print spool file not created

Ed Heron
  Gentoo Linux, recently updated (emerge --sync ; emerge -u --deep world).
kernel 2.4.26.  Samba 3.0.10.  lprng 3.8.27.

  When I print a test page from WinXP-Home, it appears to accept it.
However, it doesn't create a spool file and then when samba runs my lpr
command, it gets an error (33).  I've changed the print command to lpr -P%p
%s in order to have the spool file, but it isn't there.

  attached is output from testparm -s /etc/samba/smb.conf
  attached is output from grep 5412 daemon.log

  I noticed these lines, but they are all the error messages I can see in
the logs.
call_nt_transact_ioctl(0x280004): Currently not implemented.
error packet at smbd/nttrans.c(2280) cmd=160 (SMBnttrans)
NT_STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED
error packet at smbd/nttrans.c(2280) cmd=160 (SMBnttrans)
NT_STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED
Running the command `lpr -Poo-lj4si smbprn.00000055.A5WY3n' gave 33

  I've been using Samba for years.  As you can tell from the size of my
smb.conf, I'm moving into a rather large installation.  All printers are
accessible from each server then passed to the server local to the printer
using lprng.  The lprng part works well.