Where are Heimdal Kerberos library and headers located?

Where are Heimdal Kerberos library and headers located?

Samba - General mailing list
I'm trying to compile sasl from source on my Samba4 AD/DC. It needs the location of the
kerberos library and headers. Where are these located, or at least, what is the library name? I
can't seem to locate them via find using any of the search terms I can think of.

I'm running Samba 4.4.16

Thanks, --Mark

Re: Where are Heimdal Kerberos library and headers located?

Samba - General mailing list
On Tue, 2017-12-12 at 11:31 -0500, Mark Foley via samba wrote:
> I'm trying to compile sasl from source on my Samba4 AD/DC. It needs the location of the
> kerberos library and headers. Where are these located, or at least, what is the library name? I
> can't seem to locate them via find using any of the search terms I can think of.
>
> I'm running Samba 4.4.16
>
> Thanks, --Mark

The internal Heimdal is not for use by the likes of SASL.  Install
krb5-dev, heimdal-dev or similar on your system to compile SASL or
other Kerberos-enabled software against the system Kerberos library.

I hope this helps,

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 06:59:17 +1300 Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> On Tue, 2017-12-12 at 11:31 -0500, Mark Foley via samba wrote:
> > I'm trying to compile sasl from source on my Samba4 AD/DC. It needs the location of the
> > kerberos library and headers. Where are these located, or at least, what is the library name? I
> > can't seem to locate them via find using any of the search terms I can think of.
> >
> > I'm running Samba 4.4.16
> >
> > Thanks, --Mark
>
> The internal Heimdal is not for use by the likes of SASL.  Install
> krb5-dev, heimdal-dev or similar on your system to compile SASL or
> other Kerberos-enabled software against the system Kerberos library.
>
> I hope this helps,

Yes, it helps, thanks.

Perhaps you can clarify a huge point of confusion ... I can do klist, etc. on the AD which
tells me that kerberos is accessible from other apps, presumably using the kerberos in Samba.
Also, Dovecot uses GSSAPI authentication which, as I understand it, uses Kerberos.  So, why do
these things work, apparently with Samba's kerberos, but SASL and other such things do not?

If I install heimdal-dev or similar, will it interfer with Samaba?