Windows 98 cannot connect to Samba 3.6.23-45el6 after upgrade from 3.0.33-3.41.el5

Windows 98 cannot connect to Samba 3.6.23-45el6 after upgrade from 3.0.33-3.41.el5

Samba - General mailing list
I upgraded a server from CentOS 5 to CentOS 6 and migrated the samba
users, accounts, and files. Everyone reconnected without a problem
except a Win98 user.
Is there anything that changed that would disallow a Win98 machine from
connecting.
It doesn't prompt for password.  It just doesn't connect.

When attempting to map the drive, I get:
"The following error occurred while trying to connect S: to \\server\folder

The computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed it
correctly and try again."

No entries in /var/log/messages /var/log/samba/smb.log /var/log/secure

I can connect on the same subnet with Windows 10 machines using the same
credentials.

Re: Windows 98 cannot connect to Samba 3.6.23-45el6 after upgrade from 3.0.33-3.41.el5

Samba - General mailing list
On Mon, 2017-12-11 at 15:49 -0500, Justin Cantrell via samba wrote:

> I upgraded a server from CentOS 5 to CentOS 6 and migrated the samba
> users, accounts, and files. Everyone reconnected without a problem
> except a Win98 user.
> Is there anything that changed that would disallow a Win98 machine from
> connecting.
> It doesn't prompt for password.  It just doesn't connect.
>
> When attempting to map the drive, I get:
> "The following error occurred while trying to connect S: to \\server\folder
>
> The computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed it
> correctly and try again."
>
> No entries in /var/log/messages /var/log/samba/smb.log /var/log/secure
>
> I can connect on the same subnet with Windows 10 machines using the same
> credentials.

My first guess is that you need to set:

lanman auth = yes

Naturally this isn't secure, but this is most likely what the issue is.

If not, turn up the logs and see what more detail you can get.  3.6
still uses SMB1 only by default (and this is still on by default even
in modern versions), so it won't be the new SMB2 world.

I hope this helps,

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team         https://samba.org
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Re: Windows 98 cannot connect to Samba 3.6.23-45el6 after upgrade from 3.0.33-3.41.el5

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 15:49:51 -0500
Justin Cantrell via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I upgraded a server from CentOS 5 to CentOS 6 and migrated the samba
> users, accounts, and files. Everyone reconnected without a problem
> except a Win98 user.

I take it that you cannot upgrade the Win98 computer.

> Is there anything that changed that would disallow a Win98 machine
> from connecting.

Possibly, you could try reading the release notes you will find here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Features_added/changed_(by_release)

> It doesn't prompt for password.  It just doesn't connect.
>
> When attempting to map the drive, I get:
> "The following error occurred while trying to connect S: to
> \\server\folder
>
> The computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed it
> correctly and try again."
>
> No entries in /var/log/messages /var/log/samba/smb.log /var/log/secure

Have you tried raising the log level in smb.conf ?

> I can connect on the same subnet with Windows 10 machines using the
> same credentials.

Can you post your smb.conf

On 12/11/2017 04:18 PM, Andrew Bartlett via samba wrote:

> On Mon, 2017-12-11 at 15:49 -0500, Justin Cantrell via samba wrote:
>> I upgraded a server from CentOS 5 to CentOS 6 and migrated the samba
>> users, accounts, and files. Everyone reconnected without a problem
>> except a Win98 user.
>> Is there anything that changed that would disallow a Win98 machine from
>> connecting.
>> It doesn't prompt for password.  It just doesn't connect.
>>
>> When attempting to map the drive, I get:
>> "The following error occurred while trying to connect S: to \\server\folder
>>
>> The computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed it
>> correctly and try again."
>>
>> No entries in /var/log/messages /var/log/samba/smb.log /var/log/secure
>>
>> I can connect on the same subnet with Windows 10 machines using the same
>> credentials.
> My first guess is that you need to set:
>
> lanman auth = yes
I have tried this. It didn't do anything
> Naturally this isn't secure, but this is most likely what the issue is.
>
> If not, turn up the logs and see what more detail you can get.  3.6
> still uses SMB1 only by default (and this is still on by default even
> in modern versions), so it won't be the new SMB2 world.
I tried log level 2. It gave no indications. I guess I'll go higher.

--
Justin Cantrell
Awesome Astronomer,

Re: Windows 98 cannot connect to Samba 3.6.23-45el6 after upgrade from 3.0.33-3.41.el5

> On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 15:49:51 -0500
> Justin Cantrell via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I upgraded a server from CentOS 5 to CentOS 6 and migrated the samba
>> users, accounts, and files. Everyone reconnected without a problem
>> except a Win98 user.
> I take it that you cannot upgrade the Win98 computer.
No, it's actually a very expensive milling machine.

>> Is there anything that changed that would disallow a Win98 machine
>> from connecting.
> Possibly, you could try reading the release notes you will find here:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Features_added/changed_(by_release)
>
>> It doesn't prompt for password.  It just doesn't connect.
>>
>> When attempting to map the drive, I get:
>> "The following error occurred while trying to connect S: to
>> \\server\folder
>>
>> The computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed it
>> correctly and try again."
>>
>> No entries in /var/log/messages /var/log/samba/smb.log /var/log/secure
> Have you tried raising the log level in smb.conf ?
>> I can connect on the same subnet with Windows 10 machines using the
>> same credentials.
>>
> Can you post your smb.conf
[global]

     workgroup = myworkgroup
     netbios name = SERVERNAME

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
     server string = Server

# This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
# connections to machines which are on your local network. The
# following example restricts access to two C class networks and
# the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
# the smb.conf man page

     hosts allow = 192.168.1.

# if you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
     printcap name = /etc/printcap
;    load printers = yes

# It should not be necessary to spell out the print system type unless
# yours is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
# bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx, cups
;    printing = cups

# Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to
/etc/passwd
# otherwise the user "nobody" is used
;  guest account = pcguest

# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
     log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
log level = 2
# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
     max log size = 50

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
;    security = user

# Use password server option only with security = server
# The argument list may include:
#   password server = My_PDC_Name [My_BDC_Name] [My_Next_BDC_Name]
# or to auto-locate the domain controller/s
#   password server = *
;   password server = <NT-Server-Name>

# Password Level allows matching of _n_ characters of the password for
# all combinations of upper and lower case.
;  password level = 8
;  username level = 8

# You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
# ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
# Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
;    encrypt passwords = yes
;    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

# The following is needed to keep smbclient from spouting spurious errors
# when Samba is built with support for SSL.
;   ssl CA certFile = /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt

# The following are needed to allow password changing from Windows to
# update the Linux system password also.
# NOTE: Use these with 'encrypt passwords' and 'smb passwd file' above.
# NOTE2: You do NOT need these to allow workstations to change only
#        the encrypted SMB passwords. They allow the Unix password
#        to be kept in sync with the SMB password.
#   unix password sync = Yes
;    unix password sync = No
#   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
#   passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n

# You can use PAM's password change control flag for Samba. If
# enabled, then PAM will be used for password changes when requested
# by an SMB client instead of the program listed in passwd program.
# It should be possible to enable this without changing your passwd
# chat parameter for most setups.

     pam password change = yes

# Unix users can map to different SMB User names
;  username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

# Using the following line enables you to customise your configuration
# on a per machine basis. The %m gets replaced with the netbios name
# of the machine that is connecting
;   include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.%m

# This parameter will control whether or not Samba should obey PAM's
# account and session management directives. The default behavior is
# to use PAM for clear text authentication only and to ignore any
# account or session management. Note that Samba always ignores PAM
# for authentication in the case of encrypt passwords = yes

     obey pam restrictions = yes

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details

# Configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
# If you have multiple network interfaces then you must list them
# here. See the man page for details.
;   interfaces = 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24

# Configure remote browse list synchronisation here
#  request announcement to, or browse list sync from:
#    a specific host or from / to a whole subnet (see below)
;   remote browse sync =
# Cause this host to announce itself to local subnets here
;   remote announce = 192.168.1.255 192.168.2.44

# Browser Control Options:
# set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
# browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
;    local master = yes

# OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
# elections. The default value should be reasonable
     os level = 128

# Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
# allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
# if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
     domain master = yes

# Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on startup
# and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
;   preferred master = yes

# Enable this if you want Samba to be a domain logon server for
# Windows95 workstations.
     domain logons = yes

# if you enable domain logons then you may want a per-machine or
# per user logon script
# run a specific logon batch file per workstation (machine)
;   logon script = %m.bat
# run a specific logon batch file per username
;   logon script = %U.bat

# Where to store roving profiles (only for Win95 and WinNT)
#        %L substitutes for this servers netbios name, %U is username
#        You must uncomment the [Profiles] share below
;   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS
Server
     wins support = yes

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
#    Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
;   wins server = w.x.y.z

# WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
# behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
# at least one    WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
     wins proxy = yes

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
# via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
# this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
;    dns proxy = yes
     username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
;    guest ok = no
;    guest account = nobody

# Case Preservation can be handy - system default is _no_
# NOTE: These can be set on a per share basis
;  preserve case = no
;  short preserve case = no
# Default case is normally upper case for all DOS files
;  default case = lower
# Be very careful with case sensitivity - it can break things!
;  case sensitive = no

     follow symlinks = yes
     wide links = yes
     unix extensions = no
     laman auth = yes
     client lanman auth = yes
     client plaintext auth = yes
==============================
[homes]
     comment = Home Directories
     browseable = no
     writeable = yes
     follow symlinks = yes
     wide links = yes
     unix extensions = no
;   valid users = %S
;   create mode = 0664
;   directory mode = 0775

#=== Administration Group shared directories ===

[share]
     comment = shared directory
     path = /home/share
     directory mask = 0770
     force create mode = 0770
     force directory mode = 0770
     valid users = +share
;    guest ok = no
     writeable = yes

Re: Windows 98 cannot connect to Samba 3.6.23-45el6 after upgrade from 3.0.33-3.41.el5

Samba - General mailing list
On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 16:32:06 -0500
> [...]

> ;  default case = lower
> # Be very careful with case sensitivity - it can break things!
> ;  case sensitive = no
>
>      follow symlinks = yes
>      wide links = yes
>      unix extensions = no
>      laman auth = yes
>      client lanman auth = yes
>      client plaintext auth = yes
> #============================ Share Definitions
> ==============================
> [homes]
>      comment = Home Directories
>      browseable = no
>      writeable = yes
>      follow symlinks = yes
>      wide links = yes
>      unix extensions = no
> ;   valid users = %S
> ;   create mode = 0664
> ;   directory mode = 0775
>
> #=== Administration Group shared directories ===

You have 'laman auth = yes' , it should be 'lanman auth = yes'

> [...]

> [homes]
>      comment = Home Directories
>      browseable = no
>      writeable = yes
>      follow symlinks = yes
>      wide links = yes
>      unix extensions = no
> ;   valid users = %S
> ;   create mode = 0664
> ;   directory mode = 0775
>
> #=== Administration Group shared directories ===
>
> [share]
>      comment = shared directory
>      path = /home/share
>      directory mask = 0770
>      force create mode = 0770
>      force directory mode = 0770
>      valid users = +share
> ;    guest ok = no
>      writeable = yes
>

> > Rowland
> >

>You have 'laman auth = yes' , it should be 'lanman auth = yes'

No luck. It doesn't even ask for username and password. It's like it's not
even hitting the server.

Re: Windows 98 cannot connect to Samba 3.6.23-45el6 after upgrade from 3.0.33-3.41.el5

Samba - General mailing list
Solved! That was painful.
First, Samba 3.6.23-45el6 on CentOS6 doesn't start nmbd when samba
starts. Those are different services now.
Make sure that's enabled and stars.
Also, add to the smb.conf
     lanman auth = yes
     client lanman auth = yes
     client ntlmv2 auth = no    ;client lanman auth son't work without
this. not sure why.

Restart samba and you must use smbpasswd -a to the account again or it
won't accept the password.

That was convoluted, but I hope it helps someone (ie: future me when I
break this again).

On Wed, 2018-01-10 at 15:49 -0500, Justin Cantrell via samba wrote:

> Solved! That was painful.
> First, Samba 3.6.23-45el6 on CentOS6 doesn't start nmbd when samba
> starts. Those are different services now.
> Make sure that's enabled and stars.
> Also, add to the smb.conf
>      lanman auth = yes
>      client lanman auth = yes
>      client ntlmv2 auth = no    ;client lanman auth son't work without
> this. not sure why.
>
> Restart samba and you must use smbpasswd -a to the account again or it
> won't accept the password.
>
> That was convoluted, but I hope it helps someone (ie: future me when I
> break this again).

Ahh, yes.  This is because we don't want to store the LM hash (very
weak) if we don't need to.