User uidNumber questions

Question1: An uidNumber can be given to a new user by "samba-tool user add <
user.name> --uid-number=<number>". But is there a way to make samba
autogenerate it without me having to give a specific number?

Question2: The output of wbinfo --user-info <user.name>
DOMAIN\user.name:*:3000015:100:Full Name:/home/DOMAIN/user.name:/bin/false
From what i understood the uidNumber should take the 3rd value from the
above output (3000015). Is this value hold into any attribute
like sAMAccountName, displayName, mail, etc.?

PS: My samba version is 4.3.11-Ubuntu

Re: User uidNumber questions

Samba - General mailing list
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 17:55:35 +0300
Mitocariu Emilian via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Question1: An uidNumber can be given to a new user by "samba-tool
> user add < user.name> --uid-number=<number>". But is there a way to
> make samba autogenerate it without me having to give a specific
> number?

No, samba-tool cannot do this, but you can use ADUC, or write your own
script around samba-tool.

> Question2: The output of wbinfo --user-info <user.name>
> DOMAIN\user.name:*:3000015:100:Full
> Name:/home/DOMAIN/user.name:/bin/false From what i understood the
> uidNumber should take the 3rd value from the above output (3000015).
> Is this value hold into any attribute like sAMAccountName,
> displayName, mail, etc.?

The numbers in the '3000000' range are not uidNumbers, they are
xidNumbers (to be found in idmap.ldb) and are only used on a DC.