Windows 10 and Java Applications on a samba share

Windows 10 and Java Applications on a samba share

Samba - General mailing list
Hello,

our company has problems with opening java applications from a samba-share
from all Windows 10 Clients. After opening any java-application, which is
located on a samba share (tested with version 4.4 and 4.6) and keep the
application open for some hours, the application works not correctly
anymore. Only some functions react. This happens with every
java-application we tested so far. Does anyone have this problem too or
does anyone have any suggestions what this could be?
I am looking forward to get some replies.

Regards
Nils Wieseloh

Nils Wieseloh
Rechenzentrum Verden GmbH
Heinrich-Schröder-Weg 1, 27283 Verden (Germany)
Tel.  +49 (0)4231-955 349;  Fax. +49 (0)4231- 955 333
www.vit.de
Amtsgericht Walsrode HRB Nr. 120138
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Reinhard Reents
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Anton Fortwengel

Re: Windows 10 and Java Applications on a samba share

Samba - General mailing list
A few questions:
What Java version? There may be classloader behavior interactions.
Is this limited to Windows 10, or can you see it in 8/8.1?
How is the Java application packaged? Is it everything-in-a-single-JAR (which incidentally makes java 8 bog down) or are there multiple JARs?
Is there any pattern to which functions do, and do not work?
How does loading off a remote pure-Windows share work?

Brian

Antwort: Re: Windows 10 and Java Applications on a samba share

Samba - General mailing list
Hi Brian,

thanks fpr the quick response.

- The tested Java versions are the 8.131 and the 8.141 JRE.
- We only have one Windows 8.1 Admin Client in our environment, I haven´t
tested Windows 8.1 so far. But Windows 7 works fine. I can test WIndows
8.1 as well and send you the information next week.
- The Java package is the normal jre-exe file from oracle.
- The functions that work seem to be reporting functions. There is a
message-protocol-windows in a software named automic which is still
working. But navigating through the software does not work anymore.
- If I start the software from different Windows shares (2003 R2, 2008 R2
and 2012 R2) everything works perfect.

I hope these are helpful information so far.

Nils

Von:    Brian Cowan via samba <[hidden email]>
An:     "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>,
Datum:  27.07.2017 17:14
Betreff:        Re: [Samba] Windows 10 and Java Applications on a samba
share
Gesendet von:   "samba" <[hidden email]>

[...]

intended for the named recipient(s) only.
E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted,
lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in
transmission. The e mail and its contents
(with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability
on the originator or HCL or its affiliates.
Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the
author and may not necessarily reflect the
views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction,
dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior
written consent of authorized representative of
HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error
please delete it and notify the sender immediately.
Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses
and other defects.

Antwort: Re: Windows 10 and Java Applications on a samba share

Hi Brian,

one more information.
This behaviour also happens on a WIndows 2012 R2 Server System.

Nils

Nils Wieseloh
Rechenzentrum Verden GmbH
Heinrich-Schröder-Weg 1, 27283 Verden (Germany)
Tel.  +49 (0)4231-955 349;  Fax. +49 (0)4231- 955 333
www.vit.de
Amtsgericht Walsrode HRB Nr. 120138
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Reinhard Reents
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Anton Fortwengel

Antwort: Antwort: Re: Windows 10 and Java Applications on a samba share

Samba - General mailing list
Hello everyone,

so no one has any idea what causes this problem? :-(

Nils

Von:    Nils Wieseloh via samba <[hidden email]>
An:     Brian Cowan <[hidden email]>,
Kopie:  "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>, samba
<[hidden email]>
Datum:  28.07.2017 08:44
Betreff:        [Samba] Antwort: Re: Windows 10 and Java Applications on a
samba share
Gesendet von:   "samba" <[hidden email]>

Hi Brian,

one more information.
This behaviour also happens on a WIndows 2012 R2 Server System.

Nils

Nils Wieseloh
Rechenzentrum Verden GmbH
Heinrich-Schröder-Weg 1, 27283 Verden (Germany)
Tel.  +49 (0)4231-955 349;  Fax. +49 (0)4231- 955 333
www.vit.de
Amtsgericht Walsrode HRB Nr. 120138
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Reinhard Reents
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Anton Fortwengel

Re: Antwort: Antwort: Re: Windows 10 and Java Applications on a samba share

Samba - General mailing list
Hai,

Dit you set :
acl allow execute always = yes

Greetz,

Louis

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 09:42:48 +0200
Nils Wieseloh via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> so no one has any idea what causes this problem? :-(
>
> Nils

I think you would have had a reply by now if anybody knew how to fix
your problem :-(

I am not entirely sure that this is a Samba problem anyway, you posted:

This behaviour also happens on a WIndows 2012 R2 Server System.

So if it happens on Samba AND Windows, you could be looking at it from
the wrong end, it could be a windows client problem.

Personally, I think anybody who runs a java application in a long
running way, is one brick short of a full load ;-)

I used to work at a place that used java in a parts look up system,
after every windows update that included java, I had to go around and
back out the java update because it broke the parts look up system.

Antwort: Re: Antwort: Antwort: Re: Windows 10 and Java Applications on a samba share

I did not set

Von:    "L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <[hidden email]>
An:     [hidden email] <[hidden email]>,
Datum:  08.09.2017 10:13
Betreff:        Re: [Samba] Antwort: Antwort: Re: Windows 10 and Java
Applications on a samba share
Gesendet von:   "samba" <[hidden email]>

Hai,

Dit you set :
acl allow execute always = yes

Greetz,

Louis

Hi Rowland,

This behaviour also happens on a WIndows 2012 R2 Server System.
=> I wanted to say, that this behaviour happens, if I open the java
program on the samba share with a WIndows 2012 R2 system.

Nils

Von:    Rowland Penny via samba <[hidden email]>
An:     [hidden email],
Datum:  08.09.2017 10:20
Applications on a samba share
Gesendet von:   "samba" <[hidden email]>

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 09:42:48 +0200
Nils Wieseloh via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> so no one has any idea what causes this problem? :-(
>
> Nils

I think you would have had a reply by now if anybody knew how to fix
your problem :-(

I am not entirely sure that this is a Samba problem anyway, you posted:

This behaviour also happens on a WIndows 2012 R2 Server System.

So if it happens on Samba AND Windows, you could be looking at it from
the wrong end, it could be a windows client problem.

Personally, I think anybody who runs a java application in a long
running way, is one brick short of a full load ;-)

I used to work at a place that used java in a parts look up system,
after every windows update that included java, I had to go around and
back out the java update because it broke the parts look up system.

Re: Antwort: Re: Windows 10 and Java Applications on a samba share

Hi Nils,

> one more information.
> This behaviour also happens on a WIndows 2012 R2 Server System.

if this behavior happens also on win2012r2, then the problem may be
linked to the SMB version of the protocol.

Win7 support SMB version up to SMBv2.x, as does win2k8r2. On the other
hand, Win10, Samba4 and Win2k12 supports SMB up to SMBv3.x. And protocol
version is negotiated during connection to the max supported version.

You can check the version of the protocol used by the workstation with
the "smbstatus" command. Could you try adding the following parameter to
smb.conf and restart samba to see if it improves stuff

server max protocol = SMB2

By the way, IMHO running software from remote shares is a good way to
look for problems. I would advise you to use deployment software to
install your java program directly on workstation. You can take a look
at www.wapt.fr, it is very easy to set up an internal repo and repackage
business software (disclaimer: I work part time on that project). Note :
there is a WIP German translation in WAPT, but you'd better use the
English one for now :-)

Cheers,

Denis

> Nils

> Nils Wieseloh
> Rechenzentrum Verden GmbH
> Heinrich-Schröder-Weg 1, 27283 Verden (Germany)
> Tel.  +49 (0)4231-955 349;  Fax. +49 (0)4231- 955 333
> www.vit.de
> Amtsgericht Walsrode HRB Nr. 120138
> Geschäftsführer: Dr. Reinhard Reents
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Anton Fortwengel
>

> Von:    Brian Cowan via samba <[hidden email]>
> An:     "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>,
> Datum:  27.07.2017 17:14
> Betreff:        Re: [Samba] Windows 10 and Java Applications on a samba
> share
> Gesendet von:   "samba" <[hidden email]>
>

> A few questions:
> What Java version? There may be classloader behavior interactions.
> Is this limited to Windows 10, or can you see it in 8/8.1?
> How is the Java application packaged? Is it everything-in-a-single-JAR
> (which incidentally makes java 8 bog down) or are there multiple JARs?
> Is there any pattern to which functions do, and do not work?
> How does loading off a remote pure-Windows share work?
>
> Brian

Denis Cardon
Tranquil IT Systems
Les Espaces Jules Verne, bâtiment A