exclude being ignored

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

exclude being ignored

Robert Holtzman
Running debian wheezy w/ rsync 3.0.9-4. The command in question is

rsync -vahHz --delete --exclude '/proc' --exclude '*.iso' --exclude
'/home/holtzm/mail/backup' --exclude '/sys ' --exclude '/tmp'--exclude
'/media' /. /media/cf0a98ed-3c11-4107-b61e-f5139d024396/Wheezy-laptop

notice the --exclude '/media' notation. This setup has been working for
me for several years without a problem. Suddenly --exclude '/media' is
being ignored and I find it backing up the backup, creating an endless
loop and a tremendous file before I catch it and stop the process.

Not being a coder, I'm at a loss as to how to begin attacking this
problem.

Any pointers appreciated.

--

Bob Holtzman
A fair fight is the result of poor planning.


--
Please use reply-all for most replies to avoid omitting the mailing list.
To unsubscribe or change options: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/rsync
Before posting, read: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exclude being ignored

Kevin Korb
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Note the lack of a space here: --exclude '/tmp'--exclude

Also, just use / for the source instead of /.

Also, don't use -z on a local copy.

On 11/18/2015 06:19 PM, Bob Holtzman wrote:

> Running debian wheezy w/ rsync 3.0.9-4. The command in question is
>
>
> rsync -vahHz --delete --exclude '/proc' --exclude '*.iso'
> --exclude '/home/holtzm/mail/backup' --exclude '/sys ' --exclude
> '/tmp'--exclude '/media' /.
> /media/cf0a98ed-3c11-4107-b61e-f5139d024396/Wheezy-laptop
>
> notice the --exclude '/media' notation. This setup has been working
> for me for several years without a problem. Suddenly --exclude
> '/media' is being ignored and I find it backing up the backup,
> creating an endless loop and a tremendous file before I catch it
> and stop the process.
>
> Not being a coder, I'm at a loss as to how to begin attacking this
> problem.
>
> Any pointers appreciated.
>

- --
~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,
        Kevin Korb Phone:    (407) 252-6853
        Systems Administrator Internet:
        FutureQuest, Inc. [hidden email]  (work)
        Orlando, Florida [hidden email] (personal)
        Web page: http://www.sanitarium.net/
        PGP public key available on web site.
~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2

iEYEARECAAYFAlZNFjMACgkQVKC1jlbQAQf8QgCeKl5k8n+s2L6iSeiL7LEjqA3i
kWgAnAvB1/xNpHgBlDNXW4azi1ccj3ft
=sJKf
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
Please use reply-all for most replies to avoid omitting the mailing list.
To unsubscribe or change options: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/rsync
Before posting, read: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exclude being ignored

Robert Holtzman
On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 07:22:12PM -0500, Kevin Korb wrote:
> Note the lack of a space here: --exclude '/tmp'--exclude
>
> Also, just use / for the source instead of /.
>
> Also, don't use -z on a local copy.

Many thanks for the reply/solution. I've looked at the command 10-12
times and missed the omission of the space. I had been dinking around
with it and inadvertently deleted the space. Added it and it's back to
working.

--

Bob Holtzman
A fair fight is the result of poor planning.


--
Please use reply-all for most replies to avoid omitting the mailing list.
To unsubscribe or change options: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/rsync
Before posting, read: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exclude being ignored

Kevin Korb
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

If you use --exclude=pattern instead of --exclude patter those become
more obvious.  Also, you wouldn't have turned 'media' into an
additional source parameter.

On 11/20/2015 06:33 PM, Bob Holtzman wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 07:22:12PM -0500, Kevin Korb wrote:
>> Note the lack of a space here: --exclude '/tmp'--exclude
>>
>> Also, just use / for the source instead of /.
>>
>> Also, don't use -z on a local copy.
>
> Many thanks for the reply/solution. I've looked at the command
> 10-12 times and missed the omission of the space. I had been
> dinking around with it and inadvertently deleted the space. Added
> it and it's back to working.
>

- --
~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,
        Kevin Korb Phone:    (407) 252-6853
        Systems Administrator Internet:
        FutureQuest, Inc. [hidden email]  (work)
        Orlando, Florida [hidden email] (personal)
        Web page: http://www.sanitarium.net/
        PGP public key available on web site.
~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2

iEYEARECAAYFAlZPsA8ACgkQVKC1jlbQAQdYfgCfaEqTCCOwyUxZFS7XZfMseHp0
LCcAoKGbjNOcUEjkE0lPhRB+AiIFHZIq
=xzxF
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
Please use reply-all for most replies to avoid omitting the mailing list.
To unsubscribe or change options: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/rsync
Before posting, read: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: exclude being ignored

Robert Holtzman
On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 06:43:12PM -0500, Kevin Korb wrote:
> If you use --exclude=pattern instead of --exclude patter those become
> more obvious.  Also, you wouldn't have turned 'media' into an
> additional source parameter.

You're right. Thanks.

--

Bob Holtzman
A fair fight is the result of poor planning.


--
Please use reply-all for most replies to avoid omitting the mailing list.
To unsubscribe or change options: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/rsync
Before posting, read: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html