dfs links anywhere?

Samba - General mailing list
Hi all,
   Is 'msdfs root = yes' required in any share (along with 'host msdfs =
yes' in global) where you'd like msdfs links to work (redirect the client)?
   Can more than one server have a share with 'msdfs root = yes'?  Or
can there be only one root?  (Setting 'msdfs root = yes' on shares on
more than one server seems to be working at the moment, but I'd thought
I tried this earlier and had problems....)

Running Samba 4.2

Thanks!
Chad.

Re: dfs links anywhere?

Chad William Seys via samba <[hidden email]> writes:
> Hi all,
>    Is 'msdfs root = yes' required in any share (along with 'host msdfs =
> yes' in global) where you'd like msdfs links to work (redirect the client)?

yes

>    Can more than one server have a share with 'msdfs root = yes'?  Or
> can there be only one root?  (Setting 'msdfs root = yes' on shares on

yes

Cheers,

--
Aurélien Aptel / SUSE Labs Samba Team
GPG: 1839 CB5F 9F5B FB9B AA97  8C99 03C8 A49B 521B D5D3

Re: dfs links anywhere?

Samba - General mailing list
Hello,

>>     Can more than one server have a share with 'msdfs root = yes'?  Or
>> can there be only one root?  (Setting 'msdfs root = yes' on shares on
>
> yes

Thanks!  It works great for all clients* except the linux kernel (v4.9)
mount, which was what led me astray.

Any idea if this works in more recent kernels?  If not where do I wish
list this. :)

Thanks,
Chad.

* clients tested Windows 10, Mac OS X 10.12, gnome 3.22 vfs, linux
kernel v4.9 .

Re: dfs links anywhere?

Samba - General mailing list
Chad William Seys <[hidden email]> writes:
> Thanks!  It works great for all clients* except the linux kernel (v4.9)
> mount, which was what led me astray.

Which smb version are you using (mount option)? Support for DFS on smb2+
was only added in linux 4.11.

Cheers,

--
Aurélien Aptel / SUSE Labs Samba Team
GPG: 1839 CB5F 9F5B FB9B AA97  8C99 03C8 A49B 521B D5D3
SUSE Linux GmbH, Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)

Re: dfs links anywhere?

Samba - General mailing list
> Which smb version are you using (mount option)? Support for DFS on smb2+
> was only added in linux 4.11.

smbstatus shows the connection as NT1.

DFS links do work like this:
serverA_msdfsrootYES => serverB_msdfsrootNO

But not like this:
serverA_msdfsrootYES => serverB_msdfsrootYES

Somehow the destination having 'msdfsroot yes' prevents the cifs kernel
module from following the link.

Thanks!
C.

Re: dfs links anywhere?

Samba - General mailing list
Chad William Seys <[hidden email]> writes:
> Somehow the destination having 'msdfsroot yes' prevents the cifs kernel
> module from following the link.

Could you provide a network trace from the linux client of you mounting
and accessing this multi-level target, along with verbose kernel logs?

    echo 'module cifs +p' > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control
    echo 'file fs/cifs/* +p' > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control
    echo 1 > /proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI
    echo 1 > /sys/module/dns_resolver/parameters/debug

    dmesg --clear
    tcpdump -w trace.pcap & pid=$!
    sleep 3
    mount.cifs ....cd ... ls.. blahblah
    sleep 3
    kill $pid
    dmesg > trace.log

this should produce a trace.pcap and trace.log file.