jcifs.netbios.hostname and authentication

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

jcifs.netbios.hostname and authentication

Paul Duncan-2
Hello,
 
I have a Windows Domain with a policy restricting which users can log on to which workstations.  I am using jCIFS 1.2.7 to authenticate with hosts on this domain.  I see that the jcifs.netbios.hostname property has to be set to the correct hostname before SmbSession.logon(String hostname, NtlmPasswordAuthentication authenticator) is called.  Are there any plans to modify jCIFS so that SmbSession.logon() works correctly on such a Windows Domain without having to set the aforementioned property?  Is the requirement to set this property regarded as a bug in jCIFS?  Thanks.
 
Paul Duncan
 

 


  This message (including any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change. Yolus Limited shall not be responsible for the improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your system. Yolus Limited does not guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference.             


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: jcifs.netbios.hostname and authentication

Michael B Allen-4
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 12:11:53 -0000
"Paul Duncan" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>  
> I have a Windows Domain with a policy restricting which users can log on
> to which workstations.  I am using jCIFS 1.2.7 to authenticate with
> hosts on this domain.  I see that the jcifs.netbios.hostname property
> has to be set to the correct hostname before SmbSession.logon(String
> hostname, NtlmPasswordAuthentication authenticator) is called.  Are
> there any plans to modify jCIFS so that SmbSession.logon() works
> correctly on such a Windows Domain without having to set the
> aforementioned property?  Is the requirement to set this property
> regarded as a bug in jCIFS?  Thanks.

Just put it in your properties file or set it in main() and
forgettaboutit. Why exactly are you having a problem?

Mike
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: jcifs.netbios.hostname and authentication

Paul Duncan-2
In reply to this post by Paul Duncan-2
Mike,

> > Hello,
> >  
> > I have a Windows Domain with a policy restricting which
> users can log
> > on to which workstations.  I am using jCIFS 1.2.7 to
> authenticate with
> > hosts on this domain.  I see that the
> jcifs.netbios.hostname property
> > has to be set to the correct hostname before
> SmbSession.logon(String
> > hostname, NtlmPasswordAuthentication authenticator) is called.  Are
> > there any plans to modify jCIFS so that SmbSession.logon() works
> > correctly on such a Windows Domain without having to set the
> > aforementioned property?  Is the requirement to set this property
> > regarded as a bug in jCIFS?  Thanks.
>
> Just put it in your properties file or set it in main() and
> forgettaboutit. Why exactly are you having a problem?
> Mike
I agree that setting the property before calling SmbSession.logon()
ensures that authentiction works.  The problem I am having is that I
have code which uses SmbSession.logon() to authenticate with multiple
hosts but does not set the jcifs.netbios.hostname property.  So the code
has a bug.  My questions are intended to guage whether I need to fix
this bug or if I can wait for a future release of jCIFS which would not
require the jcifs.netbios.hostname property to be set.  Are there any
plans for jCIFS to be modified so that SmbSession.logon() authenticates
in the situation which I have outlined above without having to set the
property?   SmbSession.logon accepts the hostname as a parameter and one
could argue that the method should encapsulate everything necessary to
authenticate with the specified host.  Do the jCIFS developers regard
the necessity to set the property as a defect?  I am asking for
information only.  Thanks for your help.

Paul Duncan


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message (including any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged.
If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by return e-mail
and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised use or dissemination
of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited. Please note that
e-mails are susceptible to change. Yolus Limited shall not be responsible for
the improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in this
communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your system.

Yolus Limited does not guarantee that the integrity of this communication has
been maintained nor that this communication is free of viruses, interceptions
or interference.            

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: jcifs.netbios.hostname and authentication

Richard Caper
Where would you suggest that it get this information from?  The domain
controller has a "whitelist" of Netbios names from which the user can
log in; setting the jcifs.netbios.hostname property tells jCIFS what
Netbios name it should present to the server.  If the specified name
is on the list, then authentication works.

The Netbios name has to come from somewhere (if you don't specify one
via the property, jCIFS picks a random value).

If you are saying that you need to login to multiple servers, and
present a *different* hostname to each, then that is a more convoluted
issue (and I don't think possible in the current code).

On 3/16/06, Paul Duncan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have a Windows Domain with a policy restricting which
> > users can log
> > > on to which workstations.  I am using jCIFS 1.2.7 to
> > authenticate with
> > > hosts on this domain.  I see that the
> > jcifs.netbios.hostname property
> > > has to be set to the correct hostname before
> > SmbSession.logon(String
> > > hostname, NtlmPasswordAuthentication authenticator) is called.  Are
> > > there any plans to modify jCIFS so that SmbSession.logon() works
> > > correctly on such a Windows Domain without having to set the
> > > aforementioned property?  Is the requirement to set this property
> > > regarded as a bug in jCIFS?  Thanks.
> >
> > Just put it in your properties file or set it in main() and
> > forgettaboutit. Why exactly are you having a problem?
> > Mike
> I agree that setting the property before calling SmbSession.logon()
> ensures that authentiction works.  The problem I am having is that I
> have code which uses SmbSession.logon() to authenticate with multiple
> hosts but does not set the jcifs.netbios.hostname property.  So the code
> has a bug.  My questions are intended to guage whether I need to fix
> this bug or if I can wait for a future release of jCIFS which would not
> require the jcifs.netbios.hostname property to be set.  Are there any
> plans for jCIFS to be modified so that SmbSession.logon() authenticates
> in the situation which I have outlined above without having to set the
> property?   SmbSession.logon accepts the hostname as a parameter and one
> could argue that the method should encapsulate everything necessary to
> authenticate with the specified host.  Do the jCIFS developers regard
> the necessity to set the property as a defect?  I am asking for
> information only.  Thanks for your help.
>
> Paul Duncan
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> This message (including any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged.
> If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by return e-mail
> and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised use or dissemination
> of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited. Please note that
> e-mails are susceptible to change. Yolus Limited shall not be responsible for
> the improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in this
> communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your system.
>
> Yolus Limited does not guarantee that the integrity of this communication has
> been maintained nor that this communication is free of viruses, interceptions
> or interference.
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: jcifs.netbios.hostname and authentication

Michael B Allen-4
In reply to this post by Paul Duncan-2
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:44:10 -0000
"Paul Duncan" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> > > Hello,
> > >  
> > > I have a Windows Domain with a policy restricting which
> > users can log
> > > on to which workstations.  I am using jCIFS 1.2.7 to
> > authenticate with
> > > hosts on this domain.  I see that the
> > jcifs.netbios.hostname property
> > > has to be set to the correct hostname before
> > SmbSession.logon(String
> > > hostname, NtlmPasswordAuthentication authenticator) is called.  Are
> > > there any plans to modify jCIFS so that SmbSession.logon() works
> > > correctly on such a Windows Domain without having to set the
> > > aforementioned property?  Is the requirement to set this property
> > > regarded as a bug in jCIFS?  Thanks.
> >
> > Just put it in your properties file or set it in main() and
> > forgettaboutit. Why exactly are you having a problem?
> > Mike
> I agree that setting the property before calling SmbSession.logon()
> ensures that authentiction works.  The problem I am having is that I
> have code which uses SmbSession.logon() to authenticate with multiple
> hosts but does not set the jcifs.netbios.hostname property.

The jcifs.netbios.hostname property is the hostname of the initiator
not the target. Read the property description on the Overview page of
the API documentation.

Mike
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: jcifs.netbios.hostname and authentication

Paul Duncan-2
In reply to this post by Paul Duncan-2
Mike,

> The jcifs.netbios.hostname property is the hostname of the
> initiator not the target. Read the property description on
> the Overview page of the API documentation.
Thanks for clarifying this.

Paul Duncan


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message (including any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged.
If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by return e-mail
and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised use or dissemination
of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited. Please note that
e-mails are susceptible to change. Yolus Limited shall not be responsible for
the improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in this
communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your system.

Yolus Limited does not guarantee that the integrity of this communication has
been maintained nor that this communication is free of viruses, interceptions
or interference.            

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------