Static IP to MAC in samba 4 ADDC

we are a small company with about 20 workstations and several other
devices that need internet access. We are still on PDC mode as we are
afraid that our IP:MAC mapping will get lost after switching to samba 4.

At present we use ISC DHCPD (+bind 9 for DNS) to make this mapping. We
have a 10.0.x.y/16 net where the clients are mapped to special 10.0.x
nets that use different filtering, eg. 10.0.254 is for guests (get
8.8.8.8 as DNS instead internal bind as trafic to internal net is filtered).

Is it possible to keep such setup when in ADDC mode?

Any best practise advise for such situation?

Any advise what I want to read?

TIA

--
BR
Maik

Re: Static IP to MAC in samba 4 ADDC

Samba - General mailing list
Hi Maik,

Am 31.07.2017 um 15:12 schrieb Maik Holtkamp via samba:
> we are a small company with about 20 workstations and several other
> devices that need internet access. We are still on PDC mode as we are
> afraid that our IP:MAC mapping will get lost after switching to samba 4.

You should use the term "Samba AD" instead of "Samba 4" to avoid
confusion. You can run Samba 4.x also as an NT4 PDC/BDC.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba#Misconceptions_About_Samba_4

> At present we use ISC DHCPD (+bind 9 for DNS) to make this mapping. We
> have a 10.0.x.y/16 net where the clients are mapped to special 10.0.x
> nets that use different filtering, eg. 10.0.254 is for guests (get
> 8.8.8.8 as DNS instead internal bind as trafic to internal net is
> filtered).
>
> Is it possible to keep such setup when in ADDC mode?

Sure. Samba does not assign IP addresses. Samba provides the AD and
optionally DNS.

You can continue running ISC dhcpd for that.

Regards,
Marc