Share mounts in SMBv1 mode, but fails weirdly in SMBv2 mode

Share mounts in SMBv1 mode, but fails weirdly in SMBv2 mode

We're slowly deprecating SMBv1 support at work, so I'm trying to mount
our Samba network shares using SMBv2.0. This should in principle be
supported by the server, and seems works well enough for the Windows
clients. But it fails for me with some errors which I do not understand.

Can you help me figure out what's going on? Here's my system
configuration and a quick summary of what I have so far:

hadrien@linux-2ak3:~> uname -a
Linux linux-2ak3 4.13.5-1-default #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Oct 5 18:28:26 UTC
2017 (3fd9659) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
hadrien@linux-2ak3:~> /sbin/mount.cifs --version
mount.cifs version: 6.5
hadrien@linux-2ak3:~> sudo mount -v -t cifs //nfsserv22/expsi test -o
credentials=<path to credentials file>,vers=2.0
domain=LAL
mount.cifs kernel mount options:
ip=134.158.91.155,unc=\\nfsserv22\expsi,vers=2.0,user=grasland,,domain=LAL,pass=********
mount error(95): Operation not supported
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
hadrien@linux-2ak3:~> dmesg | tail
[...]
[13424.783242] CIFS VFS: ioctl error in smb2_get_dfs_refer rc=-2
[13424.789504] CIFS VFS: cifs_read_super: get root inode failed

Replacing "vers=2.0" with "vers=1.0" in the mount command line makes
this work, so I'm quite confident that my general configuration is
correct and the problem is somehow specific to the SMBv2 protocol.
However, I'm a Samba newbie and would welcome any tips on how to extract
more information from this machine/server in order to figure out why
SMBv2 specifically is failing.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Hadrien Grasland

Re: Share mounts in SMBv1 mode, but fails weirdly in SMBv2 mode

Samba - General mailing list
On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 03:58:58PM +0200, Hadrien Grasland via samba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're slowly deprecating SMBv1 support at work, so I'm trying to
> mount our Samba network shares using SMBv2.0. This should in
> principle be supported by the server, and seems works well enough
> for the Windows clients. But it fails for me with some errors which
> I do not understand.
>
> Can you help me figure out what's going on? Here's my system
> configuration and a quick summary of what I have so far:
>
> hadrien@linux-2ak3:~> uname -a
> Linux linux-2ak3 4.13.5-1-default #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Oct 5 18:28:26
> UTC 2017 (3fd9659) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> hadrien@linux-2ak3:~> /sbin/mount.cifs --version
> mount.cifs version: 6.5
> hadrien@linux-2ak3:~> sudo mount -v -t cifs //nfsserv22/expsi test
> -o credentials=<path to credentials file>,vers=2.0
> domain=LAL
> mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=134.158.91.155,unc=\\nfsserv22\expsi,vers=2.0,user=grasland,,domain=LAL,pass=********
> mount error(95): Operation not supported
> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
> hadrien@linux-2ak3:~> dmesg | tail
> [...]
> [13424.783242] CIFS VFS: ioctl error in smb2_get_dfs_refer rc=-2
> [13424.789504] CIFS VFS: cifs_read_super: get root inode failed
>
> Replacing "vers=2.0" with "vers=1.0" in the mount command line makes
> this work, so I'm quite confident that my general configuration is
> correct and the problem is somehow specific to the SMBv2 protocol.
> However, I'm a Samba newbie and would welcome any tips on how to
> extract more information from this machine/server in order to figure
> out why SMBv2 specifically is failing.

Can you get a wireshark trace on port 445 between client and
server ? That would help.

Le 13/10/2017 à 01:46, Jeremy Allison via samba a écrit :

> On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 03:58:58PM +0200, Hadrien Grasland via samba wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We're slowly deprecating SMBv1 support at work, so I'm trying to
>> mount our Samba network shares using SMBv2.0. This should in
>> principle be supported by the server, and seems works well enough
>> for the Windows clients. But it fails for me with some errors which
>> I do not understand.
>>
>> Can you help me figure out what's going on? Here's my system
>> configuration and a quick summary of what I have so far:
>>
>> hadrien@linux-2ak3:~> uname -a
>> Linux linux-2ak3 4.13.5-1-default #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Oct 5 18:28:26
>> UTC 2017 (3fd9659) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>> hadrien@linux-2ak3:~> /sbin/mount.cifs --version
>> mount.cifs version: 6.5
>> hadrien@linux-2ak3:~> sudo mount -v -t cifs //nfsserv22/expsi test
>> -o credentials=<path to credentials file>,vers=2.0
>> domain=LAL
>> mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=134.158.91.155,unc=\\nfsserv22\expsi,vers=2.0,user=grasland,,domain=LAL,pass=********
>> mount error(95): Operation not supported
>> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
>> hadrien@linux-2ak3:~> dmesg | tail
>> [...]
>> [13424.783242] CIFS VFS: ioctl error in smb2_get_dfs_refer rc=-2
>> [13424.789504] CIFS VFS: cifs_read_super: get root inode failed
>>
>> Replacing "vers=2.0" with "vers=1.0" in the mount command line makes
>> this work, so I'm quite confident that my general configuration is
>> correct and the problem is somehow specific to the SMBv2 protocol.
>> However, I'm a Samba newbie and would welcome any tips on how to
>> extract more information from this machine/server in order to figure
>> out why SMBv2 specifically is failing.
> Can you get a wireshark trace on port 445 between client and
> server ? That would help.

There you go. I attached it to the e-mail, not sure if that's the proper
way to send (small) files around on this list, if not please tell me :)

Re: Share mounts in SMBv1 mode, but fails weirdly in SMBv2 mode

Samba - General mailing list
On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 14:00:34 +0200
Hadrien Grasland via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 13/10/2017 à 01:46, Jeremy Allison via samba a écrit :
> > On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 03:58:58PM +0200, Hadrien Grasland via
> > samba wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> We're slowly deprecating SMBv1 support at work, so I'm trying to
> >> mount our Samba network shares using SMBv2.0. This should in
> >> principle be supported by the server, and seems works well enough
> >> for the Windows clients. But it fails for me with some errors which
> >> I do not understand.
> >>
> >> Can you help me figure out what's going on? Here's my system
> >> configuration and a quick summary of what I have so far:
> >>
> >> hadrien@linux-2ak3:~> uname -a
> >> Linux linux-2ak3 4.13.5-1-default #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Oct 5 18:28:26
> >> UTC 2017 (3fd9659) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >> hadrien@linux-2ak3:~> /sbin/mount.cifs --version
> >> mount.cifs version: 6.5
> >> hadrien@linux-2ak3:~> sudo mount -v -t cifs //nfsserv22/expsi test
> >> -o credentials=<path to credentials file>,vers=2.0
> >> domain=LAL
> >> mount.cifs kernel mount options:
> >> ip=134.158.91.155,unc=\\nfsserv22\expsi,vers=2.0,user=grasland,,domain=LAL,pass=********
> >> mount error(95): Operation not supported Refer to the
> >> mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
> >> hadrien@linux-2ak3:~> dmesg | tail [...]
> >> [13424.783242] CIFS VFS: ioctl error in smb2_get_dfs_refer rc=-2
> >> [13424.789504] CIFS VFS: cifs_read_super: get root inode failed
> >>
> >> Replacing "vers=2.0" with "vers=1.0" in the mount command line
> >> makes this work, so I'm quite confident that my general
> >> configuration is correct and the problem is somehow specific to
> >> the SMBv2 protocol. However, I'm a Samba newbie and would welcome
> >> any tips on how to extract more information from this
> >> machine/server in order to figure out why SMBv2 specifically is
> >> failing.
> > Can you get a wireshark trace on port 445 between client and
> > server ? That would help.
> >
> There you go. I attached it to the e-mail, not sure if that's the
> proper way to send (small) files around on this list, if not please
> tell me :)

OK, no it isn't ;-)

This list strips off any attachments, so either put it into the post or
post it somewhere and provide a link to it.

Le 13/10/2017 à 14:00, Hadrien Grasland via samba a écrit :

> Le 13/10/2017 à 01:46, Jeremy Allison via samba a écrit :
>> On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 03:58:58PM +0200, Hadrien Grasland via samba
>> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We're slowly deprecating SMBv1 support at work, so I'm trying to
>>> mount our Samba network shares using SMBv2.0. This should in
>>> principle be supported by the server, and seems works well enough
>>> for the Windows clients. But it fails for me with some errors which
>>> I do not understand.
>>>
>>> Can you help me figure out what's going on? Here's my system
>>> configuration and a quick summary of what I have so far:
>>>
>>> hadrien@linux-2ak3:~> uname -a
>>> Linux linux-2ak3 4.13.5-1-default #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Oct 5 18:28:26
>>> UTC 2017 (3fd9659) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>> hadrien@linux-2ak3:~> /sbin/mount.cifs --version
>>> mount.cifs version: 6.5
>>> hadrien@linux-2ak3:~> sudo mount -v -t cifs //nfsserv22/expsi test
>>> -o credentials=<path to credentials file>,vers=2.0
>>> domain=LAL
>>> mount.cifs kernel mount options:
>>> ip=134.158.91.155,unc=\\nfsserv22\expsi,vers=2.0,user=grasland,,domain=LAL,pass=********
>>> mount error(95): Operation not supported
>>> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
>>> hadrien@linux-2ak3:~> dmesg | tail
>>> [...]
>>> [13424.783242] CIFS VFS: ioctl error in smb2_get_dfs_refer rc=-2
>>> [13424.789504] CIFS VFS: cifs_read_super: get root inode failed
>>>
>>> Replacing "vers=2.0" with "vers=1.0" in the mount command line makes
>>> this work, so I'm quite confident that my general configuration is
>>> correct and the problem is somehow specific to the SMBv2 protocol.
>>> However, I'm a Samba newbie and would welcome any tips on how to
>>> extract more information from this machine/server in order to figure
>>> out why SMBv2 specifically is failing.
>> Can you get a wireshark trace on port 445 between client and
>> server ? That would help.
>>
> There you go. I attached it to the e-mail, not sure if that's the
> proper way to send (small) files around on this list, if not please
> tell me :)
Okay, it seems the file did not get through, answering my question I
guess. Here's an online upload: https://uploadfiles.io/8liej .

Re: Share mounts in SMBv1 mode, but fails weirdly in SMBv2 mode

This might be a kernel thing. 4.13.5-1 .. ? Archlinux?

There where recently e-mail about this on technical.
So maybe its not implemented parts in samba or mount commands (yet)

And i point to this : smb2_get_dfs_refer

To give an idea..
https://kernel.opensuse.org/cgit/kernel-source/diff/patches.fixes/0001-CIFS-implement-get_dfs_refer-for-SMB2.patch?id=98a4a0402b8b564b24414c3f2d6b0268f6843341

This italian site shows exact the same problem.
http://forum.html.it/forum/showthread/t-2959605.html

I suggest, lower you kernel to 4.9 somewhere around there.
See if that works, and then try vers=2.1

Greetz,

Louis

Hi Louis,

Thanks for your reply!

> This might be a kernel thing. 4.13.5-1 .. ? Archlinux?

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, actually.

At some point, I got tired of rebuilding the entire world all the time
because of the millenary tension between the wishes of stable distro
maintainers (who would rather not fix what isn't broken, and keep
packages as stable as possible) and those of my developer colleagues
(who would rather put hard requirements on GCC 7 or CMake 3.9 whenever
they can get away with it), and decided that I could live with the
occasional breakages of a rolling distro at work, as long as rolling
back a broken system was easy.

> There where recently e-mail about this on technical.
> So maybe its not implemented parts in samba or mount commands (yet)
I would welcome any clarification on this.

> And i point to this : smb2_get_dfs_refer
>
> To give an idea..
> https://kernel.opensuse.org/cgit/kernel-source/diff/patches.fixes/0001-CIFS-implement-get_dfs_refer-for-SMB2.patch?id=98a4a0402b8b564b24414c3f2d6b0268f6843341

I ended up on this kernel patch as well while googling the error,
however from a look at the code and the dmesg output, the error seemed
to originate from an underlying call to the SMB2_ioctl() function.
Juding from the short name and the long list of parameters, this
function seemed like a big piece of machinery on its own, so I decided
not to investigate it further without extra help. Which is why I came here.

> This italian site shows exact the same problem.
> http://forum.html.it/forum/showthread/t-2959605.html
>
> I suggest, lower you kernel to 4.9 somewhere around there.
> See if that works, and then try vers=2.1

Rolling back the kernel this far may be a bit difficult on Tumbleweed. I
never tried it, but the maintainers tend to be quite agressive at
removing old package versions from the repos. I guess that going for
older kernels is not true to their vision of the rolling release spirit :)

As for version 2.1, I have tried it already, but unfortunately the
server does not seem to support it (dmesg gives a "Dialect not supported
by server." error).

Note that I am not in an immediate hurry to get SMBv2 working. SMBv1
works for me today, and from discussion with the sysadmins, it will be a
long while before they disable it entirely. So I have time to
investigate this issue, file any needed bug report to the relevant
software projects, and would even help working on the fix myself if I
had even a remote idea of what's going on here. Sadly, my technical
background is more in scientific computing than distributed filesystems.

By the way, if you could tell me a bit more about the relationship
between the kernel CIFS support and Samba, it might help. I naively went
for the samba mailing list first as I got the impression that this is
the project where all Linux SMB protocol support is implemented first,
but perhaps I should take this to the kernel mailing list(s) instead ?

Thanks for the help,
Hadrien

> Greetz,
>
> Louis

Ah, wel at least that a better result, not what you want, but better.

> Note that I am not in an immediate hurry to get SMBv2 working. SMBv1
> works for me today, and from discussion with the sysadmins,
> it will be a
> long while before they disable it entirely. So I have time to
> investigate this issue, file any needed bug report to the relevant
> software projects, and would even help working on the fix myself if I
> had even a remote idea of what's going on here. Sadly, my technical
> background is more in scientific computing than distributed
> filesystems.
>
> By the way, if you could tell me a bit more about the relationship
> between the kernel CIFS support and Samba, it might help. I
> naively went
> for the samba mailing list first as I got the impression that this is
> the project where all Linux SMB protocol support is
> implemented first,
> but perhaps I should take this to the kernel mailing list(s) instead ?

Phoe.. Good question. It never hurst to ask them also.
I suggest, ask it on samba-technical, or wait a bit, often they look in the samba threah also.

> Thanks for the help,
> Hadrien
>

> > Greetz,
> >
> > Louis

Re: Share mounts in SMBv1 mode, but fails weirdly in SMBv2 mode

Samba - General mailing list
So, as a follow-up on this, I also took this matter to the linux-cifs
mailing list. After a bit of analysis, it turns out that...

 1. The Linux CIFS client was sending ill-formed QUERY_INFO packets to
    the server. There is a patch for this in the pipeline.
 2. There is also a bug in the server, which refuses to send all info
    about the root filesystem inode, in spite of knowing this info in
    principle. Considering that the bug is known and fixed upstream, and
    the problem is on our side (we cannot apply the server update for
    some unclear reason), it was decided not to work around it.

Thanks for your help in this investigation!
Hadrien Grasland

> [...]

Thank you for the feed back, very appriciated.