extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list

Hi everyone,

here's my problem: I have a fast server (dual Xeon E5-2620, 64 GB RAM)
with a fast RAID array (24 disks, RAID-6, more than 2GB/s read/write
local performance, XFS filesystem) and fast network : dual 10GigE
(myri10g) and 40GigE (i40e).

It's running Debian 8.11, tried various kernel versions (currently
4.4.x, but 4.9 isn't any better).

It's slow as dead snails in molted mollasses using samba. Everything
else is fine:

 * from a windows PC with a 10GigE card, using ftp.exe and vsftpd, I
   transfer files at 500/600 MB/s easily.
 * using Chrome and downloading files through HTTP, I've got 250 MB/s.
 
 * using Samba, it reaches 105/110 MB/s, tops. Awful.

The Windows client and the Linux server are both connected to the same
10GigE/40GigE switch. Transferring from a windows machine to another
works fine (700 MB/s and more). Therefore the windows machines are NOT
at fault.

Looking at what's happening on the server, I noticed that smbd uses
gobs of CPU. Actually it uses about 1% of CPU (from 'top') for each
MB/s. Therefore it reaches ~100MB/s, and the CPU core it's running on is
maxed out! It's definitely NOT normal; on a very similar setup (same
motherboard, same CPU, same amount of RAM, same RAID controller,
same OS, etc) when an smbd process is writing at 500/600 MB/s the smbd
CPU consumption maxes out at 47%!

I don't know what's wrong and why smbd is burning CPU cycles like this.

Here is a quick comparison I've done. Here is the "bad" machine:

root@storiq-111:~# pidstat -p 11694 2 20
Linux 4.4.78-storiq64-opteron (storiq-111)   10/08/2017      _x86_64_        (32 CPU)

16:30:12      UID       PID    %usr %system  %guest    %CPU   CPU  Command
16:30:14        0     11694    0,00    0,00    0,00    0,00     8  smbd
16:30:16    10500     11694   48,00    8,00    0,00   56,00     8  smbd
16:30:18    10500     11694   54,00   13,00    0,00   67,00     8  smbd
16:30:20    10500     11694   54,00   12,00    0,00   66,00     8  smbd
16:30:22    10500     11694   61,50   11,50    0,00   73,00     8  smbd
16:30:24    10500     11694   61,50   10,00    0,00   71,50     8  smbd
16:30:26    10500     11694   64,00   10,00    0,00   74,00     8  smbd
16:30:28    10500     11694   63,50   10,00    0,00   73,50     8  smbd
16:30:30    10500     11694   67,50   11,50    0,00   79,00     8  smbd

root@storiq-111:~# numastat -p 11694
Per-node process memory usage (in MBs) for PID 11694 (smbd)
                           Node 0          Node 1           Total
                  --------------- --------------- ---------------
Huge                         0.00            0.00            0.00
Heap                         0.28            0.28            0.56
Stack                        0.02            0.02            0.04
Private                     11.51           14.45           25.96
----------------  --------------- --------------- ---------------
Total                       11.80           14.76           26.56

Notice that it burns tons of CPU in "user". By contrast, here's on
another (different and much slower) machine:

root@storiq-313:~# pidstat -p 19654 2 20
Linux 4.4.79-storiq64-opteron (storiq-313)      10/08/2017      _x86_64_        (16 CPU)

18:29:30      UID       PID    %usr %system  %guest    %CPU   CPU  Command
18:29:32     1000     19654    5,50   75,50    0,00   81,00     2  smbd
18:29:34     1000     19654    6,50   82,50    0,00   89,00     0  smbd
18:29:36     1000     19654    6,50   89,00    0,00   95,50     0  smbd
18:29:38     1000     19654    5,50   92,00    0,00   97,50     4  smbd
18:29:40     1000     19654    6,50   90,50    0,00   97,00    10  smbd
18:29:42     1000     19654    6,00   94,00    0,00  100,00     0  smbd
18:29:44     1000     19654    7,00   90,50    0,00   97,50     0  smbd
18:29:46     1000     19654    7,50   87,00    0,00   94,50     0  smbd
18:29:48     1000     19654    6,00   92,00    0,00   98,00     0  smbd
18:29:50     1000     19654    7,00   91,00    0,00   98,00     0  smbd
18:29:52     1000     19654    6,00   89,00    0,00   95,00     0  smbd


Per-node process memory usage (in MBs) for PID 19654 (smbd)
                           Node 0          Node 2           Total
                  --------------- --------------- ---------------
Huge                         0.00            0.00            0.00
Heap                         0.14            0.00            0.64
Stack                        0.02            0.00            0.04
Private                      4.61            0.00            8.57
----------------  --------------- --------------- ---------------
Total                        4.78            0.00            9.25

The theoretically slower machine is actually 5x faster! That's not
amusing... Also for some reason it uses much more memory, on both
nodes, on the "bad" machine (but there are many more clients).

I tried running strace on the working smbd process, but I don't see
anything remarkable in its output. No hardware errors in mcelog either.
I'm out of ideas... What's going on?

smb.conf in case anyone spots something fishy (it's actually split in
3):

/etc/samba/smb.conf:

   netbios name = storiq-111
   server string = %h server (Samba, Debian)
   include = /etc/samba/smb-common.ad.conf
   include = /etc/samba/smb-shares.conf

/etc/samba/smb-common.ad.conf:

    security = ADS
    workgroup = TEST
    realm = AD.TEST.COM


    winbind sealed pipes = false
    require strong key = false
    winbind sealed pipes:TEST = true
    require strong key:TEST = true
    winbind refresh tickets = yes
    winbind trusted domains only = no
    winbind use default domain = yes
    winbind enum users  = yes
    winbind enum groups = yes
    winbind cache time = 7200
    winbind offline logon = yes


    idmap config *:backend = tdb
    idmap config *:range = 2000-9999
    idmap config TEST:backend = rid
    idmap config TEST:range = 10000-50000000

    winbind nss info = template
    template shell = /bin/bash
    template homedir = /mnt/raid/%u

    client use spnego = yes
    client ntlmv2 auth = yes
    encrypt passwords = yes
    restrict anonymous = 2
    server signing = mandatory
    ntlm auth = yes

    log level = 0
    log file = /var/log/samba/smbd.log
    max log size = 50

    vfs objects = acl_xattr
    map acl inherit = yes
    store dos attributes = yes

/etc/samba/smb-shares.conf:

[test_tr]
   comment = Utilisateurs de test_tr
   valid users = @prod
   force group = prod
   force create mode = 775
   read only = no
   path = /mnt/raid/test_tr
   guest ok = no
;  vfs objects = acl_xattr streams_xattr



--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emmanuel Florac     |   Direction technique
                    |   Intellique
                    | <[hidden email]>
                    |   +33 1 78 94 84 02
------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba

attachment0 (188 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list
On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 19:21:53 +0200
Emmanuel Florac via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hi everyone,
>
> here's my problem: I have a fast server (dual Xeon E5-2620, 64 GB RAM)
> with a fast RAID array (24 disks, RAID-6, more than 2GB/s read/write
> local performance, XFS filesystem) and fast network : dual 10GigE
> (myri10g) and 40GigE (i40e).
>
> It's running Debian 8.11, tried various kernel versions (currently
> 4.4.x, but 4.9 isn't any better).
>
> It's slow as dead snails in molted mollasses using samba. Everything
> else is fine:
>
>  * from a windows PC with a 10GigE card, using ftp.exe and vsftpd, I
>    transfer files at 500/600 MB/s easily.
>  * using Chrome and downloading files through HTTP, I've got 250 MB/s.
>  
>  * using Samba, it reaches 105/110 MB/s, tops. Awful.
>
> The Windows client and the Linux server are both connected to the same
> 10GigE/40GigE switch. Transferring from a windows machine to another
> works fine (700 MB/s and more). Therefore the windows machines are NOT
> at fault.
>
> Looking at what's happening on the server, I noticed that smbd uses
> gobs of CPU. Actually it uses about 1% of CPU (from 'top') for each
> MB/s. Therefore it reaches ~100MB/s, and the CPU core it's running on
> is maxed out! It's definitely NOT normal; on a very similar setup
> (same motherboard, same CPU, same amount of RAM, same RAID controller,
> same OS, etc) when an smbd process is writing at 500/600 MB/s the smbd
> CPU consumption maxes out at 47%!
>
> I don't know what's wrong and why smbd is burning CPU cycles like
> this.
>
> Here is a quick comparison I've done. Here is the "bad" machine:
>
> root@storiq-111:~# pidstat -p 11694 2 20
> Linux 4.4.78-storiq64-opteron (storiq-111)   10/08/2017
> _x86_64_        (32 CPU)
>
> 16:30:12      UID       PID    %usr %system  %guest    %CPU   CPU
> Command 16:30:14        0     11694    0,00    0,00    0,00
> 0,00     8  smbd 16:30:16    10500     11694   48,00    8,00
> 0,00   56,00     8  smbd 16:30:18    10500     11694   54,00
> 13,00    0,00   67,00     8  smbd 16:30:20    10500     11694
> 54,00   12,00    0,00   66,00     8  smbd 16:30:22    10500
> 11694   61,50   11,50    0,00   73,00     8  smbd 16:30:24
> 10500     11694   61,50   10,00    0,00   71,50     8  smbd
> 16:30:26    10500     11694   64,00   10,00    0,00   74,00     8
> smbd 16:30:28    10500     11694   63,50   10,00    0,00   73,50
> 8  smbd 16:30:30    10500     11694   67,50   11,50    0,00
> 79,00     8  smbd
>
> root@storiq-111:~# numastat -p 11694
> Per-node process memory usage (in MBs) for PID 11694 (smbd)
>                            Node 0          Node 1           Total
>                   --------------- --------------- ---------------
> Huge                         0.00            0.00            0.00
> Heap                         0.28            0.28            0.56
> Stack                        0.02            0.02            0.04
> Private                     11.51           14.45           25.96
> ----------------  --------------- --------------- ---------------
> Total                       11.80           14.76           26.56
>
> Notice that it burns tons of CPU in "user". By contrast, here's on
> another (different and much slower) machine:
>
> root@storiq-313:~# pidstat -p 19654 2 20
> Linux 4.4.79-storiq64-opteron (storiq-313)      10/08/2017
> _x86_64_        (16 CPU)
>
> 18:29:30      UID       PID    %usr %system  %guest    %CPU   CPU
> Command 18:29:32     1000     19654    5,50   75,50    0,00
> 81,00     2  smbd 18:29:34     1000     19654    6,50   82,50
> 0,00   89,00     0  smbd 18:29:36     1000     19654    6,50
> 89,00    0,00   95,50     0  smbd 18:29:38     1000     19654
> 5,50   92,00    0,00   97,50     4  smbd 18:29:40     1000
> 19654    6,50   90,50    0,00   97,00    10  smbd 18:29:42
> 1000     19654    6,00   94,00    0,00  100,00     0  smbd
> 18:29:44     1000     19654    7,00   90,50    0,00   97,50     0
> smbd 18:29:46     1000     19654    7,50   87,00    0,00   94,50
> 0  smbd 18:29:48     1000     19654    6,00   92,00    0,00
> 98,00     0  smbd 18:29:50     1000     19654    7,00   91,00
> 0,00   98,00     0  smbd 18:29:52     1000     19654    6,00
> 89,00    0,00   95,00     0  smbd
>
>
> Per-node process memory usage (in MBs) for PID 19654 (smbd)
>                            Node 0          Node 2           Total
>                   --------------- --------------- ---------------
> Huge                         0.00            0.00            0.00
> Heap                         0.14            0.00            0.64
> Stack                        0.02            0.00            0.04
> Private                      4.61            0.00            8.57
> ----------------  --------------- --------------- ---------------
> Total                        4.78            0.00            9.25
>
> The theoretically slower machine is actually 5x faster! That's not
> amusing... Also for some reason it uses much more memory, on both
> nodes, on the "bad" machine (but there are many more clients).
>
> I tried running strace on the working smbd process, but I don't see
> anything remarkable in its output. No hardware errors in mcelog
> either. I'm out of ideas... What's going on?
>
> smb.conf in case anyone spots something fishy (it's actually split in
> 3):
>
> /etc/samba/smb.conf:
>
>    netbios name = storiq-111
>    server string = %h server (Samba, Debian)
>    include = /etc/samba/smb-common.ad.conf
>    include = /etc/samba/smb-shares.conf
>
> /etc/samba/smb-common.ad.conf:
>
>     security = ADS
>     workgroup = TEST
>     realm = AD.TEST.COM
>
>
>     winbind sealed pipes = false
>     require strong key = false
>     winbind sealed pipes:TEST = true
>     require strong key:TEST = true
>     winbind refresh tickets = yes
>     winbind trusted domains only = no
>     winbind use default domain = yes
>     winbind enum users  = yes
>     winbind enum groups = yes
>     winbind cache time = 7200
>     winbind offline logon = yes
>
>
>     idmap config *:backend = tdb
>     idmap config *:range = 2000-9999
>     idmap config TEST:backend = rid
>     idmap config TEST:range = 10000-50000000
>
>     winbind nss info = template
>     template shell = /bin/bash
>     template homedir = /mnt/raid/%u
>
>     client use spnego = yes
>     client ntlmv2 auth = yes
>     encrypt passwords = yes
>     restrict anonymous = 2
>     server signing = mandatory
>     ntlm auth = yes
>
>     log level = 0
>     log file = /var/log/samba/smbd.log
>     max log size = 50
>
>     vfs objects = acl_xattr
>     map acl inherit = yes
>     store dos attributes = yes
>
> /etc/samba/smb-shares.conf:
>
> [test_tr]
>    comment = Utilisateurs de test_tr
>    valid users = @prod
>    force group = prod
>    force create mode = 775
>    read only = no
>    path = /mnt/raid/test_tr
>    guest ok = no
> ;  vfs objects = acl_xattr streams_xattr
>
>
>

4.2.x is EOL as far as Samba is concerned, there have been a lot of
changes since 4.2.* came out.

Can I suggest you go here: http://apt.van-belle.nl/

You can get a much more recent version there, 4.6.7

Rowland

--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list
Le Thu, 10 Aug 2017 18:46:12 +0100
Rowland Penny via samba <[hidden email]> écrivait:

> 4.2.x is EOL as far as Samba is concerned, there have been a lot of
> changes since 4.2.* came out.
>
> Can I suggest you go here: http://apt.van-belle.nl/
>
> You can get a much more recent version there, 4.6.7

OK I'll try it, but that doesn't really explain why it's so slow, while
it's completely OK on other similar or slower  machines... Actually
it's the first time ever, with any Samba version (including 3.6.x) that
I have such a bad performance on a 10GigE equipped system. I even
usually got better performance with bonded Gb interfaces 8 or 9 years
ago...

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emmanuel Florac     |   Direction technique
                    |   Intellique
                    | <[hidden email]>
                    |   +33 1 78 94 84 02
------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba

attachment0 (188 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list
On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 20:39:45 +0200
Emmanuel Florac <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le Thu, 10 Aug 2017 18:46:12 +0100
> Rowland Penny via samba <[hidden email]> écrivait:
>
> > 4.2.x is EOL as far as Samba is concerned, there have been a lot of
> > changes since 4.2.* came out.
> >
> > Can I suggest you go here: http://apt.van-belle.nl/
> >
> > You can get a much more recent version there, 4.6.7
>
> OK I'll try it, but that doesn't really explain why it's so slow,
> while it's completely OK on other similar or slower  machines...
> Actually it's the first time ever, with any Samba version (including
> 3.6.x) that I have such a bad performance on a 10GigE equipped
> system. I even usually got better performance with bonded Gb
> interfaces 8 or 9 years ago...
>

As I said, there have been a lot of changes to Samba since 4.2.x, some
of these changes have been aimed at getting Samba to work faster and,
as far as I am aware, there are more in the upcoming 4.7.0.

Can I also suggest you remove these lines:

    winbind enum users  = yes
    winbind enum groups = yes

You do not need them and guess what, they slow Samba down.

Rowland

--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list
Am 2017-08-10 um 21:35 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:

> Can I also suggest you remove these lines:
>
>     winbind enum users  = yes
>     winbind enum groups = yes
>
> You do not need them and guess what, they slow Samba down.

I also have these lines on a DM server, I assume because I took them
with me over the years ... may I also remove them?



--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list
On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 09:26:54 +0200
"Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 2017-08-10 um 21:35 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
>
> > Can I also suggest you remove these lines:
> >
> >     winbind enum users  = yes
> >     winbind enum groups = yes
> >
> > You do not need them and guess what, they slow Samba down.
>
> I also have these lines on a DM server, I assume because I took them
> with me over the years ... may I also remove them?
>
>
>

I think you mean 'should' rather than 'may' ;-)

Without those two lines, Samba will still know who your users and
groups are, the only real obvious change is that 'getent passwd' will
only show local Unix users and 'getent group' will only show local Unix
groups. Using a username or group with getent will show the info for
the username or group.

Having those two line in smb.conf is NOT required, everything will work
without them.

Rowland

--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list
Am 2017-08-11 um 09:48 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:

> On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 09:26:54 +0200
> "Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Am 2017-08-10 um 21:35 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
>>
>>> Can I also suggest you remove these lines:
>>>
>>>     winbind enum users  = yes
>>>     winbind enum groups = yes
>>>
>>> You do not need them and guess what, they slow Samba down.
>>
>> I also have these lines on a DM server, I assume because I took them
>> with me over the years ... may I also remove them?
>>
>>
>>
>
> I think you mean 'should' rather than 'may' ;-)
>
> Without those two lines, Samba will still know who your users and
> groups are, the only real obvious change is that 'getent passwd' will
> only show local Unix users and 'getent group' will only show local Unix
> groups. Using a username or group with getent will show the info for
> the username or group.
>
> Having those two line in smb.conf is NOT required, everything will work
> without them.

great, I will remove them asap
thanks



--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Samba - General mailing list
Hai,

I got a personal notice of a user, which server was running 4.2.14 (debian jessie),
he only got 10-14Mb/s, after upgrading to my 4.6.6 package (now 4.6.7, he is now getting the full gigabit connection speed.

Now if you dont want to upgrade you can try set the nic speed in smb.conf.
( man smb.conf )
interface[;key1=value1[,key2=value2[...]]]

       Known keys are speed, capability, and if_index. Speed is specified in bits per second.

And i must say, this should not be needed, but its possible the speed is wrongly detected.
I was not able to determin why this was on his server, i had access to console for this one.
(its a college of me)


Greetz,

Louis


> -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
> Van: samba [mailto:[hidden email]] Namens
> Rowland Penny via samba
> Verzonden: donderdag 10 augustus 2017 21:35
> Aan: [hidden email]
> Onderwerp: Re: [Samba] extremely low performance on Samba
> 4.2.14-Debian
>
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 20:39:45 +0200
> Emmanuel Florac <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Le Thu, 10 Aug 2017 18:46:12 +0100
> > Rowland Penny via samba <[hidden email]> écrivait:
> >
> > > 4.2.x is EOL as far as Samba is concerned, there have
> been a lot of
> > > changes since 4.2.* came out.
> > >
> > > Can I suggest you go here: http://apt.van-belle.nl/
> > >
> > > You can get a much more recent version there, 4.6.7
> >
> > OK I'll try it, but that doesn't really explain why it's so slow,
> > while it's completely OK on other similar or slower  machines...
> > Actually it's the first time ever, with any Samba version (including
> > 3.6.x) that I have such a bad performance on a 10GigE
> equipped system.
> > I even usually got better performance with bonded Gb
> interfaces 8 or 9
> > years ago...
> >
>
> As I said, there have been a lot of changes to Samba since
> 4.2.x, some of these changes have been aimed at getting Samba
> to work faster and, as far as I am aware, there are more in
> the upcoming 4.7.0.
>
> Can I also suggest you remove these lines:
>
>     winbind enum users  = yes
>     winbind enum groups = yes
>
> You do not need them and guess what, they slow Samba down.
>
> Rowland
>
> --
> To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
> instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
>


--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list
Am 11.08.2017 um 10:16 schrieb L.P.H. van Belle via samba:

> Hai,
>
> I got a personal notice of a user, which server was running 4.2.14 (debian jessie),
> he only got 10-14Mb/s, after upgrading to my 4.6.6 package (now 4.6.7, he is now getting the full gigabit connection speed.
>
> Now if you dont want to upgrade you can try set the nic speed in smb.conf.
> ( man smb.conf )
> interface[;key1=value1[,key2=value2[...]]]
>
>        Known keys are speed, capability, and if_index. Speed is specified in bits per second.
>
> And i must say, this should not be needed, but its possible the speed is wrongly detected.
> I was not able to determin why this was on his server, i had access to console for this one.
> (its a college of me)
>
>
Hello,

Just for curiosity, what about version 4.5.8? This is the version
included in current Debian stable (stretch).

bye,
Andreas


--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list
On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 12:26:35 +0200
Andreas Heinlein via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 11.08.2017 um 10:16 schrieb L.P.H. van Belle via samba:
> > Hai,
> >
> > I got a personal notice of a user, which server was running 4.2.14
> > (debian jessie), he only got 10-14Mb/s, after upgrading to my 4.6.6
> > package (now 4.6.7, he is now getting the full gigabit connection
> > speed.
> >
> > Now if you dont want to upgrade you can try set the nic speed in
> > smb.conf. ( man smb.conf )
> > interface[;key1=value1[,key2=value2[...]]]
> >
> >        Known keys are speed, capability, and if_index. Speed is
> > specified in bits per second.
> >
> > And i must say, this should not be needed, but its possible the
> > speed is wrongly detected. I was not able to determin why this was
> > on his server, i had access to console for this one. (its a college
> > of me)
> >
> >
> Hello,
>
> Just for curiosity, what about version 4.5.8? This is the version
> included in current Debian stable (stretch).
>
> bye,
> Andreas
>
>

If you are going to upgrade, you might as well go for the highest
version you can, this will probably mean using Louis's packages.

Samba is a rapidly changing program, a new minor version is released
every 6 months (approx) and the changes are significant.

4.7.0 is due out at in September and there are going to be a lot of
improvements in it.

Rowland
 

--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Samba - General mailing list
Hai andres,

No, in this case it was the 4.2.14 (latest) from debian jessie.
Ive not checked 4.5.8 on stretch, i skipped that version.

Wat is suspect is, the following, based on experiance and things i noticed.
As far i know this involves Ubuntu 12.x 14.x and debian Wheezy/Jessie (dont know about ubuntu 16.x and 17.x )

if bind interfaces is set with : eth0 lo
Somethings samba fails to start, solution, set ipadres for eth0 ( this is why i always set the ipnumbers)

Now, add the slow network speed problem to this.

This smells to me its a wrong startup order, or samba started before all interfaces where up or able to detect nic speed.
But i did not put much effort in the correct solution, change to ip and it works always.

Debian Stretch, as fas i see now, due to much better boot order of systemd.
So on Stretch, this problem is (probely) not happening, i did not test it. (yet)

Greetz,

Louis
 

> -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
> Van: samba [mailto:[hidden email]] Namens
> Andreas Heinlein via samba
> Verzonden: vrijdag 11 augustus 2017 12:27
> Aan: [hidden email]
> Onderwerp: Re: [Samba] extremely low performance on Samba
> 4.2.14-Debian
>
> Am 11.08.2017 um 10:16 schrieb L.P.H. van Belle via samba:
> > Hai,
> >
> > I got a personal notice of a user, which server was running 4.2.14
> > (debian jessie), he only got 10-14Mb/s, after upgrading to
> my 4.6.6 package (now 4.6.7, he is now getting the full
> gigabit connection speed.
> >
> > Now if you dont want to upgrade you can try set the nic
> speed in smb.conf.
> > ( man smb.conf )
> > interface[;key1=value1[,key2=value2[...]]]
> >
> >        Known keys are speed, capability, and if_index.
> Speed is specified in bits per second.
> >
> > And i must say, this should not be needed, but its possible
> the speed is wrongly detected.
> > I was not able to determin why this was on his server, i
> had access to console for this one.
> > (its a college of me)
> >
> >
> Hello,
>
> Just for curiosity, what about version 4.5.8? This is the
> version included in current Debian stable (stretch).
>
> bye,
> Andreas
>
>
> --
> To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
> instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
>


--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Samba - General mailing list
Le Fri, 11 Aug 2017 10:16:32 +0200
"L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <[hidden email]> écrivait:

> Hai,
>
> I got a personal notice of a user, which server was running 4.2.14
> (debian jessie), he only got 10-14Mb/s, after upgrading to my 4.6.6
> package (now 4.6.7, he is now getting the full gigabit connection
> speed.
>
> Now if you dont want to upgrade you can try set the nic speed in
> smb.conf. ( man smb.conf )
> interface[;key1=value1[,key2=value2[...]]]
>
>        Known keys are speed, capability, and if_index. Speed is
> specified in bits per second.
>
> And i must say, this should not be needed, but its possible the speed
> is wrongly detected. I was not able to determin why this was on his
> server, i had access to console for this one. (its a college of me)
>
Well there used to be an "interface" line but I removed it as
unnecessary; we didn't want to restrict Samba to any particular
interface anyway. However it's possible that the 40GigE interface is
the culprit; and it's the only special thing that the machine carries...

However the weird, weird thing is the CPU consumption. I've never seen
smbd capped by CPU power but on very old or very small machines....

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emmanuel Florac     |   Direction technique
                    |   Intellique
                    | <[hidden email]>
                    |   +33 1 78 94 84 02
------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba

attachment0 (188 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Samba - General mailing list
Le Fri, 11 Aug 2017 11:55:03 +0100
Rowland Penny via samba <[hidden email]> écrivait:

> If you are going to upgrade, you might as well go for the highest
> version you can, this will probably mean using Louis's packages.
>
> Samba is a rapidly changing program, a new minor version is released
> every 6 months (approx) and the changes are significant.
>
> 4.7.0 is due out at in September and there are going to be a lot of
> improvements in it.

I've upgraded to 4.5.12 : absolutely no difference. smbd consumes 100%
of CPU when writing or reading a paltry 100 MB/s. I'll try 4.6.x but
I'm desperate. I'll probably need to replace the server altogether (and
it's a PITA because it's 600 km away).

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emmanuel Florac     |   Direction technique
                    |   Intellique
                    | <[hidden email]>
                    |   +33 1 78 94 84 02
------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba

attachment0 (188 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list
Le Wed, 16 Aug 2017 21:55:05 +0200
Emmanuel Florac via samba <[hidden email]> écrivait:

> >
> > Samba is a rapidly changing program, a new minor version is released
> > every 6 months (approx) and the changes are significant.
> >
> > 4.7.0 is due out at in September and there are going to be a lot of
> > improvements in it.  
>
> I've upgraded to 4.5.12 : absolutely no difference. smbd consumes 100%
> of CPU when writing or reading a paltry 100 MB/s. I'll try 4.6.x but
> I'm desperate. I'll probably need to replace the server altogether
> (and it's a PITA because it's 600 km away).
And here we go: 4.6.7 isn't any better. Unfortunately I'm out of ideas
and out of resources, I'll switch servers for  an old, faithful,
obsolete Opteron-based one.

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emmanuel Florac     |   Direction technique
                    |   Intellique
                    | <[hidden email]>
                    |   +33 1 78 94 84 02
------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba

attachment0 (188 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list
Hai Emmanuel,

But ive re-read the complete thread.
Its strange that the old machine is so much faster.
In thinging a bit, and it can go two ways..
I'm trowing in things i get in my head based on experiance aka wild guesses, but review it i suggest.

Samba bug/problem in settings combinations ( or wait for multi threaded samba 4.7. and test that)

Hardware/linux (driver/setting) combination, i'll come to that later on..

For samba.
Can try with the following to see if one of these is slowing things down.
In thinking in (kernel higher = better cifs (smb protocol support), and maybe improvements in xfs support (i haven't checked that).
And check with modinfo the nic driver.
I want to know if it possible to see the (by samba) detected interface speed. ( and mtu/tcp size rwin ).

Smb.conf suggestions, and test order.
Change:
server signing = auto
Test,
Then again add:
ntlm auth = no
Test,
And im questioning these 2.
In global you set.
restrict anonymous 2

In the share.
guest ok = no

The google translater makes crap off:  This parameter nullifies the benefits of setting restrict anonymous = 2  :-/
Are these to settings conflicting or not.. In not sure here.

From man smb.conf
      guest ok (S)

           If this parameter is yes for a service, then no password is required to connect to the service. Privileges will be those of the guest account.
           This parameter nullifies the benefits of setting restrict anonymous = 2
           See the section below on security for more information about this option.
           Default: guest ok = no


About the hardware/linux.

Did you install/setup the hardware, (not judging your knowlidge, my thoughts)
When you installed it, did you check the pci-e bus and the irq relations in the bios.
It is possible, the 40G nic is shareing the bus with the raid 6 contoller.
That can slow down things.
Bios raid/hdds/mainboard up to date, so changelog review cant harm.
Is the nic using firmware?
The output of :

> -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
> Van: samba [mailto:[hidden email]] Namens
> Emmanuel Florac via samba
> Verzonden: woensdag 16 augustus 2017 22:00
> Aan: Emmanuel Florac via samba
> Onderwerp: Re: [Samba] extremely low performance on Samba
> 4.2.14-Debian
>
> Le Wed, 16 Aug 2017 21:55:05 +0200
> Emmanuel Florac via samba <[hidden email]> écrivait:
>
> > >
> > > Samba is a rapidly changing program, a new minor version
> is released
> > > every 6 months (approx) and the changes are significant.
> > >
> > > 4.7.0 is due out at in September and there are going to
> be a lot of
> > > improvements in it.
> >
> > I've upgraded to 4.5.12 : absolutely no difference. smbd
> consumes 100%
> > of CPU when writing or reading a paltry 100 MB/s. I'll try
> 4.6.x but
> > I'm desperate. I'll probably need to replace the server altogether
> > (and it's a PITA because it's 600 km away).
>
> And here we go: 4.6.7 isn't any better. Unfortunately I'm out
> of ideas and out of resources, I'll switch servers for  an
> old, faithful, obsolete Opteron-based one.
>
> --
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> ----------
> Emmanuel Florac     |   Direction technique
>                     |   Intellique
>                     | <[hidden email]>
>                     |   +33 1 78 94 84 02
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> ----------
> --
> To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
> instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
>


--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Samba - General mailing list
I HATE these auto send keys.. Did i tell that already..  
( see below )

> -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
> Van: L.P.H. van Belle [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Verzonden: woensdag 16 augustus 2017 23:22
> Aan: '[hidden email]'
> Onderwerp: RE: [Samba] extremely low performance on Samba
> 4.2.14-Debian
>
> Hai Emmanuel,
>
> But ive re-read the complete thread.
> Its strange that the old machine is so much faster.
> In thinging a bit, and it can go two ways..
> I'm trowing in things i get in my head based on experiance
> aka wild guesses, but review it i suggest.
>
> Samba bug/problem in settings combinations ( or wait for
> multi threaded samba 4.7. and test that)
>
> Hardware/linux (driver/setting) combination, i'll come to
> that later on..
>
> For samba.
> Can try with the following to see if one of these is slowing
> things down.
> In thinking in (kernel higher = better cifs (smb protocol
> support), and maybe improvements in xfs support (i haven't
> checked that).
> And check with modinfo the nic driver.
> I want to know if it possible to see the (by samba) detected
> interface speed. ( and mtu/tcp size rwin ).
>
> Smb.conf suggestions, and test order.
> Change:
> server signing = auto
> Test,
> Then again add:
> ntlm auth = no
> Test,
> And im questioning these 2.
> In global you set.
> restrict anonymous 2
>
> In the share.
> guest ok = no
>
> The google translater makes crap off:  This parameter
> nullifies the benefits of setting restrict anonymous = 2  :-/
> Are these to settings conflicting or not.. In not sure here.
>
> From man smb.conf
>       guest ok (S)
>
>            If this parameter is yes for a service, then no
> password is required to connect to the service. Privileges
> will be those of the guest account.
>            This parameter nullifies the benefits of setting
> restrict anonymous = 2
>            See the section below on security for more
> information about this option.
>            Default: guest ok = no
>
>
> About the hardware/linux.
>
> Did you install/setup the hardware, (not judging your
> knowlidge, my thoughts) When you installed it, did you check
> the pci-e bus and the irq relations in the bios.
> It is possible, the 40G nic is shareing the bus with the raid
> 6 contoller.
> That can slow down things.
> Bios raid/hdds/mainboard up to date, so changelog review cant harm.
> Is the nic using firmware?
> The output of :
ethtool -i

So few thing, i can think of i would check.
Its a pain, special when its far, the samba options are thing you might be able to remotely check.
Maybe it helps a bit.

Greetz,

Louis





--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list
On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 23:28:08 +0200
"L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I HATE these auto send keys.. Did i tell that already..  
> ( see below )
> > -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
> > Van: L.P.H. van Belle [mailto:[hidden email]]
> > Verzonden: woensdag 16 augustus 2017 23:22
> > Aan: '[hidden email]'
> > Onderwerp: RE: [Samba] extremely low performance on Samba
> > 4.2.14-Debian
> >
> > Hai Emmanuel,
> >
> > But ive re-read the complete thread.
> > Its strange that the old machine is so much faster.
> > In thinging a bit, and it can go two ways..
> > I'm trowing in things i get in my head based on experiance
> > aka wild guesses, but review it i suggest.
> >
> > Samba bug/problem in settings combinations ( or wait for
> > multi threaded samba 4.7. and test that)
> >
> > Hardware/linux (driver/setting) combination, i'll come to
> > that later on..
> >
> > For samba.
> > Can try with the following to see if one of these is slowing
> > things down.
> > In thinking in (kernel higher = better cifs (smb protocol
> > support), and maybe improvements in xfs support (i haven't
> > checked that).
> > And check with modinfo the nic driver.
> > I want to know if it possible to see the (by samba) detected
> > interface speed. ( and mtu/tcp size rwin ).
> >
> > Smb.conf suggestions, and test order.
> > Change:
> > server signing = auto
> > Test,
> > Then again add:
> > ntlm auth = no
> > Test,
> > And im questioning these 2.
> > In global you set.
> > restrict anonymous 2
> >
> > In the share.
> > guest ok = no
> >
> > The google translater makes crap off:  This parameter
> > nullifies the benefits of setting restrict anonymous = 2  :-/
> > Are these to settings conflicting or not.. In not sure here.
> >
> > From man smb.conf
> >       guest ok (S)
> >
> >            If this parameter is yes for a service, then no
> > password is required to connect to the service. Privileges
> > will be those of the guest account.
> >            This parameter nullifies the benefits of setting
> > restrict anonymous = 2
> >            See the section below on security for more
> > information about this option.
> >            Default: guest ok = no
> >
> >
> > About the hardware/linux.
> >
> > Did you install/setup the hardware, (not judging your
> > knowlidge, my thoughts) When you installed it, did you check
> > the pci-e bus and the irq relations in the bios.
> > It is possible, the 40G nic is shareing the bus with the raid
> > 6 contoller.
> > That can slow down things.
> > Bios raid/hdds/mainboard up to date, so changelog review cant harm.
> > Is the nic using firmware?
> > The output of :
> ethtool -i
>
> So few thing, i can think of i would check.
> Its a pain, special when its far, the samba options are thing you
> might be able to remotely check. Maybe it helps a bit.
>
> Greetz,
>
> Louis
>
>
>
>
>

I would suggest that the OP tries this smb.conf:

[global]
    netbios name = storiq-111
    server string = %h server (Samba, Debian)
    security = ADS
    workgroup = TEST
    realm = AD.TEST.COM

    winbind refresh tickets = yes
    winbind use default domain = yes
    winbind cache time = 7200
    winbind offline logon = yes

    idmap config *:backend = tdb
    idmap config *:range = 2000-9999
    idmap config TEST:backend = rid
    idmap config TEST:range = 10000-50000000

    template shell = /bin/bash
    template homedir = /mnt/raid/%u

    log file = /var/log/samba/smbd.log
    max log size = 50

    vfs objects = acl_xattr
    map acl inherit = yes
    store dos attributes = yes

[test_tr]
    # Set ACLs from Windows
    comment = Utilisateurs de test_tr
    path = /mnt/raid/test_tr
    read only = no

It doesn't have any default settings or any settings that might slow
things down (I also do not understand the reason behind having smb.conf
in three sections.)

Rowland

--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Samba - General mailing list
Le Wed, 16 Aug 2017 23:28:08 +0200
"L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <[hidden email]> écrivait:

> > Bios raid/hdds/mainboard up to date, so changelog review cant harm.
> > Is the nic using firmware?
> > The output of :  
> ethtool -i
>
> So few thing, i can think of i would check.
> Its a pain, special when its far, the samba options are thing you
> might be able to remotely check. Maybe it helps a bit.
>

I've checked everything round and round. Speed is normal with FTP, but
not with Samba (I have no other Linux machine on the network to test
NFS). iperf3 proves that the NICs perform normally. I've tested several
kernels, 2 different NICs (Silicom 40G and Myri 10G), same low
samba performance.

I've built 3 machines on the same configuration (same RAID controller,
Myri 10G nics, Xeon 6420, 64 GB RAM, same mobo, etc) and only this one
is so slow. But only with Samba, everything else performs normally.

It's really crazy.

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emmanuel Florac     |   Direction technique
                    |   Intellique
                    | <[hidden email]>
                    |   +33 1 78 94 84 02
------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba

attachment0 (188 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list
Hai,

Ok, so you have 3 the same machines and only one is slow. Thats important info.
Did anything special happen with this server.
For example 2 servers got a new install and this one had an upgrade (or sort of upgrade) from the "old" server?

Or you configured the new server in an other (ad site) and moved it to the new location.
In tring to figure out, where what happend, so we can review these steps and point of pitfalls.

Can you describe the steps you took when you
- installed a the "problem" new server.
- how you upgraded and/or installed new.
- was the server move from site to other site ( ! In the AD )
- did it have an ip number change when you moved it to the other site.
- did you make backups on the old and restored them on the new?
( if yes, what and where )

You steps, and preffered in order you did them. If you able to recall them all.  ;-)

If you have 3 (exact) the same machines, and all are same hardware.
Then or one has failing hardware, or something got corrupted.

So any info can help more.

Greetz,

Louis




> -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
> Van: Emmanuel Florac [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Verzonden: donderdag 17 augustus 2017 14:01
> Aan: L.P.H. van Belle via samba
> CC: L.P.H. van Belle
> Onderwerp: Re: [Samba] extremely low performance on Samba
> 4.2.14-Debian
>
> Le Wed, 16 Aug 2017 23:28:08 +0200
> "L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <[hidden email]> écrivait:
>
> > > Bios raid/hdds/mainboard up to date, so changelog review
> cant harm.
> > > Is the nic using firmware?
> > > The output of :  
> > ethtool -i
> >
> > So few thing, i can think of i would check.
> > Its a pain, special when its far, the samba options are thing you
> > might be able to remotely check. Maybe it helps a bit.
> >
>
> I've checked everything round and round. Speed is normal with
> FTP, but not with Samba (I have no other Linux machine on the
> network to test NFS). iperf3 proves that the NICs perform
> normally. I've tested several kernels, 2 different NICs
> (Silicom 40G and Myri 10G), same low samba performance.
>
> I've built 3 machines on the same configuration (same RAID
> controller, Myri 10G nics, Xeon 6420, 64 GB RAM, same mobo,
> etc) and only this one is so slow. But only with Samba,
> everything else performs normally.
>
> It's really crazy.
>
> --
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> ----------
> Emmanuel Florac     |   Direction technique
>                     |   Intellique
>                     | <[hidden email]>
>                     |   +33 1 78 94 84 02
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> ----------
>


--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Samba - General mailing list
Le Thu, 17 Aug 2017 14:37:58 +0200
"L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <[hidden email]> écrivait:

> If you have 3 (exact) the same machines, and all are same hardware.
> Then or one has failing hardware, or something got corrupted.
>
> So any info can help more.
>

These are 3 systems installed at 3 different locations in different,
but built from the same parts and running the same Debian OS (8.x).
Each one is on a different network, etc. But similar machines have
similar performance, up to this time :/

However I've installed several hundred storage servers and that's the
first time I've seen this. I've never ever had this problem of low
performance on 10GigE, and even less of this low performance in CIFS
only, whatever is the samba version. Even back in 3.x days.

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emmanuel Florac     |   Direction technique
                    |   Intellique
                    | <[hidden email]>
                    |   +33 1 78 94 84 02
------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba

attachment0 (188 bytes) Download Attachment
12
Loading...