downloading only specific directories from directory tree

downloading only specific directories from directory tree

Istvan Gabor
Hello:

I have read rsync manual and several howtos on how to use rsync, still
I don't know if it's doable what I want to do, and if yes, how.

The scenario:

I would like to make a local copy of openSUSE 13.2 repositories.
I use openSUSE linux.

The repos are located in a multi-level directory structure, eg:

ftp://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/opensuse/repositories/

Let's call this directory the root dir.

Each directory in the root has subdirectories, and one of the
subdirectories
is named "openSUSE_13.2". The openSUSE_13.2 dir can be one, two, or
more level
downstairs in the root dir, eg:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Apache/openSUSE_13.2/
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Apache:/MirrorBrain/openSUSE_13.2/

There are plenty of directories in the root dir, and each subdirectory
can
have several subdirectories.

Is it possible, using rsync, to download only all "openSUSE_13.2"
directories with
their contents, without specifying directly one by one every
subdirectory
to be included or excluded?

I tried to use filters.txt file with content:

+ **openSUSE_13.2/***

with this command:

rsync -av --include-from=filters.txt
rsync://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/opensuse/repositories/ ./

This downloads every directory. How can I exclude those are not
openSUSE_13.2?

Thanks,

Istvan

Re: downloading only specific directories from directory tree

Kevin Korb
An include only overrides an exclude that follows it.  So, you would
need something like this:

+ */
+ openSUSE_13.2/***
- *

Then add --prune-empty-dirs to your rsync command line.  I left off the
initial ** because it doesn't really mean anything unless openSUSE_13.2
isn't always the entire directory name in which case 1 * would do.

Another way to explain it is that by default everything is included.  An
exclude rule makes exceptions.  An include rule makes exceptions to the
exclude rule.

--
~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,
        Kevin Korb Phone:    (407) 252-6853

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 18:15:00 -0500, Kevin Korb wrote:

> An include only overrides an exclude that follows it.  So, you would
> need something like this:
>
> + */
> + openSUSE_13.2/***
> - *
>
> Then add --prune-empty-dirs to your rsync command line.  I left off
> the
> initial ** because it doesn't really mean anything unless
> openSUSE_13.2
> isn't always the entire directory name in which case 1 * would do.
>
> Another way to explain it is that by default everything is included.
> An
> exclude rule makes exceptions.  An include rule makes exceptions to
> the
> exclude rule.

Thank you a lot.
This worked the way I wanted.

Istvan

Re: downloading only specific directories from directory tree

Henri Shustak
The following URL may also be helpful in terms of another example :
http://www.lbackup.org/developer/advanced_excludes_file_examples

Hope that link is helpful.

HTRAX 2013 Revitalised : EGYPTIAN HUMP HTRAX : Direct URL download :
http://henri.shustak.org/download/htrax/egyptian-hump-htrax.mp3
"Dr Who Meets B52's" - More reviews : http://www.jessetaylor.com.au/htrax

On 21/01/2017, at 12:15 PM, Kevin Korb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> An include only overrides an exclude that follows it.  So, you would
> need something like this:
>
> + */
> + openSUSE_13.2/***
> - *
>
> Then add --prune-empty-dirs to your rsync command line.  I left off the
> initial ** because it doesn't really mean anything unless openSUSE_13.2
> isn't always the entire directory name in which case 1 * would do.
>
> Another way to explain it is that by default everything is included.  An
> exclude rule makes exceptions.  An include rule makes exceptions to the
> exclude rule.
>
> On 01/20/2017 06:08 PM, Istvan Gabor wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> I have read rsync manual and several howtos on how to use rsync, still
>> I don't know if it's doable what I want to do, and if yes, how.
>>
>> The scenario:
>>
>> I would like to make a local copy of openSUSE 13.2 repositories.
>> I use openSUSE linux.
>>
>> The repos are located in a multi-level directory structure, eg:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/opensuse/repositories/
>>
>> Let's call this directory the root dir.
>>
>> Each directory in the root has subdirectories, and one of the
>> subdirectories
>> is named "openSUSE_13.2". The openSUSE_13.2 dir can be one, two, or more
>> level
>> downstairs in the root dir, eg:
>>
>> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Apache/openSUSE_13.2/
>> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Apache:/MirrorBrain/openSUSE_13.2/
>>

>> There are plenty of directories in the root dir, and each subdirectory can
>> have several subdirectories.
>>
>> Is it possible, using rsync, to download only all "openSUSE_13.2"
>> directories with
>> their contents, without specifying directly one by one every subdirectory
>> to be included or excluded?
>>
>> I tried to use filters.txt file with content:
>>
>> + **openSUSE_13.2/***
>>
>> with this command:
>>
>> rsync -av --include-from=filters.txt
>> rsync://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/opensuse/repositories/ ./
>>
>> This downloads every directory. How can I exclude those are not
>> openSUSE_13.2?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Istvan
>>

> --
> ~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,
> Kevin Korb Phone:    (407) 252-6853
> Systems Administrator Internet:
> FutureQuest, Inc. [hidden email]  (work)
> Orlando, Florida [hidden email] (personal)
> Web page: http://www.sanitarium.net/
> PGP public key available on web site.
> ~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,

Re: downloading only specific directories from directory tree

Samba - rsync mailing list
Dear Kevin:

~ 1 year ago your answer helped me to solve my problem.
This time I would like to do a similar thing but little bit modified.
I read again carefully INCLUDE/EXCLUDE PATTERN RULES section of rsync
manual but still cannot comprehend every part of it.

I understand I have to add include patterns first and exclude patterns
second. But it is not clear if I have to add all the include patterns
first and all the exclude patterns after them. Or do I have add
include/exclude groups?

Now I would like to mirror openSUSE_Leap_42.2 dirs from
ftp://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/opensuse/repositories/
but only from specified directories and without files with debuginfo
or debugsource patterns in their names.

I tried this command:

rsync -av --include-from=filters.txt --prune-empty-dirs \
rsync://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/opensuse/repositories/ \
opensuse/repositories

where filters.txt contains:

+ /filesystems
+ /filesystems:
+ /games
+ /games:
+ /graphics
+ /graphics:
+ /hamradio
+ /hamradio:
+ /hardware
+ /hardware:
+ openSUSE_Leap_42.2/***
- *debuginfo*.rpm
- *debugsource*.rpm
- *

but it doesn't work the way I'd like.

1. The directories ending with : in their names are not mirrored.
I tried eg /games:  , /games\:  and "/games:", none of these worked.

2. The other directories are mirrored but debuginfo and debugsource
files are not excluded.

I'd appreciate if you explained what the problem is and how to solve
it.

Thanks in advance,

Istvan

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 18:15:00 -0500, Kevin Korb wrote:

> An include only overrides an exclude that follows it.  So, you would
> need something like this:
>
> + */
> + openSUSE_13.2/***
> - *
>
> Then add --prune-empty-dirs to your rsync command line.  I left off
> the
> initial ** because it doesn't really mean anything unless
> openSUSE_13.2
> isn't always the entire directory name in which case 1 * would do.
>
> Another way to explain it is that by default everything is included.
> An
> exclude rule makes exceptions.  An include rule makes exceptions to
> the
> exclude rule.
>
> On 01/20/2017 06:08 PM, Istvan Gabor wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> I have read rsync manual and several howtos on how to use rsync,
>> still
>> I don't know if it's doable what I want to do, and if yes, how.
>>
>> The scenario:
>>
>> I would like to make a local copy of openSUSE 13.2 repositories.
>> I use openSUSE linux.
>>
>> The repos are located in a multi-level directory structure, eg:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/opensuse/repositories/
>>
>> Let's call this directory the root dir.
>>
>> Each directory in the root has subdirectories, and one of the
>> subdirectories
>> is named "openSUSE_13.2". The openSUSE_13.2 dir can be one, two, or
>> more
>> level
>> downstairs in the root dir, eg:
>>
>> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Apache/openSUSE_13.2/
>>
>> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Apache:/MirrorBrain/openSUSE_13.2/
>>

>> There are plenty of directories in the root dir, and each
>> subdirectory can
>> have several subdirectories.
>>
>> Is it possible, using rsync, to download only all "openSUSE_13.2"
>> directories with
>> their contents, without specifying directly one by one every
>> subdirectory
>> to be included or excluded?
>>
>> I tried to use filters.txt file with content:
>>
>> + **openSUSE_13.2/***
>>
>> with this command:
>>
>> rsync -av --include-from=filters.txt
>> rsync://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/opensuse/repositories/ ./
>>
>> This downloads every directory. How can I exclude those are not
>> openSUSE_13.2?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Istvan

Re: downloading only specific directories from directory tree

Samba - rsync mailing list
1.  You don't appear to be including anything that is within the colon
dirs so they are being left out by --prune-empty-dirs.

2.  Includes only override excludes that follow them.  Since your debug
excludes are exceptions to the openSUSE_Leap_42.2/*** include they must
be before it not after it.

--
~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,
        Kevin Korb Phone:    (407) 252-6853
        Systems Administrator Internet:
        FutureQuest, Inc. [hidden email]  (work)
        Orlando, Florida [hidden email] (personal)
        Web page: http://www.sanitarium.net/
        PGP public key available on web site.
~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,

Re: downloading only specific directories from directory tree

Samba - rsync mailing list
Thank you for your answer, Kevin.

2. OK, I understand.

1. I checked colon dirs, and indeed they don't have openSUSE_Leap_42.2
dirs directly. But they have different subdirs which have
openSUSE_Leap_42.2 dirs. What would be the correct filter set
to mirror all openSUSE_Leap_42.2 dirs at any level if I don't want
to include all dirs at the root level? At the roor level tehre are
many dirs and I can't mirror everything at a time because of space
limitations. I would like to mirror different groups from the
root level separately. Either by using root level pattern names or
by directly specifying the dirs I want to mirror. Each root level dir
may or may not have an openSUSE_Leap_42.2 dir directly or at a
deeper level. I want to mirror all openSUSE_Leap_42.2 dirs that
belong to the specified root level dirs. To make it clear, for example,
I want to mirror games, games:, graphics, graphics:, hamradio,
hamradio:,
hardware, hardware:, only the openSUSE_Leap_42.2 directory containing
paths.
What would be the rules for this?

Thanks again,

Istvan

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 18:27:11 -0500, Kevin Korb via rsync wrote:

> 1.  You don't appear to be including anything that is within the
> colon
> dirs so they are being left out by --prune-empty-dirs.
>
> 2.  Includes only override excludes that follow them.  Since your
> debug
> excludes are exceptions to the openSUSE_Leap_42.2/*** include they
> must
> be before it not after it.
>
> On 01/10/2018 05:46 PM, Istvan Gabor via rsync wrote:
>> Dear Kevin:
>>
>> ~ 1 year ago your answer helped me to solve my problem.
>> This time I would like to do a similar thing but little bit
>> modified.
>> I read again carefully INCLUDE/EXCLUDE PATTERN RULES section of
>> rsync
>> manual but still cannot comprehend every part of it.
>>
>> I understand I have to add include patterns first and exclude
>> patterns
>> second. But it is not clear if I have to add all the include
>> patterns
>> first and all the exclude patterns after them. Or do I have add
>> include/exclude groups?
>>
>> Now I would like to mirror openSUSE_Leap_42.2 dirs from
>> ftp://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/opensuse/repositories/
>> but only from specified directories and without files with debuginfo
>> or debugsource patterns in their names.
>>
>> I tried this command:
>>
>> rsync -av --include-from=filters.txt --prune-empty-dirs \
>> rsync://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/opensuse/repositories/ \
>> opensuse/repositories
>>
>> where filters.txt contains:
>>
>> + /filesystems
>> + /filesystems:
>> + /games
>> + /games:
>> + /graphics
>> + /graphics:
>> + /hamradio
>> + /hamradio:
>> + /hardware
>> + /hardware:
>> + openSUSE_Leap_42.2/***
>> - *debuginfo*.rpm
>> - *debugsource*.rpm
>> - *
>>
>> but it doesn't work the way I'd like.
>>
>> 1. The directories ending with : in their names are not mirrored.
>> I tried eg /games:  , /games\:  and "/games:", none of these worked.
>>
>> 2. The other directories are mirrored but debuginfo and debugsource
>> files are not excluded.
>>
>> I'd appreciate if you explained what the problem is and how to solve
>> it.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Istvan

Re: downloading only specific directories from directory tree

Samba - rsync mailing list
If you want every openSUSE_Leap_42.2 then just add an include of */ and
let --prune-empty-dirs handle the rest.  If you want it only in those
dirs then you would need something like (I didn't test this):
+ dir:/
+ dir:/**/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/***

--