Synch group with different gid

Fabian Cenedese
Hello

I have a problem while synching between two NAS boxes with Linux.
First NAS: group staff=50 (3.0.3pre1)
Second NAS: groups ftp=50, staff=500 (rsync 3.1.1)

I synched with -rptgo, without --numeric-ids. The expected result
was that the items on the second group would be staff as well
even with a different gid. However it looks like the 50 was taken
literally and now all staff items are ftp items.

1. How could this happen? Is this expected, did I do something wrong?
2. How can I now synch the ownership correctly?

I tried with -a, with --super, but so far the ownership is not synched.

Thanks

bye  Fabi

Re: Synch group with different gid

Fabian Cenedese
At 08:30 11.05.2016, Fabian Cenedese wrote:

>Hello
>
>I have a problem while synching between two NAS boxes with Linux.
>First NAS: group staff=50 (3.0.3pre1)
>Second NAS: groups ftp=50, staff=500 (rsync 3.1.1)
>
>I synched with -rptgo, without --numeric-ids. The expected result
>was that the items on the second group would be staff as well
>even with a different gid. However it looks like the 50 was taken
>literally and now all staff items are ftp items.
>
>1. How could this happen? Is this expected, did I do something wrong?
>2. How can I now synch the ownership correctly?
>
>I tried with -a, with --super, but so far the ownership is not synched.

I can now synch the group by using --groupmap=50:staff. Just doing
--groupmap=ftp:staff or leaving it off doesn't change anything on the
receiving side. However then I don't understand the default behaviour.
Shouldn't that already have happened in the normal use case without
--numeric-ids and --groupmap?

Thanks

bye  Fabi

Re: Synch group with different gid

Kevin Korb
The only times it should use the group number instead of the name is if
--numeric-ids is used or there is no group with the same name at the
target end (possibly because /etc/group can't be read).

Unless there was a bug in that old pre-release version that has been fixed.

--
        Kevin Korb Phone:    (407) 252-6853