about the worm feature

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
Hi, all

I'd like to use vfs_worm modules to make a backup share for our storage system.
Except the grace period, I think it is better to add a retention period.
A retention period means that during this period files are protected and immutable,
but over the period the files can be modified or deleted.

How about add this idea to add the options?
Or should I create a new vfs module to implement this?

Regards,
Li Dan

Re: about the worm feature

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
I think your should create a new module for this. Even if would be
based on or share a large amount of code
with vfs_worm.

The reason I think so is because 'worm' has a common meaning for
storage and it would be
confusing with a 'worm' module that does similar to but not quite 'worm'.

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 12:40 PM, Li, Dan via samba-technical
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, all
>
> I'd like to use vfs_worm modules to make a backup share for our storage system.
> Except the grace period, I think it is better to add a retention period.
> A retention period means that during this period files are protected and immutable,
> but over the period the files can be modified or deleted.
>
> How about add this idea to add the options?
> Or should I create a new vfs module to implement this?
>

> Regards,
> Li Dan

RE: about the worm feature

Thanks for your suggestion!

I can add a new module named "worml" for short of "worm limit" which has the retention period.
I'd like to implement it based on the code of vfs_worm and vfs_readonly.

I know that 'worm' has a common meaning in storage for ages,
but I think the meaning is changing because the evolution of the media of storage.
For example, Glusterfs and NetApp has its worm feature with the retention period.

http://blog.gluster.org/2016/07/worm-write-once-read-multiple-retention-and-compliance-2/
http://www.netapp.com/us/products/backup-recovery/snaplock-compliance.aspx

Anyway, can I just contribute my patch and how should I do that?

Regards,
Li Dan

Re: about the worm feature

On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 05:19:52AM +0000, Li, Dan via samba-technical wrote:
> Thanks for your suggestion!

fwiw, I agree with Ronnie, this should go into a new module.

> I can add a new module named "worml" for short of "worm limit" which has the retention period.
> I'd like to implement it based on the code of vfs_worm and vfs_readonly.

worml sounds awkward, why not just vfs_retention?

> I know that 'worm' has a common meaning in storage for ages,
> but I think the meaning is changing because the evolution of the media of storage.
> For example, Glusterfs and NetApp has its worm feature with the retention period.
>
> http://blog.gluster.org/2016/07/worm-write-once-read-multiple-retention-and-compliance-2/
> http://www.netapp.com/us/products/backup-recovery/snaplock-compliance.aspx
>
> Anyway, can I just contribute my patch and how should I do that?

<https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Contribute>

The initial section "How to contribute to Samba?" covers the most important
things, namely copyright policy, signed-off-by tags and git format patches. :)

-slow