ad pdc windows network places not showing up

ad pdc windows network places not showing up

Samba - General mailing list
I have a working samba pdc setup called \\dc1 users can login etc.  When
opening network places the only machine that shows up is the windows 7
machine.  I want the DC1 to show up but it does not.

I am running samba 4.7
dhcp is handled by a pfsense router
here's the smb.conf

Thanks in advance
[global]
        realm = JKDRBS.COM
        workgroup = JKDRBS
        domain master = Yes
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes
        dns forwarder = 192.168.4.1
        min receivefile size = 16384
        name resolve order = bcast lmhosts host wins
        passdb backend = samba_dsdb
        server signing = No
        dns proxy = No
        rpc_server:tcpip = no
        rpc_daemon:spoolssd = embedded
        rpc_server:spoolss = embedded
        rpc_server:winreg = embedded
        rpc_server:ntsvcs = embedded
        rpc_server:eventlog = embedded
        rpc_server:srvsvc = embedded
        rpc_server:svcctl = embedded
        rpc_server:default = external
        winbindd:use external pipes = true
        idmap config * : backend = tdb
        map archive = No
        map readonly = no
        store dos attributes = Yes
        aio read size = 16384
        aio write size = 16384
        allocation roundup size = 4096
        strict allocate = Yes
        vfs objects = dfs_samba4 acl_xattr

[netlogon]
        path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/jkdrbs.com/scripts
        read only = No

[sysvol]
        read only = No

[Users]
        path = /Users
        csc policy = disable
        read only = No
        directory mode: parameter = 0700

[brother]
        path = /var/tmp
        printable = Yes
        printer name = brother

Re: ad pdc windows network places not showing up

Samba - General mailing list
Hi Joe,

Am 11.09.2017 um 03:29 schrieb Joe Ditto via samba:
> I have a working samba pdc setup called \\dc1 users can login etc.

Please don't use the term "PDC" if you are talking about Active
Directory. That's confusing. In an AD, you have only domain controllers
(DC). A PDC only exists in NT4 domains.

> When opening network places the only machine that shows up
> is the windows 7 machine.  I want the DC1 to show up but
> it does not.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/FAQ#Why_Is_the_Network_Neighbourhood_Empty_or_Does_Not_Show_All_Machines_in_the_Domain.3F

Regards,
Marc

Re: ad pdc windows network places not showing up

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 21:29:53 -0400
Joe Ditto via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a working samba pdc setup called \\dc1 users can login etc.
> When opening network places the only machine that shows up is the
> windows 7 machine.  I want the DC1 to show up but it does not.

Sorry but you will never see your DC (NOTE: it is not a PDC) in network
browsing.

> I am running samba 4.7

No your not, it hasn't been released yet

> dhcp is handled by a pfsense router
> here's the smb.conf

Next time, can you use 'samba-tool testparm' ;-)

Can I suggest you remove all these lines:

domain master = Yes
os level = 65
preferred master = Yes
min receivefile size = 16384
name resolve order = bcast lmhosts host wins
server signing = No
dns proxy = No
aio read size = 16384
aio write size = 16384
allocation roundup size = 4096
strict allocate = Yes

You might need them on a PDC, but as you don't have a PDC, you don't
need them.

You should also remove these two lines from [Users]:

csc policy = disable
directory mode: parameter = 0700

They do not work on a DC, see here: