Windows 10 and Java Applications on a samba share

Windows 10 and Java Applications on a samba share

Samba - General mailing list
Hello,

our company has problems with opening java applications from a samba-share
from all Windows 10 Clients. After opening any java-application, which is
located on a samba share (tested with version 4.4 and 4.6) and keep the
application open for some hours, the application works not correctly
anymore. Only some functions react. This happens with every
java-application we tested so far. Does anyone have this problem too or
does anyone have any suggestions what this could be?
I am looking forward to get some replies.

Regards
Nils Wieseloh

Nils Wieseloh
Rechenzentrum Verden GmbH
Heinrich-Schröder-Weg 1, 27283 Verden (Germany)
Tel.  +49 (0)4231-955 349;  Fax. +49 (0)4231- 955 333
www.vit.de
Amtsgericht Walsrode HRB Nr. 120138
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Reinhard Reents
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Anton Fortwengel

Re: Windows 10 and Java Applications on a samba share

Samba - General mailing list
A few questions:
What Java version? There may be classloader behavior interactions.
Is this limited to Windows 10, or can you see it in 8/8.1?
How is the Java application packaged? Is it everything-in-a-single-JAR (which incidentally makes java 8 bog down) or are there multiple JARs?
Is there any pattern to which functions do, and do not work?
How does loading off a remote pure-Windows share work?

Brian

Antwort: Re: Windows 10 and Java Applications on a samba share

Samba - General mailing list
Hi Brian,

thanks fpr the quick response.

- The tested Java versions are the 8.131 and the 8.141 JRE.
- We only have one Windows 8.1 Admin Client in our environment, I haven´t
tested Windows 8.1 so far. But Windows 7 works fine. I can test WIndows
8.1 as well and send you the information next week.
- The Java package is the normal jre-exe file from oracle.
- The functions that work seem to be reporting functions. There is a
message-protocol-windows in a software named automic which is still
working. But navigating through the software does not work anymore.
- If I start the software from different Windows shares (2003 R2, 2008 R2
and 2012 R2) everything works perfect.

I hope these are helpful information so far.

Nils

Von:    Brian Cowan via samba <[hidden email]>
An:     "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>,
Datum:  27.07.2017 17:14
Betreff:        Re: [Samba] Windows 10 and Java Applications on a samba
share
Gesendet von:   "samba" <[hidden email]>

[...]

intended for the named recipient(s) only.
E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted,
lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in
transmission. The e mail and its contents
(with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability
on the originator or HCL or its affiliates.
Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the
author and may not necessarily reflect the
views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction,
dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior
written consent of authorized representative of
HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error
please delete it and notify the sender immediately.
Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses
and other defects.

Antwort: Re: Windows 10 and Java Applications on a samba share

Hi Brian,

one more information.
This behaviour also happens on a WIndows 2012 R2 Server System.