extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

12

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list
On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 15:21:52 +0200
Emmanuel Florac via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le Thu, 17 Aug 2017 14:37:58 +0200
> "L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <[hidden email]> écrivait:
>
> > If you have 3 (exact) the same machines, and all are same hardware.
> > Then or one has failing hardware, or something got corrupted.
> >
> > So any info can help more.
> >

> These are 3 systems installed at 3 different locations in different,
> but built from the same parts and running the same Debian OS (8.x).
> Each one is on a different network, etc. But similar machines have
> similar performance, up to this time :/
>
> However I've installed several hundred storage servers and that's the
> first time I've seen this. I've never ever had this problem of low
> performance on 10GigE, and even less of this low performance in CIFS
> only, whatever is the samba version. Even back in 3.x days.

I think what Louis is trying to point out is:

If you build three PCs from the same parts, install the same OS and
then install Samba (setting it up exactly the same on all three) and
then connect it to the same type of network, you should get the same
result when transferring files etc.

If you get a different result on one PC to the other two, then you need
to look at the different PC. Check that the same packages are installed
on all three PCs and configured in exactly the same way. If they are
all the same, check the network, including cables, switches routers etc.
If after doing all this, you still have the problem, then you need to
look very carefully at the PC itself.

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Le Thu, 17 Aug 2017 09:00:22 +0100
Rowland Penny via samba <[hidden email]> écrivait:

> It doesn't have any default settings or any settings that might slow
> things down (I also do not understand the reason behind having
> smb.conf in three sections.)

Finally by using Rowland's configuration, performance went up to normal
numbers. We went as far as replacing the entire server first, in vain...

It would be interesting to know which parameters absolutely kill
performance this way!

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list
Hai,

Thank you for reporting this back. Very welkom and good to heard you fixed it.

> It would be interesting to know which parameters absolutely
> kill performance this way!

Yes, that would be great to know which parameters killed the performance.
Do you have exports of the old config and the current config?
You could diff them and then maybe a dev can tell us, since i've see this question more now.
A diff is at least some extra info.

Greetz,

Louis

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 15:51:42 +0200
"L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hai,
>
> Thank you for reporting this back. Very welkom and good to heard you
> fixed it.
>
> > It would be interesting to know which parameters absolutely
> > kill performance this way!
>
> Yes, that would be great to know which parameters killed the
> performance. Do you have exports of the old config and the current
> config? You could diff them and then maybe a dev can tell us, since
> i've see this question more now. A diff is at least some extra info.

My moneys on these two lines:

     winbind enum users  = yes
     winbind enum groups = yes

The others are either defaults (so they are still there, just not
showing), lines the OP added to try and fix the problem or
lines that shouldn't slow anything down.

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list
Le Mon, 28 Aug 2017 15:12:27 +0100
Rowland Penny via samba <[hidden email]> écrivait:

> On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 15:51:42 +0200
> "L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hai,
> >
> > Thank you for reporting this back. Very welkom and good to heard you
> > fixed it.
> >
> > > It would be interesting to know which parameters absolutely
> > > kill performance this way!
> >
> > Yes, that would be great to know which parameters killed the
> > performance. Do you have exports of the old config and the current
> > config? You could diff them and then maybe a dev can tell us, since
> > i've see this question more now. A diff is at least some extra
> > info.
>
> My moneys on these two lines:
>
>      winbind enum users  = yes
>      winbind enum groups = yes
>
> The others are either defaults (so they are still there, just not
> showing), lines the OP added to try and fix the problem or
> lines that shouldn't slow anything down.

I think I tried without these lines, but not sure. If possible at some
point I'll try adding back lines one by one until it slows down...

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Yes, its an option, i was in the believe he did already set that.  :-/

> My moneys on these two lines:
>
>      winbind enum users  = yes
>      winbind enum groups = yes
>
> The others are either defaults (so they are still there, just
> not showing), lines the OP added to try and fix the problem
> or lines that shouldn't slow anything down.
But compaired to his starting smb.conf that was not a "default" settings.

What i think is also very interesting and is related to.
Number of users / winbind enum users
Number of groups / winbind enum groups
Number of computers / ?
How many groups are in groups and whats the max depth of the nested groups. / winbind expand groups =

Win Clients, XP/Vista/Win7/8/8.1/10 ?
Linux/Unix clients ?

Very valueble info for the devs i think.

Greetz,

Louis

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 16:23:34 +0200
Emmanuel Florac <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le Mon, 28 Aug 2017 15:12:27 +0100
> Rowland Penny via samba <[hidden email]> écrivait:
>
> > On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 15:51:42 +0200
> > "L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hai,
> > >
> > > Thank you for reporting this back. Very welkom and good to heard
> > > you fixed it.

> > > Yes, that would be great to know which parameters killed the
> > > performance. Do you have exports of the old config and the current
> > > config? You could diff them and then maybe a dev can tell us,
> > > since i've see this question more now. A diff is at least some
> > > extra info.
> >
> > My moneys on these two lines:
> >
> >      winbind enum users  = yes
> >      winbind enum groups = yes
> >
> > The others are either defaults (so they are still there, just not
> > showing), lines the OP added to try and fix the problem or
> > lines that shouldn't slow anything down.
> >

> I think I tried without these lines, but not sure. If possible at some
> point I'll try adding back lines one by one until it slows down...

These are your non-default lines:

     winbind sealed pipes = false
     require strong key = false
     winbind sealed pipes:TEST = true
     require strong key:TEST = true

     winbind enum users  = yes
     winbind enum groups = yes

     restrict anonymous = 2
     server signing = mandatory
     ntlm auth = yes

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

> These are your non-default lines:
>
>       server signing = mandatory

and i bet that one has the major performance impact
__________________________

quote from microsoft:

Using SMB packet signing can degrade performance up to 15 percent on
file service transactions.

Depending on your network and your storage system implementation, the
performance impact might be quite different. You may have to test in you
own environment to get an accurate statistics.

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Le Mon, 28 Aug 2017 15:12:27 +0100
Rowland Penny via samba <[hidden email]> écrivait:

> My moneys on these two lines:
>
>      winbind enum users  = yes
>      winbind enum groups = yes

OK, I've got the last version of the bad configuration, and these lines
were commented off, so that's not it.

Maybe Harald is right... I'll check that later.

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Le Mon, 28 Aug 2017 16:45:16 +0200
Reindl Harald via samba <[hidden email]> écrivait:

> Am 28.08.2017 um 16:29 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
> > These are your non-default lines:
> >
> >       server signing = mandatory
>
> and i bet that one has the major performance impact
> __________________________
>
> quote from microsoft:
>
> Using SMB packet signing can degrade performance up to 15 percent on
> file service transactions.
>
> Depending on your network and your storage system implementation, the
> performance impact might be quite different. You may have to test in
> you own environment to get an accurate statistics.

Interesting. It's quite possible for the Samba implementation to be much
slower than Microsoft's. However of course if this turns on encryption
it can understandably hamper performance dramatically on fast networks.

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 01:47:27PM +0200, Emmanuel Florac via samba wrote:

> Le Mon, 28 Aug 2017 16:45:16 +0200
> Reindl Harald via samba <[hidden email]> écrivait:
>
> > Am 28.08.2017 um 16:29 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
> > > These are your non-default lines:
> > >
> > >       server signing = mandatory
> >
> > and i bet that one has the major performance impact
> > __________________________
> >
> > quote from microsoft:
> >
> > Using SMB packet signing can degrade performance up to 15 percent on
> > file service transactions.
> >
> > Depending on your network and your storage system implementation, the
> > performance impact might be quite different. You may have to test in
> > you own environment to get an accurate statistics.
> >

> Interesting. It's quite possible for the Samba implementation to be much
> slower than Microsoft's. However of course if this turns on encryption
> it can understandably hamper performance dramatically on fast networks.

The Microsoft implementation certainly will use the Intel AES-specific
instruction set, which Samba doesn't out of the box. There is a NetGear
patch that fixes this for Samba by copying the libraries from the Linux
kernel implementation, but this hasn't been merged yet.

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list
Le Tue, 29 Aug 2017 08:59:58 -0700
Jeremy Allison <[hidden email]> écrivait:

> > Interesting. It's quite possible for the Samba implementation to be
> > much slower than Microsoft's. However of course if this turns on
> > encryption it can understandably hamper performance dramatically on
> > fast networks.
>
> The Microsoft implementation certainly will use the Intel AES-specific
> instruction set, which Samba doesn't out of the box. There is a
> NetGear patch that fixes this for Samba by copying the libraries from
> the Linux kernel implementation, but this hasn't been merged yet.
Therefore that would explain well why each process couldn't process
more than 100 MB/s...

12