most

Samba - linux mailing list
I came upon this pager here. So I have installed it.
https://www.2daygeek.com/linux-color-man-pages-configuration-less-most-command/

{
Add below environment variable into .bashrc file.

$ export PAGER="most"
or
$ export PAGER="/usr/bin/most -s"

Run the following command to take this effect.

# source ~/.bashrc

Now, open any command man page which will show colored output.
}

As I use the fish shell, I suppose that I must instead adjust
"config.fish". Please advise.
--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/

Re: most

Samba - linux mailing list
On 4 October 2017 at 22:12, Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) via linux
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I came upon this pager here. So I have installed it.
> https://www.2daygeek.com/linux-color-man-pages-configuration-less-most-command/
>
> {
> Add below environment variable into .bashrc file.
>
> $ export PAGER="most"
> or
> $ export PAGER="/usr/bin/most -s"
>
> Run the following command to take this effect.
>
> # source ~/.bashrc
>
> Now, open any command man page which will show colored output.
> }
>
> As I use the fish shell, I suppose that I must instead adjust "config.fish".
> Please advise.

Try something like this:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25632846/how-to-set-environment-variables-in-fish-shell

Just an FYI: I used most as my pager for a while; I don't remember the
exact problem, but there were some incompatibility issues with various
tools assuming a less-like pager (possibly my trying to set colouring
in man pages, etc.?).

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]

Re: most

Samba - linux mailing list
Thanks, Ivan:

I wrote as follows.

>> I came upon this pager here. So I have installed it.
>> https://www.2daygeek.com/linux-color-man-pages-configuration-less-most-command/
>>
>> {
>> Add below environment variable into .bashrc file.
>>
>> $ export PAGER="most"
>> or
>> $ export PAGER="/usr/bin/most -s"
>>
>> Run the following command to take this effect.
>>
>> # source ~/.bashrc
>>
>> Now, open any command man page which will show colored output.
>> }

So now I have Man page listings grotesquely coloured in Bash!

Then I wrote as follows.

>> As I use the fish shell, I suppose that I must instead adjust "config.fish".
>> Please advise.

To which you replied thus.

> Try something like this:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25632846/how-to-set-environment-variables-in-fish-shell

I put the following line in my config.fish file.
{
set PAGER most
}

But this has not coloured Man page listing.

Would a fish shell user explain how to make this effect in that shell?

--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/

Re: most

Samba - linux mailing list
On 21 November 2017 at 19:58, Bryan Kilgallin via linux <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Try something like this:
>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25632846/how-to-set-envi
>> ronment-variables-in-fish-shell
>>

> I put the following line in my config.fish file.
> {
> set PAGER most
> }
>
> But this has not coloured Man page listing.
>
> Would a fish shell user explain how to make this effect in that shell?

As explained in the linked document provided, from any shell enter:
set -Ux PAGER most

David

Re: most

Samba - linux mailing list
Thanks, David:

I had written as follows.

>     I put the following line in my config.fish file.
>     {
>     set PAGER most
>     }

You wrote thus.

> As explained in the linked document provided, from any shell enter:
> set -Ux PAGER most

Your recommendation worked! So the options "-Ux" were required. Which I
had not understood.

{
-U or --universal causes the specified shell variable to be given a
universal scope. If this option is supplied, the variable will be shared
between all the current users fish instances on the current computer,
and will be preserved across restarts of the shell.
-x or --export causes the specified shell variable to be exported to
child processes (making it an "environment variable")
}

https://fishshell.com/docs/current/commands.html#set

--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/

Re: most

Samba - linux mailing list
Quoting Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) via linux from 04 Oct (a Wednesday in 2017) at 2212 hours...
> Now, open any command man page which will show colored output.

As an aside, my favourite alternative manpage viewer is `pinfo` - which
is an info documentation browser which makes info tolerably not-bad, and
also creates hyperlinks within manpages (use `pinfo -m` to make it use
manpages by default)

(disclaimer: whilst I think pinfo is great for these features, my
*actual* manpage usage is served well enough by defaults, and I'm on
a wide enough range of machines, that I rarely bother even installing
pinfo, since consistent environment has turned out to be more useful
over the years...)

.../Nemo

Re: most

Samba - linux mailing list
Thanks, Nemo:

> As an aside, my favourite alternative manpage viewer is `pinfo` - which
> is an info documentation browser which makes info tolerably not-bad, and
> also creates hyperlinks within manpages (use `pinfo -m` to make it use
> manpages by default)

That works fine!
--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/