an idea for CLUG tomorrow

Samba - linux mailing list
All

So how does this sound

I was contacted by a recruiter who is keen to speak for a few minutes about
Linux jobs he sees on the market in Canberra and skills with Linux there
seems to be a demand for.

Initially this could just be a little commercial sounding, however it occurs
to me it could be a good intro to a round table.

Maybe after hearing what he has to say others at the meeting can talk about
Linux thigns they do in their day job.

When have you used Linux, have you manged to introduxce Linxu to solve
somehting interesting. Has Linux always been a part of your work, in what
ways to Linux skills come in to play in your work.

Get up and tell others there about it and see if any ideas cross polinate
(seeing how others use Linux at work may solve something for you)

What do you all reckon? Sound like something worth discussing?

Bob has used Linux for his work since CLUG began, other people not so much,
however I think there is scope for this discussion even if there are only 10
people at CLUG.

        See You
            Steve

--
Steven Hanley [hidden email] http://svana.org/sjh/diary
we do a whole lotta laughin at the shyness that surrounds us

Re: an idea for CLUG tomorrow

Samba - linux mailing list
Sounds like it might be interesting.
I can relate a story of 5 year attempt to get a Linux system introduced
into a Windows environment.

Brenton

On Wed, 2017-04-26 at 20:37 +1000, Steven Hanley via linux wrote:

> All
>
> So how does this sound
>
> I was contacted by a recruiter who is keen to speak for a few minutes about
> Linux jobs he sees on the market in Canberra and skills with Linux there
> seems to be a demand for.
>
> Initially this could just be a little commercial sounding, however it occurs
> to me it could be a good intro to a round table.
>
> Maybe after hearing what he has to say others at the meeting can talk about
> Linux thigns they do in their day job.
>
> When have you used Linux, have you manged to introduxce Linxu to solve
> somehting interesting. Has Linux always been a part of your work, in what
> ways to Linux skills come in to play in your work.
>
> Get up and tell others there about it and see if any ideas cross polinate
> (seeing how others use Linux at work may solve something for you)
>
> What do you all reckon? Sound like something worth discussing?
>
> Bob has used Linux for his work since CLUG began, other people not so much,
> however I think there is scope for this discussion even if there are only 10
> people at CLUG.
>
> See You
>    Steve
>
> --
> Steven Hanley [hidden email] http://svana.org/sjh/diary
> we do a whole lotta laughin at the shyness that surrounds us
> i do a whole lotta lookin somewhere else i don't need to look
> no, i can just feel you besides every time i see you
> it just forces me to look at myself
>    Bliss Like This - Educated Guess - Ani

Re: an idea for CLUG tomorrow

Samba - linux mailing list
Thanks, Steven:

> I was contacted by a recruiter who is keen to speak for a few minutes about
> Linux jobs he sees on the market in Canberra and skills with Linux there
> seems to be a demand for.

That is way too sophisticated for me!

> Initially this could just be a little commercial sounding, however it occurs
> to me it could be a good intro to a round table.

My job is retirement. So managing my own setup is what I do with Ubuntu.

> Maybe after hearing what he has to say others at the meeting can talk about
> Linux thigns they do in their day job.

I am currently phasing out a 32 bit box running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

> When have you used Linux, have you manged to introduxce Linxu to solve
> somehting interesting.

I use Ubuntu (12.04 LTS and 16.04 LTS) daily.

> Has Linux always been a part of your work, in what
> ways to Linux skills come in to play in your work.

Not at all--it's an innovation of the last few years.

> Get up and tell others there about it and see if any ideas cross polinate
> (seeing how others use Linux at work may solve something for you)

I am a home user.

> What do you all reckon?

"Employment"--does not allow for occupation:retired!

> Sound like something worth discussing?

Linux for retirees would be more my deal.

> Bob has used Linux for his work since CLUG began, other people not so much,
> however I think there is scope for this discussion even if there are only 10
> people at CLUG.

What people use Linux for, is more the go for me.
--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/

Re: an idea for CLUG tomorrow

Samba - linux mailing list
Thanks, Brenton:

> Sounds like it might be interesting.

Current trends in usage would interest me.

> I can relate a story of 5 year attempt to get a Linux system introduced
> into a Windows environment.

This is where we excel, in life experience to share.
--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/

Re: an idea for CLUG tomorrow

Samba - linux mailing list
    +1, but when will they (recruiter), be coming to CLUG ?

I will have difficulty making it to CLUG this month, but... I would
not want to miss this opportunity.

At Wednesday, 26-04-2017 on 20:37 Steven Hanley via linux wrote:

[...]

I'm getting pinged on a regular basis for Linux work, but people seem to
thing that 3 month contracts are a good thing. My age I'm a bit more
interested in job security. Although someone from Amazon in the US was
asking me to apply for a job a couple of days ago.

On 26 April 2017 at 22:15, Bryan Kilgallin (laptop) via linux <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Brenton:
>
> Sounds like it might be interesting.
>>

> Current trends in usage would interest me.
>
> I can relate a story of 5 year attempt to get a Linux system introduced
>> into a Windows environment.
>>

> This is where we excel, in life experience to share.
> --
> www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/

  "I and the public know
  what all schoolchildren learn
  Those to whom evil is done
  Do evil in return" W.H. Auden, "September 1, 1939"

Re: an idea for CLUG tomorrow

Samba - linux mailing list
All

So this sounds like it will work well.

I responded to Shane (from Hays) saying please do come and speak at the
start of the meeting and we cna have a disucssion aorund these ideas.

06:10pm at Wig and Pen for BeerSIG, 07:00pm at CSIT N101 for Linux in Jobs
CLUG presentation and discusson.

Pizza afterwards as always.

        See You
            Steve

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 08:37:51PM +1000, Steven Hanley via linux wrote:

> All
>
> So how does this sound
>
> I was contacted by a recruiter who is keen to speak for a few minutes about
> Linux jobs he sees on the market in Canberra and skills with Linux there
> seems to be a demand for.
>
> Initially this could just be a little commercial sounding, however it occurs
> to me it could be a good intro to a round table.
>
> Maybe after hearing what he has to say others at the meeting can talk about
> Linux thigns they do in their day job.
>
> When have you used Linux, have you manged to introduxce Linxu to solve
> somehting interesting. Has Linux always been a part of your work, in what
> ways to Linux skills come in to play in your work.
>
> Get up and tell others there about it and see if any ideas cross polinate
> (seeing how others use Linux at work may solve something for you)
>
> What do you all reckon? Sound like something worth discussing?
>
> Bob has used Linux for his work since CLUG began, other people not so much,
> however I think there is scope for this discussion even if there are only 10
> people at CLUG.
>
> See You
>    Steve
>
> --
> Steven Hanley [hidden email] http://svana.org/sjh/diary
> we do a whole lotta laughin at the shyness that surrounds us
> i do a whole lotta lookin somewhere else i don't need to look
> no, i can just feel you besides every time i see you
> it just forces me to look at myself
>    Bliss Like This - Educated Guess - Ani

Steven Hanley [hidden email] http://svana.org/sjh/diary
the first person in your life, to ever really matter, is saying the last thing
that you want to hear, and you are listening hard
through the splintering shards, of your life as it shatters
   Sick Of Me - Reckoning - Ani