man page

Marcus Fonzarelli
Hi,

I've found this in the man page for rsync: "To backup my wife’s home directory, which consists of large MS Word files and mail folders, I use a cron job that runs ...".

I believe it's very inappropriate and inconsiderate to mention Microsoft products unless it's really necessary. I'm mostly concerned with the fact that this careless usage not only gives them more publicity than they deserve, but also gives those programs a legitimacy that they don't have since they are proprietary software (and also promoting proprietary standards).

Therefore I'd like to suggest that the man page be changed to "which consists of large documents and mail folders", or at least mention another software such as LibreOffice.

Thanks for the understanding.

Re: man page

Karl O. Pinc
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 14:56:07 +0300
Marcus Fonzarelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Therefore I'd like to suggest that the man page be changed to "which
> consists of large documents and mail folders", or at least mention
> another software such as LibreOffice.

Submitting a patch would be a good start.  Gotta make it easy on the
maintainers.

Karl <[hidden email]>
Free Software:  "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein

Re: man page

Tony Reed
I would rather the maintainers would spend their time improving the application, and not worrying aobut the OP's hurt little open-sourced religious feelings. I use rsync to transfer pretty massive (wait for it) ADOBE PHOTOSHOP files around my LAN. Neener  neener fucken neener.

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Karl O. Pinc <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 14:56:07 +0300
Marcus Fonzarelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Therefore I'd like to suggest that the man page be changed to "which
> consists of large documents and mail folders", or at least mention
> another software such as LibreOffice.

Submitting a patch would be a good start.  Gotta make it easy on the
maintainers.

Karl <[hidden email]>
Free Software:  "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein

Re: man page

Kevin Korb
I would agree.

Plus he said this was something he did to help his wife.  It is entirely
possible that he runs a Samba server to assists a non-technical wife
just like a corporate IT department would do.

On 07/27/2016 02:26 PM, Tony Reed wrote:

> I would rather the maintainers would spend their time improving the
> application, and not worrying aobut the OP's hurt little open-sourced
> religious feelings. I use rsync to transfer pretty massive (wait for it)
> ADOBE PHOTOSHOP files around my LAN. Neener  neener fucken neener.
>
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Karl O. Pinc <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 14:56:07 +0300
>     Marcus Fonzarelli <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>     > Therefore I'd like to suggest that the man page be changed to "which
>     > consists of large documents and mail folders", or at least mention
>     > another software such as LibreOffice.
>
>     Submitting a patch would be a good start.  Gotta make it easy on the
>     maintainers.
>
>     Karl <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     Free Software:  "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
>                      -- Robert A. Heinlein
>
>     --
>     Please use reply-all for most replies to avoid omitting the mailing
>     list.

> Tony Reed

~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,
        Kevin Korb Phone:    (407) 252-6853
        Systems Administrator Internet:
        FutureQuest, Inc. [hidden email]  (work)
        Orlando, Florida [hidden email] (personal)
        Web page: http://www.sanitarium.net/
        PGP public key available on web site.
~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,

Re: man page

Marcus Fonzarelli
So I guess you're the bully of the community here. Strong opinions without understanding, talk shit, and nothing useful to contribute.

27.07.2016, 21:54, "Tony Reed" <[hidden email]>:
I would rather the maintainers would spend their time improving the application, and not worrying aobut the OP's hurt little open-sourced religious feelings. I use rsync to transfer pretty massive (wait for it) ADOBE PHOTOSHOP files around my LAN. Neener  neener fucken neener.

Re: man page

Tony Reed
Nah, this is the first time I've posted here in years. Gennaly things just tick over with the application moving along in a nice straightforward manner, improvment upon improvement. Rsync is one of the mose important and usefu apps available for Linux and OS X (powered by APPLE!!!!); followed by ffmpeg and vlc (and Apache, I guess, but I don't do  much of that anymore). The docs are very well-written and I'm sorry that you and Herr Obermeister Schtallman have had your sad little feelings hurt by the mere mention of !!!!MICROSOFT!!!!! I used to maintain a couple of packages for
CRUX and there was a lot of that misplaced zealotry in those parts. I don't beweeve in the widda baby jesus neither. Neener. I used to be Juanita's old boyfriend, and all that.

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 3:45 PM, Marcus Fonzarelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
So I guess you're the bully of the community here. Strong opinions without understanding, talk shit, and nothing useful to contribute.

27.07.2016, 21:54, "Tony Reed" <[hidden email]>:
I would rather the maintainers would spend their time improving the application, and not worrying aobut the OP's hurt little open-sourced religious feelings. I use rsync to transfer pretty massive (wait for it) ADOBE PHOTOSHOP files around my LAN. Neener  neener fucken neener.

Re: man page

Karl O. Pinc
Let me start with a reference to Nazis, just so we can reach
the Godwin-point and be done with it.

If somebody thinks they can improve the documentation let them
submit a patch.  This provides something concrete for people
to comment on and the maintainers can make a decision
as to whether they want to make the proposed change.

Until I see something in writing I've no opinion one way or
another.  As a rule, getting rid of extra words makes
for clearer sentences.   The sticking point is in what is
considered "extra".

On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 14:15:51 -0400
Tony Reed <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nah, this is the first time I've posted here in years. Gennaly things
> just tick over with the application moving along in a nice
> straightforward manner, improvment upon improvement. Rsync is one of
> the mose important and usefu apps available for Linux and OS X
> (powered by APPLE!!!!); followed by ffmpeg and vlc (and Apache, I
> guess, but I don't do  much of that anymore). The docs are very
> well-written and I'm sorry that you and Herr Obermeister Schtallman
> have had your sad little feelings hurt by the mere mention
> of !!!!MICROSOFT!!!!! I used to maintain a couple of packages for
> CRUX and there was a lot of that misplaced zealotry in those parts. I
> don't beweeve in the widda baby jesus neither. Neener. I used to be
> Juanita's old boyfriend, and all that.
>
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 3:45 PM, Marcus Fonzarelli <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > So I guess you're the bully of the community here. Strong opinions
> > without understanding, talk shit, and nothing useful to contribute.
> >

> > 27.07.2016, 21:54, "Tony Reed" <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > I would rather the maintainers would spend their time improving the
> > application, and not worrying aobut the OP's hurt little
> > open-sourced religious feelings. I use rsync to transfer pretty
> > massive (wait for it) ADOBE PHOTOSHOP files around my LAN. Neener
> > neener fucken neener.

Karl <[hidden email]>
Free Software:  "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein

Re: man page

Tony Reed
Aww, c'mon Karl, I thought I'd covered Godwin with my reference to Herr Schtallman ...

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 3:05 PM, Karl O. Pinc <[hidden email]> wrote:
Let me start with a reference to Nazis, just so we can reach
the Godwin-point and be done with it.

If somebody thinks they can improve the documentation let them
submit a patch.  This provides something concrete for people
to comment on and the maintainers can make a decision
as to whether they want to make the proposed change.

Until I see something in writing I've no opinion one way or
another.  As a rule, getting rid of extra words makes
for clearer sentences.   The sticking point is in what is
considered "extra".

On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 14:15:51 -0400
Tony Reed <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nah, this is the first time I've posted here in years. Gennaly things
> just tick over with the application moving along in a nice
> straightforward manner, improvment upon improvement. Rsync is one of
> the mose important and usefu apps available for Linux and OS X
> (powered by APPLE!!!!); followed by ffmpeg and vlc (and Apache, I
> guess, but I don't do  much of that anymore). The docs are very
> well-written and I'm sorry that you and Herr Obermeister Schtallman
> have had your sad little feelings hurt by the mere mention
> of !!!!MICROSOFT!!!!! I used to maintain a couple of packages for
> CRUX and there was a lot of that misplaced zealotry in those parts. I
> don't beweeve in the widda baby jesus neither. Neener. I used to be
> Juanita's old boyfriend, and all that.
>
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 3:45 PM, Marcus Fonzarelli <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > So I guess you're the bully of the community here. Strong opinions
> > without understanding, talk shit, and nothing useful to contribute.
> >

> > 27.07.2016, 21:54, "Tony Reed" <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > I would rather the maintainers would spend their time improving the
> > application, and not worrying aobut the OP's hurt little
> > open-sourced religious feelings. I use rsync to transfer pretty
> > massive (wait for it) ADOBE PHOTOSHOP files around my LAN. Neener
> > neener fucken neener.

Karl <[hidden email]>
Free Software:  "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein

Re: man page

Grzegorz Borowiak
I appreciate the parable of helping non-technical users (or, more
precisely, users not keen on IT). As I understand, placement of
software like Word or Photoshop servers this purpose. But both of them
have decent open-source counterparts, and they are better fit for an
rsync manual. Or, if from any reason proprietary software is preferred
in this context (perhaps because it generates even more contrast in
the story), I would better go to regions poorly covered by the open
source community and refer to, for example, AutoCAD or Adobe After
Effects. Maybe this would motivate somebody to start an open-source
CAD or SFX software project.

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 9:31 PM, Kevin Korb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would agree.
>
> Plus he said this was something he did to help his wife.  It is entirely
> possible that he runs a Samba server to assists a non-technical wife
> just like a corporate IT department would do.
>
> On 07/27/2016 02:26 PM, Tony Reed wrote:
>> I would rather the maintainers would spend their time improving the
>> application, and not worrying aobut the OP's hurt little open-sourced
>> religious feelings. I use rsync to transfer pretty massive (wait for it)
>> ADOBE PHOTOSHOP files around my LAN. Neener  neener fucken neener.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Karl O. Pinc <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 14:56:07 +0300
>>     Marcus Fonzarelli <[hidden email]
>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>     > Therefore I'd like to suggest that the man page be changed to "which
>>     > consists of large documents and mail folders", or at least mention
>>     > another software such as LibreOffice.
>>
>>     Submitting a patch would be a good start.  Gotta make it easy on the
>>     maintainers.
>>
>>     Karl <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>     Free Software:  "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
>>                      -- Robert A. Heinlein
>>
>>     --
>>     Please use reply-all for most replies to avoid omitting the mailing
>>     list.
>>

>> --
>> Tony Reed

> ~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,
>         Kevin Korb                      Phone:    (407) 252-6853
>         Systems Administrator           Internet:
>         FutureQuest, Inc.               [hidden email]  (work)
>         Orlando, Florida                [hidden email] (personal)
>         Web page:                       http://www.sanitarium.net/
>         PGP public key available on web site.
> ~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,

Re: man page

ray vantassle
Nobody reads the rsync man page and assumes that it is recommending a commercial product.  And nobody is going to read an "enhanced" rsync man page and get incentivised to start an open-source software project.

Everybody knows that a mention of "Word" or "Photoshop" in an example refers to a generic data file in an example rsync command line.

Stop with the politically correct nonsense.  All this is doing is wasting people's time.

On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 2:09 AM, Grzegorz Borowiak <[hidden email]> wrote:
I appreciate the parable of helping non-technical users (or, more
precisely, users not keen on IT). As I understand, placement of
software like Word or Photoshop servers this purpose. But both of them
have decent open-source counterparts, and they are better fit for an
rsync manual. Or, if from any reason proprietary software is preferred
in this context (perhaps because it generates even more contrast in
the story), I would better go to regions poorly covered by the open
source community and refer to, for example, AutoCAD or Adobe After
Effects. Maybe this would motivate somebody to start an open-source
CAD or SFX software project.

Re: man page

Cindy-Sue Causey
On 8/14/16, Grzegorz Borowiak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I appreciate the parable of helping non-technical users (or, more
> precisely, users not keen on IT). As I understand, placement of
> software like Word or Photoshop servers this purpose. But both of them
> have decent open-source counterparts, and they are better fit for an
> rsync manual.

An example fix might be something like:

"As I understand, placement of software like [a word processor/text
editor] or [an image manipulation program] serves this purpose."

Pretty funny to see this topic come up because I was just in there
literally 2 days ago. That is the largest man page I've ever
encountered. I was wandering through it while contemplating a post
over at a user listserv for [my favorite operating system]. There was
so much information at "man rsync" that it was... cognitively
overwhelming for my brain at that particular moment. *grin*

Rsync remains and likely will always be one of my TOP FIVE all time
must-have Debian/Linux compatible programs.. Thank you for all the
work you all do!

Just thinking out loud... :)

Cindy :)

--