>> Problem:
>> the users can open the samba share and see all files and directories
>> in topmost level, but he can change into a subfolder or better he get
>> non error message to open the subfolder, but he can see no content
>>
>> Hans
>>

> Samba 3.6.x is EOL as far as Samba is concerned, it went EOL over 2
> years ago.
>
> This shouldn't be causing your problems though and has you say nothing
> has changed on your Samba system, this sort of points to the other
> direction, has anything changed on the clients ? Did any updates
> happen ? If so, this may point in the right direction.
>
> Can you post the smb.conf from the Samba server.
>
> Rowland

Hello Rowland,

that's correct from last thursday to friday we made no modifikation on
smb.conf or at the rights of the filesystem - only automatic security
updates was active.

Before this time we have no problems.

this is ok:
\\fb09-pg-s400\clc01\18_Drought_Stress_Selection_Tools_Marie_Hohmann

but the access at the subfolder failed - Windows: no access

here smb.conf

# setsebool -P samba_export_all_rw on
# setsebool -P samba_enable_home_dirs on
# setsebool -P samba_domain_controller on

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================

[global]

# ----------------------- Network Related Options -------------------------
        workgroup = fb09-pg
        server string = CLCGenomicsServer
        netbios name = FB09-PG-S400
        interfaces = 127.0.0.1/8  134.176.X.X
    bind interfaces only = yes
    hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 134.176.

# --------------------------- Seperate Options -------------------------
        deadtime = 10
        time server = yes
        max protocol = SMB2

# --------------------------- Logging Options -----------------------------
            log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
            max log size = 50
        log level = 5

# ----------------------- Standalone Server Options ------------------------
            security = user
        encrypt passwords =  yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        map to guest = never
        invalid users = root
        guest ok = no
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

# ----------------------- Browser Control Options
----------------------------
        local master = yes
        os level = 65
        preferred master = yes

#----------------------------- Name Resolution
-------------------------------
        wins support = no
        wins server = 134.176.X.X
        wins proxy = yes
        dns proxy = yes
    name resolve order = dns wins bcast lmhosts

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
## follow symlinks = yes
## wide links = yes
unix extensions = no

==============================

[homes]
   comment = home of '%u'
   browseable = no
   read only = no
   printable = no
   create mode = 0660
   directory mask = 0770
   hide dot files = yes
   guest ok = no
   inherit acls = Yes
   follow symlinks = yes
   wide links = yes
   locking = no

[clc01]
   comment = CLC Genomics Server
   browseable = yes
   printable = no
   create mode = 0660
   directory mask = 0770
   hide dot files = yes
   locking = yes
   path = /home/s400/clc01
   valid users = @pz1
   write list = +pz1
   writeable = yes
   guest ok = no
   inherit acls = yes
   follow symlinks = no
   wide links = no
   force group = pz1

Re: problems with samba shares

Samba - General mailing list
On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 11:59:51 +0200
Hans Sachs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Rowland,
>
> that's correct from last thursday to friday we made no modifikation on
> smb.conf or at the rights of the filesystem - only automatic security
> updates was active.
>
> Before this time we have no problems.

Then it looks like a Windows update has changed something, try changing:

max protocol = SMB2

max protocol = NT1

I know you probably don't want to do this, but try it as a test, if
this fixes your problem, then you know what the problem is.

Re: problems with samba shares

Samba - General mailing list
Hello Rowland,

"max protocol = NT1" don't fix the problem, but ...

yesterday came a new kernel update -- and on a second other
server (same OS and  Samba version) was the problem solved.

Hans