different shares use parts of the same path - is this allowed?

different shares use parts of the same path - is this allowed?

Samba - General mailing list
hi everyone

something like this:

[big]
path = /data/big
writeable = no

[my.big]
path = /data/big/my
writeable = yes

[your.big]
path = /data/big/your
writeable = yes

is such a configuration healthy? What are possible negative
implications this may cause, if any?
ver. 4.4
many thanks,

Re: different shares use parts of the same path - is this allowed?

Samba - General mailing list
I can't speak to what the best practice is, but I have some shares that are
set up like that from before I started working there. No major issues as
long as samba was not setting the permissions differently

On 15/03/17 16:09, Luke Barone via samba wrote:

> I can't speak to what the best practice is, but I have some shares that are
> set up like that from before I started working there. No major issues as
> long as samba was not setting the permissions differently
>
> On Mar 15, 2017 7:42 AM, "lejeczek via samba" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> hi everyone
>
> something like this:
>
> [big]
> path = /data/big
> writeable = no
>
> [my.big]
> path = /data/big/my
> writeable = yes
>
> [your.big]
> path = /data/big/your
> writeable = yes
>
> is such a configuration healthy? What are possible negative implications
> this may cause, if any?
> ver. 4.4
> many thanks,

I thought, that would be well tried & tested subject. And
that samba docs would themselves cover the subject of
"conflicting" paths, but I sroogled and find almost
nothing.(or my sroogling force is weak)

Am 15.03.2017 um 15:39 schrieb lejeczek via samba:

> something like this:
>
> [big]
> path = /data/big
> writeable = no
>
> [my.big]
> path = /data/big/my
> writeable = yes
>
> [your.big]
> path = /data/big/your
> writeable = yes
>
> is such a configuration healthy? What are possible negative implications
> this may cause, if any?

There is no limitation. It works as expected.

Regards,
Marc

On 16/03/17 16:38, Marc Muehlfeld via samba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 15.03.2017 um 15:39 schrieb lejeczek via samba:
>> something like this:
>>
>> [big]
>> path = /data/big
>> writeable = no
>>
>> [my.big]
>> path = /data/big/my
>> writeable = yes
>>
>> [your.big]
>> path = /data/big/your
>> writeable = yes
>>
>> is such a configuration healthy? What are possible
>> negative implications
>> this may cause, if any?
>
> There is no limitation. It works as expected.
>

> Regards,
> Marc

thank chaps,
but what if one changes:

[big]
path = /data/big
writeable = yes

and multiple shares would have users writing, would Samba
take of all this, locking racing or whatever devel calls it.
Still ok?

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 05:33:43PM +0000, lejeczek via samba wrote:

> On 16/03/17 16:38, Marc Muehlfeld via samba wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Am 15.03.2017 um 15:39 schrieb lejeczek via samba:
> >>something like this:
> >>
> >>[big]
> >>path = /data/big
> >>writeable = no
> >>
> >>[my.big]
> >>path = /data/big/my
> >>writeable = yes
> >>
> >>[your.big]
> >>path = /data/big/your
> >>writeable = yes
> >>
> >>is such a configuration healthy? What are possible negative
> >>implications
> >>this may cause, if any?
> >
> >There is no limitation. It works as expected.
> >

> >Regards,
> >Marc
> >

> thank chaps,
> but what if one changes:
>
> [big]
> path = /data/big
> writeable = yes
>
> and multiple shares would have users writing, would Samba take of
> all this, locking racing or whatever devel calls it.
> Still ok?

Should work, smbd uses dev/ino pairs to identify
files. But it's not recommended. Only export a
filesystem path *once* please.