Quantcast

There is problem of rsync with options --hard-links --inplace.

There is problem of rsync with options --hard-links --inplace.

Viper
There is the problem which I discribed here https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=12820.
rsync does not break hard-link into destination if hard-link has be broken in source with option inplace.
The problem remains in the latest version of rsync?

Re: There is problem of rsync with options --hard-links --inplace.

Matthias Schniedermeyer
On 15.02.2017 00:07, Viper wrote:
> There is the problem which I discribed here
> https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=12820.
> rsync does not break hard-link into destination if hard-link has be broken
> in source with option inplace.
> The problem remains in the latest version of rsync?

This is documented in the man-page.

- snip -
      --inplace
              This option changes how rsync transfers a file when its
data needs to be updated: instead of the default method of creating a
new copy of the file and moving it into place when it is complete, rsync
instead writes the updated data directly to the destination file.

              This has several effects:

              o      Hard  links  are  not  broken.   This means the new
data will be visible through other hard links to the destination file.
Moreover, attempts to copy differing source files onto a multiply-linked
destination file will result in a "tug of war" with the destination data
changing back and forth.

- snip -

"--inplace" is an option where you have to know what you are doing,
otherwise it can go horribly wrong.

Personally i rarely use "--inplace" and in the cases where i do use it i
skip it periodicaly for exactly the reason to fix (eventual)
hardlink-errors.
For e.g. in my daily backup-script i skip the option on fridays, this
way hardlink errors will get fixed within a week.

If correct hardlinks are important to you, the best you can do is
execute rsync twice. Once with --inplace and after that again without
--inplace. If there are no changes in the meantime, the most the second
rsync will do is fix hardlink errors.

--

Matthias