Winbindd crashed on DC

Samba - General mailing list
Hello all,
I configured DHCPD on two of my DCs to update the DNS records according to the wiki (https://w
iki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_DHCP_to_update_DNS_records_with_BIND9). This works now as
expected (see my other post).
The script used in the wiki (dhcp-dyndns.sh) uses "wbinfo -u | grep dhcpduser" to check if the
user exists. This worked ok until I reduced the lease time from several days to 3h for
testing. Then after 1-2 days the winbindd component of the DC crashed or something (didn't
check what happened, nothing in the logs at normal loglevel). This could be seen in that no
DNS updates were made as the script fails because wbinfo produces no output. A restart of the
samba-ad restored functionality. This happend of both the DCs running the DHCP server but not
on the other two.
Now I have removed the check for the user (no more wbinfo is called) as I know it is there.
And no crashes of winbindd since then.
Reducing the lease time to 3 hours is causing dns updates every 1-2 minutes and in this case
also wbinfo -u calls.
Should this be investigated? Or is this a rare use case?

Just thought it might help somebody else.

Regards

Christian

--
Dr. Christian Naumer
Research Scientist

B.R.A.I.N Aktiengesellschaft
Darmstaedter Str. 34-36, D-64673 Zwingenberg
e-mail [hidden email], homepage www.brain-biotech.de
fon +49-6251-9331-30  /   fax +49-6251-9331-11

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Zwingenberg/Bergstrasse
Registergericht AG Darmstadt, HRB 24758
Vorstand: Dr. Juergen Eck (Vorsitzender), Frank Goebel
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Ludger Mueller

Re: Winbindd crashed on DC

Samba - General mailing list
On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 14:52:35 +0200
Christian Naumer via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I configured DHCPD on two of my DCs to update the DNS records
> according to the wiki (https://w
> iki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_DHCP_to_update_DNS_records_with_BIND9).
> This works now as expected (see my other post). The script used in
> the wiki (dhcp-dyndns.sh) uses "wbinfo -u | grep dhcpduser" to check
> if the user exists. This worked ok until I reduced the lease time
> from several days to 3h for testing. Then after 1-2 days the winbindd
> component of the DC crashed or something (didn't check what happened,
> nothing in the logs at normal loglevel). This could be seen in that
> no DNS updates were made as the script fails because wbinfo produces
> no output. A restart of the samba-ad restored functionality. This
> happend of both the DCs running the DHCP server but not on the other
> two. Now I have removed the check for the user (no more wbinfo is
> called) as I know it is there. And no crashes of winbindd since then.
> Reducing the lease time to 3 hours is causing dns updates every 1-2
> minutes and in this case also wbinfo -u calls. Should this be
> investigated? Or is this a rare use case?
>
> Just thought it might help somebody else.
>

> Regards
>

> Christian

If you followed the wiki, you should have this in /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf:

max-lease-time 1800; # 30 minutes

I don't get the crashes.

I think you should post your dhcpd conf files.

Re: Winbindd crashed on DC

Samba - General mailing list
Hello Rowland,
the file is attached. However, without the call to "wbinfo -u" there is no problem. I thought
it might be the number of times the script ist run. ~2000 times a day. Not much I would think.

regards

Am Freitag, den 14.07.2017, 14:39 +0100 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:

> On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 14:52:35 +0200
> Christian Naumer via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> > I configured DHCPD on two of my DCs to update the DNS records
> > according to the wiki (https://w
> > iki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_DHCP_to_update_DNS_records_with_BIND9).
> > This works now as expected (see my other post). The script used in
> > the wiki (dhcp-dyndns.sh) uses "wbinfo -u | grep dhcpduser" to check
> > if the user exists. This worked ok until I reduced the lease time
> > from several days to 3h for testing. Then after 1-2 days the winbindd
> > component of the DC crashed or something (didn't check what happened,
> > nothing in the logs at normal loglevel). This could be seen in that
> > no DNS updates were made as the script fails because wbinfo produces
> > no output. A restart of the samba-ad restored functionality. This
> > happend of both the DCs running the DHCP server but not on the other
> > two. Now I have removed the check for the user (no more wbinfo is
> > called) as I know it is there. And no crashes of winbindd since then.
> > Reducing the lease time to 3 hours is causing dns updates every 1-2
> > minutes and in this case also wbinfo -u calls. Should this be
> > investigated? Or is this a rare use case?
> >
> > Just thought it might help somebody else.
> >

> > Regards
> >

> > Christian
> >

> If you followed the wiki, you should have this in /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf:
>
> max-lease-time 1800; # 30 minutes
>
> I don't get the crashes.
>
> I think you should post your dhcpd conf files.

Dr. Christian Naumer
Research Scientist
Plattform-Koordinator Bioprozesstechnik

B.R.A.I.N Aktiengesellschaft
Darmstaedter Str. 34-36, D-64673 Zwingenberg
e-mail [hidden email], homepage www.brain-biotech.de
fon +49-6251-9331-30  /   fax +49-6251-9331-11

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Zwingenberg/Bergstrasse
Registergericht AG Darmstadt, HRB 24758
Vorstand: Dr. Juergen Eck (Vorsitzender), Frank Goebel
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Ludger Mueller

dhcpd.conf (3K) Download Attachment