Separate ISC-DHCP server updating BIND DNS

Separate ISC-DHCP server updating BIND DNS

Samba - General mailing list
I am attempting to set up a separate ISC-DHCP server to administer IP addresses for a new subnet and dynamically update the main BIND9 DNS server on DC1. I'm using the guide linked below but it appears to be for installing the DHCP server directly on the domain controller. Is there any documentation available for updating BIND9 from a completely separate machine with ISC-DHCP installed? It doesn't seem like copying over the DHCPuser keytab works (dns_tkey_negotiategss: TKEY is unacceptable).

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_DHCP_to_update_DNS_records_with_BIND9

Thanks,
Brandon

Re: Separate ISC-DHCP server updating BIND DNS

I haven't tested but it seems it should work with external DHCP server with
minor changes:
- in the script there are two "if" containing samba-tool commands, one to
create the dhcp user and one to create the keytab. I expect these actions
can be performed on DC and then use the keytab on separated server for
alreday created user.
- still in the script the nsupdate commands are forcing localhost to push
update (using server 127.0.0.1). Here you can try to remove that "server"
line, letting DNS find out where to send the update or force some DC's IP.