September 2017 CLUG Meeting

Samba - linux mailing list
Canberra Linux Users Group Meeting - September 2017

 Date:          28th September 2017 (Fourth Thursday of the month)

 Time:         18:00 - 18:55

 Abstract:     It's BeerSIG time!
               'What's BeerSIG?' I hear you ask! BeerSIG is a social
               gathering, and an opportunity to get together with
               like minded people and share a social pint.

 Location:     Wig and Pen, Llewellyn Hall, Canberra School of Music
               Look for the table with a stuffed toy penguin

Time:          19:00 - 21:00 (or when it finishes)

Title:       Red Hat Insights - Paul Wayper

               Red Hat Insights is basically a way of automating 'situation' detection
               on Linux computers.  'Situation' here is fairly broad - it can
               be anything from 'you have a package with a known vulnerability
               listening on an open port' to 'you have this hardware, which is
               incompatible with this setting in the software you're running'
               to 'it looks like you can get more performance out of your
               database if you set this setting here'.

               This would be a more technical talk, looking at how you write rules
               in Python for Insights, but I'm happy to spend a lot of time in Q&A
               covering what Insights is, what it isn't, how it can help and how it
               isn't going to put technical support people out of a job

               see https://lists.samba.org/archive/linux/2017-September/036422.html
               for background topics it's worthwhile studying first

 Venue:        Room N101
               Computer Science and Information Technology Building
               North Road
               The Australian National University

               See http://clug.org.au/ for more directions and a map

 Food/drink:   Pizza and soft drink/juice. Come hungry, and bring
               about $6 to cover the cost of your share if you
               want some.

October Meeting - 25th October 2017 (Fourth Thursday of the month)

Privacy with Linux - Bob Edwards & Associates.

Re: September 2017 CLUG Meeting

Samba - linux mailing list
No disrespect to Paul intended, but with this week's almost open sourcing
of Tower (awx), Insights has become Red Hat's flagship closed source
product.

Yay?

--
MC

On 23 Sep. 2017 8:01 pm, "Steve Walsh via linux" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Canberra Linux Users Group Meeting - September 2017
>
>  =================================================
>
>  Date:          28th September 2017 (Fourth Thursday of the month)
>
>  =================================================
>
>  Time:         18:00 - 18:55
>
>  Abstract:     It's BeerSIG time!
>                'What's BeerSIG?' I hear you ask! BeerSIG is a social
>                gathering, and an opportunity to get together with
>                like minded people and share a social pint.
>
>  Location:     Wig and Pen, Llewellyn Hall, Canberra School of Music
>                Look for the table with a stuffed toy penguin

> Time:          19:00 - 21:00 (or when it finishes)
>
> Title:         Red Hat Insights - Paul Wayper
>
>                Red Hat Insights is basically a way of automating
> 'situation' detection
>                on Linux computers.  'Situation' here is fairly broad - it
> can
>                be anything from 'you have a package with a known
> vulnerability
>                listening on an open port' to 'you have this hardware,
> which is
>                incompatible with this setting in the software you're
> running'
>                to 'it looks like you can get more performance out of your
>                database if you set this setting here'.
>
>                This would be a more technical talk, looking at how you
> write rules
>                in Python for Insights, but I'm happy to spend a lot of
> time in Q&A
>                covering what Insights is, what it isn't, how it can help
> and how it
>                isn't going to put technical support people out of a job
>
>                see https://lists.samba.org/archive/linux/2017-September/
> 036422.html
>                for background topics it's worthwhile studying first
>
>  Venue:        Room N101
>                Computer Science and Information Technology Building
>                North Road
>                The Australian National University
>
>                See http://clug.org.au/ for more directions and a map
>
>  Food/drink:   Pizza and soft drink/juice. Come hungry, and bring
>                about $6 to cover the cost of your share if you
>                want some.

> October Meeting - 25th October 2017 (Fourth Thursday of the month)
>
> Privacy with Linux - Bob Edwards & Associates.

Re: September 2017 CLUG Meeting

Samba - linux mailing list
G'day Mike:

> No disrespect to Paul intended, but with this week's almost open sourcing
> of Tower (awx), Insights has become Red Hat's flagship closed source
> product.

An intro to Red Hat would suit me.

--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/

On 23/09/17 20:43, Mike Carden via linux wrote:
> No disrespect to Paul intended, but with this week's almost open sourcing
> of Tower (awx), Insights has become Red Hat's flagship closed source
> product.
>
> Yay?

Heh :-)  Very glad it's a 'flagship product' to you Mike :-)

Insights core - the component that does the actual work of taking the files
and command outputs on your system, processing them, testing the rules against
them, and giving you results - is free open source source software licensed,
last time I checked, under the GPL.

Many other components - the web front end, the client, the demo rule set that
I'll be looking at next week, and more - are all open source.

You can see all these at:

https://github.com/RedHatInsights/

What _isn't_ open source is our rules.  Why?  Basically, because they
represent Red Hat's internal, corporate knowledge of solving problems.
They're like our knowledge base (which in part they are based on) - they
represent thousands of hours or more of Red Hat's collective experience in
solving problems for customers (and ourselves).

We're an open source company - we have a policy of 'default to open' for what
we do.  But we're also a commercial company competing against a wide variety
of others, and fundamentally our value is in the quality and expertise of our
services.  Giving that knowledge away isn't good business sense :-)

However, one thing I've been really pushing (both in the Insights group and to
anyone else who will listen) is that the FOSS community also has the unique
opportunity to build community-based libraries of rules.  The SaMBa team could
create a set of rules that were specifically for diagnosing and solving
SaMBa-related problems; the PostgreSQL team could make a repository for
supporting PostgreSQL; the CLUG could make a repository of rules that would
solve problems that its members found.  Insights allows you to use any number
of rule sets at the same time, so you can easily just check out and install a
rule set and use it.  This is kind of like Ansible Galaxy or Nagios Plugin
Exchange (although the actual method is quite different) - people can
contribute code that they find useful, and others can use it, improve it, and
share it back to the community.

You really don't need Red Hat to provide its own set of rules for that sharing
and collaboration to occur.

The demo rule set we provide serves three purposes:

1) To install and run to test that Insights and its rules are working.
2) To demonstrate the basics of how rules are written, so that you can learn
from them how to write rules of your own.
3) To demonstrate the structure of a rule repository so that you can create a
new one and work on it.

Anyway, that's a long explanation for, basically: yes, Red Hat is keeping its
corporate knowledge separate from the framework.  Enjoy the free stuff :-)

Hope this helps,

Paul

P.S. Once again, I am not an authoritative representative of Red Hat here; I'm
just a contributor who works for them and knows the basics of the position the
team is taking.

Re: September 2017 CLUG Meeting

Samba - linux mailing list
Thanks, Paul Wayper:

> However, one thing I've been really pushing (both in the Insights group and to
> anyone else who will listen) is that the FOSS community also has the unique
> opportunity to build community-based libraries of rules.

I recall facts and rules in PROLOG. What is the format/syntax here?
--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/

Re: September 2017 CLUG Meeting

Samba - linux mailing list
On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 9:17 AM, Paul Wayper via linux <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Heh :-)  Very glad it's a 'flagship product' to you Mike :-)

LOL - maybe I've spent too much time listening to Red Hat sales people. :)

Thanks for that long explanation Paul.

My (probably faulty) understanding was that the bit of Insights that does
the 'smarts' couldn't be set up on your own premises and that you had to
use Red Hat's closed source 'cloud' service to get it to work.

You appear to be suggesting that it's not the case, and as long as you
don't need to use Red Hat's proprietary 'rules', you can set up and run
your own Insights service in-house.

Anyway, perhaps I need to listen to a talk on Insights in order to gain
some... insights. :)

--
MC