Quantcast

join W10-PCs to NT4-based samba-domain?

Samba - General mailing list

As you may remember I went through a classic-upgrade a few months ago.

I have a second domain to migrate and I am again/still scared to attack
that ;-)

As I prepare my test VM and try to remember all those details the
customer has purchase 2 new Windows 10 PCs and I was asked to take them
into production.

Is there a way to join them to the existing NT4-based Samba-domain or not?

I find various results online and wonder if it's possible and if I have
to prepare specific things for doing that (registry changes?)

Thanks for an up to date statement on this,
Stefan

ps: I already tried that join 2 weeks ago and wasn't successful ...

Re: join W10-PCs to NT4-based samba-domain?

Samba - General mailing list
On Mon, 15 May 2017 13:25:03 +0200
"Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As you may remember I went through a classic-upgrade a few months ago.
>
> I have a second domain to migrate and I am again/still scared to
> attack that ;-)
>
> As I prepare my test VM and try to remember all those details the
> customer has purchase 2 new Windows 10 PCs and I was asked to take
> them into production.
>
> Is there a way to join them to the existing NT4-based Samba-domain or
> not?
>
> I find various results online and wonder if it's possible and if I
> have to prepare specific things for doing that (registry changes?)
>
> Thanks for an up to date statement on this,
> Stefan
>
> ps: I already tried that join 2 weeks ago and wasn't successful ...

Windows doesn't support joining Windows 7 to an NT4-style domain, so
they definitely won't support windows 10.

You may find a way around this lack of Microsoft support, you may also
find that a subsequent Windows update stops it working again.

I really think that it is time that anybody still running an NT4-style
domain starts making plans to upgrade to AD.

Just look what has happened over the weekend with wanacry and XP.
Support for XP & Vista has ended, 7 is in extended support, you really
need to be running supported systems.

Am 2017-05-15 um 14:06 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:

> Windows doesn't support joining Windows 7 to an NT4-style domain, so
> they definitely won't support windows 10.

Well, I joined Win7 to NT4-domain back then ... (reg-hack, but anyway)

> You may find a way around this lack of Microsoft support, you may also
> find that a subsequent Windows update stops it working again.
>
> I really think that it is time that anybody still running an NT4-style
> domain starts making plans to upgrade to AD.

I am on my way, sure!

> Just look what has happened over the weekend with wanacry and XP.
> Support for XP & Vista has ended, 7 is in extended support, you really
> need to be running supported systems.

Yes, I agree. Just wanted to take out the pressure a bit.
I now prepare the classic-upgrade within a test VM

Re: join W10-PCs to NT4-based samba-domain?

Samba - General mailing list
On Mon, 15 May 2017 14:11:54 +0200
"Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 2017-05-15 um 14:06 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
>
> > Windows doesn't support joining Windows 7 to an NT4-style domain, so
> > they definitely won't support windows 10.
>
> Well, I joined Win7 to NT4-domain back then ... (reg-hack, but anyway)

You probably can join any windows machine to an NT4-style domain, but
Microsoft isn't making it easy and, going forward, is likely to make it
even harder, if not impossible.

> > You may find a way around this lack of Microsoft support, you may
> > also find that a subsequent Windows update stops it working again.
> >
> > I really think that it is time that anybody still running an
> > NT4-style domain starts making plans to upgrade to AD.
>
> I am on my way, sure!

Good

> > Just look what has happened over the weekend with wanacry and XP.
> > Support for XP & Vista has ended, 7 is in extended support, you
> > really need to be running supported systems.
>
> Yes, I agree. Just wanted to take out the pressure a bit.
> I now prepare the classic-upgrade within a test VM

The only problem that I can see with a classic-upgrade is that Samba
historically allowed some very stupid ID numbers to be used and this is
now coming back to bite people.

Am 2017-05-15 um 14:25 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:

> The only problem that I can see with a classic-upgrade is that Samba
> historically allowed some very stupid ID numbers to be used and this is
> now coming back to bite people.

Yes, I am currently browsing through "my" thread from back then to check
for the details on this. Edited stuff in LDAP etc (as you advised me to do).

classic upgrade in VM runs through quite fine already.

Re: join W10-PCs to NT4-based samba-domain?

> On Mon, 15 May 2017 13:25:03 +0200
> "Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> As you may remember I went through a classic-upgrade a few months ago.
>>
>> I have a second domain to migrate and I am again/still scared to
>> attack that ;-)
>>
>> As I prepare my test VM and try to remember all those details the
>> customer has purchase 2 new Windows 10 PCs and I was asked to take
>> them into production.
>>
>> Is there a way to join them to the existing NT4-based Samba-domain or
>> not?
>>
>> I find various results online and wonder if it's possible and if I
>> have to prepare specific things for doing that (registry changes?)
>>
>> Thanks for an up to date statement on this,
>> Stefan
>>
>> ps: I already tried that join 2 weeks ago and wasn't successful ...
>>

> Windows doesn't support joining Windows 7 to an NT4-style domain, so
> they definitely won't support windows 10.
>
> You may find a way around this lack of Microsoft support, you may also
> find that a subsequent Windows update stops it working again.
>
> I really think that it is time that anybody still running an NT4-style
> domain starts making plans to upgrade to AD.
>
> Just look what has happened over the weekend with wanacry and XP.
> Support for XP & Vista has ended, 7 is in extended support, you really
> need to be running supported systems.
>
> Rowland

Windows 7 may not be able to join to a true NT4 domain.  However you can
(at least you good) set up a Samba  BDC in an NT4 domain and net vampire
the accounts from the NT4 DC.     Windows 7 can join an "classic"
domain.     Windows 10 can join a classic domain (with signandseal
registry change) BUT you have to disable SMB3 on Samba.

Re: join W10-PCs to NT4-based samba-domain?

Samba - General mailing list
On Mon, 15 May 2017 11:14:06 -0400
Gaiseric Vandal via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/15/17 08:06, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 May 2017 13:25:03 +0200
> > "Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> As you may remember I went through a classic-upgrade a few months
> >> ago.
> >>
> >> I have a second domain to migrate and I am again/still scared to
> >> attack that ;-)
> >>
> >> As I prepare my test VM and try to remember all those details the
> >> customer has purchase 2 new Windows 10 PCs and I was asked to take
> >> them into production.
> >>
> >> Is there a way to join them to the existing NT4-based Samba-domain
> >> or not?
> >>
> >> I find various results online and wonder if it's possible and if I
> >> have to prepare specific things for doing that (registry changes?)
> >>
> >> Thanks for an up to date statement on this,
> >> Stefan
> >>
> >> ps: I already tried that join 2 weeks ago and wasn't successful ...
> >>

> > Windows doesn't support joining Windows 7 to an NT4-style domain, so
> > they definitely won't support windows 10.
> >
> > You may find a way around this lack of Microsoft support, you may
> > also find that a subsequent Windows update stops it working again.
> >
> > I really think that it is time that anybody still running an
> > NT4-style domain starts making plans to upgrade to AD.
> >
> > Just look what has happened over the weekend with wanacry and XP.
> > Support for XP & Vista has ended, 7 is in extended support, you
> > really need to be running supported systems.
> >
> > Rowland
> >

> Windows 7 may not be able to join to a true NT4 domain.  However you
> can (at least you good) set up a Samba  BDC in an NT4 domain and net
> vampire the accounts from the NT4 DC.     Windows 7 can join an
> "classic" domain.     Windows 10 can join a classic domain (with
> signandseal registry change) BUT you have to disable SMB3 on Samba.

I did say that you might be able to find a way around the lack of
windows support for a NT4-style domain, but it may suddenly stop
working if Microsoft decides that is what it wants, or if a fix for
something else stops it working.

My personal thoughts are that you would be better off upgrading to AD,
rather than struggling along with an NT4-style domain.

The potential problems of using something that Microsoft doesn't
support have been shown over the weekend, but it is your domain and
you get to pick up the pieces and dodge the brickbats if it goes
wrong ;-)

Am 2017-05-15 um 17:14 schrieb Gaiseric Vandal via samba:

> Windows 10 can join a classic domain (with signandseal
> registry change) BUT you have to disable SMB3 on Samba.

It is disabled there already since I upgraded to samba-4.x ...

What registry change do you refer to?

point 6 at
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Required_Settings_for_Samba_NT4_Domains ??