Quantcast

logical volumes alignment

Marco Strullato
Hi all! I'd like to use rsync to keep aligned physical volumes between
linux servers. I know that there are other tools but I really need to
use rsync.

I would like to do something as
rsync /dev/VG/SourceLogicalVolume
root@dest_server:/dev/VG/DestinationLogicalVolume

Do you think could it be possible?

Thanks

Marco

Re: logical volumes alignment

Ming Zhang-3

On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 16:18 +0100, Marco Strullato wrote:
> Hi all! I'd like to use rsync to keep aligned physical volumes between
> linux servers. I know that there are other tools but I really need to
> use rsync.
>
> I would like to do something as
> rsync /dev/VG/SourceLogicalVolume
> root@dest_server:/dev/VG/DestinationLogicalVolume

rsync does not work on special file like block device i believe.

--
Ming Zhang

@#$%^ purging memory... (*!%
http://blackmagic02881.wordpress.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/blackmagic02881

Re: logical volumes alignment

Matt McCutchen-7
On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 12:25 -0500, Ming Zhang wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 16:18 +0100, Marco Strullato wrote:
> > Hi all! I'd like to use rsync to keep aligned physical volumes between
> > linux servers. I know that there are other tools but I really need to
> > use rsync.
> >
> > I would like to do something as
> > rsync /dev/VG/SourceLogicalVolume
> > root@dest_server:/dev/VG/DestinationLogicalVolume
>
> rsync does not work on special file like block device i believe.

Clarification: rsync does not write data into device nodes.  Marco, you
could use dd instead:

dd if=/dev/VG/SourceLogicalVolume \
        | ssh root@dest_server dd of=/dev/VG/DestinationLogicalVolume

If you need delta-transfer, you could modify your copy of rsync to
accept a --keep-devices option, or you could use the rdiff command-line
interface to the delta-transfer algorithm (but you will need a temporary
file on the destination because rdiff doesn't have an option to generate
inplace deltas).

Matt

Re: logical volumes alignment

Sam Przyswa

Le vendredi 14 décembre 2007 à 12:25 -0500, Ming Zhang a écrit :

> On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 16:18 +0100, Marco Strullato wrote:
> > Hi all! I'd like to use rsync to keep aligned physical volumes between
> > linux servers. I know that there are other tools but I really need to
> > use rsync.
> >
> > I would like to do something as
> > rsync /dev/VG/SourceLogicalVolume
> > root@dest_server:/dev/VG/DestinationLogicalVolume
>

> rsync does not work on special file like block device i believe.

I don't know if it's possible to sync logical volumes but the mounted
part of it yes.

I hope this help.

Sam.

--
Ce message a été vérifié par MailScanner
suspect n'a été trouvé.