migrating linux-cifs-client@lists.samba.org to linux-cifs@vger.kernel.org

Jeff Layton-4
A few months ago we discussed moving the linux-cifs-client list to
[hidden email]. The main reason to do this is that the
linux-cifs list will be open for non-subscribers to post, whereas the
existing list isn't. That's quite problematic for people who wish to cc
the list when sending patches.

The new linux-cifs list already exists, but is currently unused. Here's
a first pass at a plan to migrate to the new list:

1) have the typical community archives and patchwork servers begin
archiving the new list. Right off the top of my head is:

archives (any that I'm missing?):
---------------------------------
marc.info
markmail.org

patchwork:
----------
patchwork.kernel.org
patchwork.ozlabs.org

...can anyone else think of others that should be notified of the
change?

We'll also need to change mailto links on websites, Linux MAINTAINERS
file, etc...

2) subscribe [hidden email] to the old list. This is an
interim step to make sure that posts to the old list don't get dropped.

3) get a list of subscribers for [hidden email] and
do a mass-mailing to notify them to subscribe to the new list and
unsubscribe from the old (John has said that he could help with this).

4) after a month or so, unsubscribe anyone left on the old list and
start bouncing emails sent to it.

Am I missing anything? If not, I'll work on hashing out some firm dates
for all of this to happen.

--
Jeff Layton <[hidden email]>

Re: migrating linux-cifs-client@lists.samba.org to linux-cifs@vger.kernel.org

Suresh Jayaraman-2
On 05/17/2010 10:42 PM, Jeff Layton wrote:

> A few months ago we discussed moving the linux-cifs-client list to
> [hidden email]. The main reason to do this is that the
> linux-cifs list will be open for non-subscribers to post, whereas the
> existing list isn't. That's quite problematic for people who wish to cc
> the list when sending patches.
>

> The new linux-cifs list already exists, but is currently unused. Here's
> a first pass at a plan to migrate to the new list:
>
> 1) have the typical community archives and patchwork servers begin
> archiving the new list. Right off the top of my head is:
>
> archives (any that I'm missing?):
> ---------------------------------
> marc.info
> markmail.org

gmane.org, perhaps?

> patchwork:
> ----------
> patchwork.kernel.org
> patchwork.ozlabs.org
>
> ...can anyone else think of others that should be notified of the
> change?
>
> We'll also need to change mailto links on websites, Linux MAINTAINERS
> file, etc...
>
> 2) subscribe [hidden email] to the old list. This is an
> interim step to make sure that posts to the old list don't get dropped.
>
> 3) get a list of subscribers for [hidden email] and
> do a mass-mailing to notify them to subscribe to the new list and
> unsubscribe from the old (John has said that he could help with this).
>
> 4) after a month or so, unsubscribe anyone left on the old list and
> start bouncing emails sent to it.
>
> Am I missing anything? If not, I'll work on hashing out some firm dates
> for all of this to happen.

Sounds like a good plan..

Suresh Jayaraman

Re: migrating linux-cifs-client@lists.samba.org to linux-cifs@vger.kernel.org

Jeff Layton-4
On Wed, 26 May 2010 14:05:37 +0530
Suresh Jayaraman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/17/2010 10:42 PM, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > A few months ago we discussed moving the linux-cifs-client list to
> > [hidden email]. The main reason to do this is that the
> > linux-cifs list will be open for non-subscribers to post, whereas the
> > existing list isn't. That's quite problematic for people who wish to cc
> > the list when sending patches.
> >

> > The new linux-cifs list already exists, but is currently unused. Here's
> > a first pass at a plan to migrate to the new list:
> >
> > 1) have the typical community archives and patchwork servers begin
> > archiving the new list. Right off the top of my head is:
> >
> > archives (any that I'm missing?):
> > marc.info
> > markmail.org
>
> gmane.org, perhaps?