fixing smbtorture base.createx_sharemodes_file test

fixing smbtorture base.createx_sharemodes_file test

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
This test and base.createx_sharemodes_dir do not really test handling of
sharemode
conflicts because we close the first file handle before we attempt to
open the file again.
The problem with the fix is that it now makes the
base.createx_sharemodes_file test
take a long time because of the 1 second delay before we return
SHARING_VIOLATION
on those cases that now conflict. We probably need to set the smb.conf
parameter
"defer sharing violations = no" when this test is run and then make sure
it is back to
normal for the base.defer_open test.

Is there is a way to do this in the automatic testing?

Re: fixing smbtorture base.createx_sharemodes_file test

On 07/11/2017 09:24 AM, Herb Lewis via samba-technical wrote:

> This test and base.createx_sharemodes_dir do not really test handling
> of sharemode
> conflicts because we close the first file handle before we attempt to
> open the file again.
> The problem with the fix is that it now makes the
> base.createx_sharemodes_file test
> take a long time because of the 1 second delay before we return
> SHARING_VIOLATION
> on those cases that now conflict. We probably need to set the smb.conf
> parameter
> "defer sharing violations = no" when this test is run and then make
> sure it is back to
> normal for the base.defer_open test.
>
> Is there is a way to do this in the automatic testing?
Just as an FYI, running this test against Samba 4.6.2 with the default
smb.conf setting
took about 43 minutes. With "defer sharing violations = no" it took
about 1 minute.

Re: fixing smbtorture base.createx_sharemodes_file test

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 9:24 AM, Herb Lewis via samba-technical
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This test and base.createx_sharemodes_dir do not really test handling of
> sharemode
> conflicts because we close the first file handle before we attempt to open
> the file again.
> The problem with the fix is that it now makes the
> base.createx_sharemodes_file test
> take a long time because of the 1 second delay before we return
> SHARING_VIOLATION
> on those cases that now conflict. We probably need to set the smb.conf
> parameter
> "defer sharing violations = no" when this test is run and then make sure it
> is back to
> normal for the base.defer_open test.
>
> Is there is a way to do this in the automatic testing?

ENOPATCH?

Richard Sharpe
(何以解憂?唯有杜康。--曹操)

Re: fixing smbtorture base.createx_sharemodes_file test

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
I was waiting to submit the patch until I could see if there was a way to
shorten the test time automatically. :-)

I'm not sure what tests get run on submits and I wouldn't want to slow
down the process by over 40 minutes if this is one of them.

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 10:11:33AM -0700, Herb Lewis via samba-technical wrote:

> On 07/11/2017 09:24 AM, Herb Lewis via samba-technical wrote:
> >This test and base.createx_sharemodes_dir do not really test
> >handling of sharemode
> >conflicts because we close the first file handle before we attempt
> >to open the file again.
> >The problem with the fix is that it now makes the
> >base.createx_sharemodes_file test
> >take a long time because of the 1 second delay before we return
> >SHARING_VIOLATION
> >on those cases that now conflict. We probably need to set the
> >smb.conf parameter
> >"defer sharing violations = no" when this test is run and then
> >make sure it is back to
> >normal for the base.defer_open test.
> >
> >Is there is a way to do this in the automatic testing?
> Just as an FYI, running this test against Samba 4.6.2 with the
> default smb.conf setting
> took about 43 minutes. With "defer sharing violations = no" it took
> about 1 minute.

Might be worth running it against a new share that has
that setting.

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 10:44:19AM -0700, Herb Lewis via samba-technical wrote:

> I was waiting to submit the patch until I could see if there was a way to
> shorten the test time automatically. :-)
>
> I'm not sure what tests get run on submits and I wouldn't want to slow
> down the process by over 40 minutes if this is one of them.
>
> On 07/11/2017 10:38 AM, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> >On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 9:24 AM, Herb Lewis via samba-technical
> ><[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>This test and base.createx_sharemodes_dir do not really test handling of
> >>sharemode
> >>conflicts because we close the first file handle before we attempt to open
> >>the file again.
> >>The problem with the fix is that it now makes the
> >>base.createx_sharemodes_file test
> >>take a long time because of the 1 second delay before we return
> >>SHARING_VIOLATION
> >>on those cases that now conflict. We probably need to set the smb.conf
> >>parameter
> >>"defer sharing violations = no" when this test is run and then make sure it
> >>is back to
> >>normal for the base.defer_open test.
> >>
> >>Is there is a way to do this in the automatic testing?

Yes. Run against a new share set up that way. Post the patch
and I'll take a look !