idea

Michael Havens
I don't have the technical knowledge to bring this idea into the real world but:
What do you think about adding a tar/zip option? I like to rsync my /Documents directory and as i was doing so this morning my pen drive ran out of room. I only ever make minor changes to /Documents and sometimes I forget to backup what I've changed and then forget what I've changed and so rsync makes it simple (especially with --delete).
This is possibly beside the point: To get everything to fit on the pen drive I discovered deleting .Trash* freed up the space. My question is why does deleting a file move it to .Trash but not make the space available for reuse?

--
:-)~MIKE~(-:

Re: idea

Kevin Korb

Re: idea

Simon Hobson-2
Michael Havens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> why does deleting a file move it to .Trash but not make the space available for reuse?

Because, as already said, as far as the filesystem is concerned it's still a file taking up space.

Longer answer: I guess you are using a "desktop" interface, click the file, and tell the file manager to delete it. It doesn't delete it, it moves it to the Trash (english: wastebasket) from where you can recover it if you decide it was a mistake deleting it. You have to explicitly empty the wastebasket before the file actually disappears and the space becomes available again.

While this isn't really an rsync issue, I see two workarounds :

1) Discipline yourself to emptying the wastbasket from time to time - I've seen user with *massive* amounts of stuff in there as they've never emptied it for as long as they've owned the computer !

2) Use an "--exclude" clause to rsync to exclude files in the wastebasket, then these files won't get synced to your flash drive.