most

Samba - linux mailing list
I came upon this pager here. So I have installed it.
https://www.2daygeek.com/linux-color-man-pages-configuration-less-most-command/

{
Add below environment variable into .bashrc file.

$ export PAGER="most"
or
$ export PAGER="/usr/bin/most -s"

Run the following command to take this effect.

# source ~/.bashrc

Now, open any command man page which will show colored output.
}

As I use the fish shell, I suppose that I must instead adjust
"config.fish". Please advise.
--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/

Re: most

Samba - linux mailing list
On 4 October 2017 at 22:12, Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) via linux
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I came upon this pager here. So I have installed it.
> https://www.2daygeek.com/linux-color-man-pages-configuration-less-most-command/
>
> {
> Add below environment variable into .bashrc file.
>
> $ export PAGER="most"
> or
> $ export PAGER="/usr/bin/most -s"
>
> Run the following command to take this effect.
>
> # source ~/.bashrc
>
> Now, open any command man page which will show colored output.
> }
>
> As I use the fish shell, I suppose that I must instead adjust "config.fish".
> Please advise.

Try something like this:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25632846/how-to-set-environment-variables-in-fish-shell

Just an FYI: I used most as my pager for a while; I don't remember the
exact problem, but there were some incompatibility issues with various
tools assuming a less-like pager (possibly my trying to set colouring
in man pages, etc.?).

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]

Re: most

Samba - linux mailing list
Thanks, Ivan:

I wrote as follows.

>> I came upon this pager here. So I have installed it.
>> https://www.2daygeek.com/linux-color-man-pages-configuration-less-most-command/
>>
>> {
>> Add below environment variable into .bashrc file.
>>
>> $ export PAGER="most"
>> or
>> $ export PAGER="/usr/bin/most -s"
>>
>> Run the following command to take this effect.
>>
>> # source ~/.bashrc
>>
>> Now, open any command man page which will show colored output.
>> }

So now I have Man page listings grotesquely coloured in Bash!

Then I wrote as follows.

>> As I use the fish shell, I suppose that I must instead adjust "config.fish".
>> Please advise.

To which you replied thus.

> Try something like this:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25632846/how-to-set-environment-variables-in-fish-shell

I put the following line in my config.fish file.
{
set PAGER most
}

But this has not coloured Man page listing.

Would a fish shell user explain how to make this effect in that shell?

--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/

Re: most

Samba - linux mailing list
On 21 November 2017 at 19:58, Bryan Kilgallin via linux <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Try something like this:
>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25632846/how-to-set-envi
>> ronment-variables-in-fish-shell
>>

> I put the following line in my config.fish file.
> {
> set PAGER most
> }
>
> But this has not coloured Man page listing.
>
> Would a fish shell user explain how to make this effect in that shell?

As explained in the linked document provided, from any shell enter:
set -Ux PAGER most

David

Re: most

Samba - linux mailing list
Thanks, David:

I had written as follows.

>     I put the following line in my config.fish file.
>     {
>     set PAGER most
>     }

You wrote thus.

> As explained in the linked document provided, from any shell enter:
> set -Ux PAGER most

Your recommendation worked! So the options "-Ux" were required. Which I
had not understood.

{
-U or --universal causes the specified shell variable to be given a
universal scope. If this option is supplied, the variable will be shared
between all the current users fish instances on the current computer,
and will be preserved across restarts of the shell.
-x or --export causes the specified shell variable to be exported to
child processes (making it an "environment variable")
}

https://fishshell.com/docs/current/commands.html#set

--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/

Re: most

Samba - linux mailing list
Quoting Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) via linux from 04 Oct (a Wednesday in 2017) at 2212 hours...
> Now, open any command man page which will show colored output.

As an aside, my favourite alternative manpage viewer is `pinfo` - which
is an info documentation browser which makes info tolerably not-bad, and
also creates hyperlinks within manpages (use `pinfo -m` to make it use
manpages by default)

(disclaimer: whilst I think pinfo is great for these features, my
*actual* manpage usage is served well enough by defaults, and I'm on
a wide enough range of machines, that I rarely bother even installing
pinfo, since consistent environment has turned out to be more useful
over the years...)

.../Nemo

Re: most

Samba - linux mailing list
Thanks, Nemo:

> As an aside, my favourite alternative manpage viewer is `pinfo` - which
> is an info documentation browser which makes info tolerably not-bad, and
> also creates hyperlinks within manpages (use `pinfo -m` to make it use
> manpages by default)

That works fine!
--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/

Issue where gufw losing settings on reboot

Samba - linux mailing list

In a Debian Stretch computer I have been using gufw as simple Firewall
GUI.  It seem quite effective and easy to use, but...

I am curious if anyone has seen a similar issue to the one I describe
below;

I run gufw with both incoming and outgoing set to Deny and only open
the specific ports that I wanted to have open.

However I had been having issues where various ports would not work
when I powered the computer on.

I started testing with ssh (port 22) to see if could ssh into the
computer, I would get it to work, only to find the next day I could
not connect any more. Now finally I found a way to manually resolve
the issue.

To resolve this issue, using gufw I would simply set Outgoing from
Deny to Allow, and all would work. Then I discovered that setting
Outgoing  from Deny to to Allow, then back to Deny, also worked. I
also found that setting the Incoming to Allow and back to Deny would
work too. Basically causing gufw to rewrite the firewall settings,
would cause all expected ports to work.

Checking the actual firewall setting using "iptables -L >
settings1.txt" directly after powering the computer on. I then ran
gufw, turning outgoing to Allow, and then back to Deny, and then ran
"iptables -L > settings2.txt" and compared the two files.

I found that after on power on or after a reboot of the computer the
"Chain ufw-user-input" setting to open the incoming ssh port was
missing from the configuration.  I don't think this is a ssh issue
specifically, it is just the example I was testing with.  Somehow
gufw is not setting ports correctly on power on.

Part of iptables -L listing after using gufw to Allow and Deny
Outgoing ports (that is to cause gufw to rewrite the firewall
settings)
Chain ufw-user-input (1 references)
target     prot opt source
destination
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere
anywhere             tcp dpt:ssh

Part of iptables -L listing after first powering on the computer or
after a restart (the 'ACCEPT' for the ssh setting is missing)
Chain ufw-user-input (1 references)
target     prot opt source               destination

Well I expect some readers are thinking, just use iptables instead of
gufw (am I correct?). And I guess that is what I will have to do,
until the bug (if it is a bug and not just my installation) is fixed.

If anyone uses gufw, please let me know of your experiences.  Have
you seen this issue?.

Thanks,

George.

Re: Issue where gufw losing settings on reboot

Samba - linux mailing list
On 20/12/17 20:53, George at Clug via linux wrote:
> Well I expect some readers are thinking, just use iptables instead of
> gufw (am I correct?).

OK, I'll bite - yep - I'd just go with iptables and ignore wrappers etc.

cheers,

Bob Edwards.

iptables wrappers and Shorewall (was Re: Issue where gufw losing settings on reboot)

Samba - linux mailing list
On 21/12/17 15:05, Bob Edwards via linux wrote:
> On 20/12/17 20:53, George at Clug via linux wrote:
>> Well I expect some readers are thinking, just use iptables instead of
>> gufw (am I correct?).
>
> OK, I'll bite - yep - I'd just go with iptables and ignore wrappers etc.

I'll chime in and say I really like Shorewall.  It models one layer
above iptables, so you think in terms of zones (net, lan, dmz),
interfaces (eth0 is attached to dmz), policy (deny net to dmz) and rules
(allow net to dmz:10.1.1.50 on ports 80 and 443).

http://shorewall.org/

Every time I've tried to replace it with something higher up the stack
(simpler) or lower, I keep returning to it.

Tony

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 08:53:18PM +1100, George at Clug via linux wrote:

> Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 20:53:18 +1100
> From: George at Clug via linux <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [clug]  Issue where gufw losing settings on reboot
> To: CLUG <[hidden email]>
>
> Hi,
>
> In a Debian Stretch computer I have been using gufw as simple Firewall
> GUI.  It seem quite effective and easy to use, but...
>
> I am curious if anyone has seen a similar issue to the one I describe
> below;
>
> I run gufw with both incoming and outgoing set to Deny and only open
> the specific ports that I wanted to have open.
>
> However I had been having issues where various ports would not work
> when I powered the computer on.
>

> If anyone uses gufw, please let me know of your experiences.  Have
> you seen this issue?.
>
> Thanks,
>
> George.

I am not competent with iptables, nor have I used gufw, but I found ufw
usable.
Maybe it would be worth using for testing at least.
My 2c

John Mills

Re: Issue where gufw losing settings on reboot

Samba - linux mailing list
Same here, John:

> I am not competent with iptables, nor have I used gufw, but I found ufw
> usable.

I didn't feel competent on that subject's technical detail.

But gufw calls itself "Firewall Configuration" on my tower PC.
Profile: Office/Home/Public
Incoming: Allow/Deny/Reject
Outgoing: Allow/Deny/Reject

--