Quantcast

Samba4 Problem Rename

Samba - General mailing list
I've got a Problem using samba4 as PDS and Win7 Client.

I'm not able to rename a file in Windows Explorer. I can connect shares.
I can create, open and  write files but I cannot rename or move them. If
i try to i get a message "file xyz too big for target file system".

I googled a lot but I do not find any helpfull thread with this issue.
Is there anybody who can help me with this issue?

Regards
Bernhard

For more Information here's my setup:

smb.conf:

[global]
     workgroup = MYWORKGROUP
     realm = MYWORKGROUP.LOCAL
     netbios name = FILESERVER
     dns forwarder = 192.168.2.1
     server services = rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl,
winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate, dns, smb
     dcerpc endpoint servers = epmapper, wkssvc, rpcecho, samr,
netlogon, lsarpc, spoolss, drsuapi, dssetup, unixinfo, browser,
eventlog6, backupkey, dnsserver, winreg, srvsvc
     idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
     server signing = auto
     template shell = /bin/bash
     template homedir = /home/%U

[netlogon]
     path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/myworkgroup.local/scripts
     read only = No

[sysvol]
     path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
     read only = No

[netlogon]
         path = /d2/samba/netlogon
         browsable = no
         available = yes
         writable = no
         comment = NetLogON
         write list = root

[profiles]
         comment = Benutzerprofile
         path = /d2/samba/profiles
         writable = yes
         browsable = no
         read only = no
         available = yes
         create mask = 0600
         locking = no
         directory mode = 0700
         read only = no

[Daten]
         comment = Datenverzeichnis
         writeable = yes
         browsable = yes
         available = yes
         create mode = 0666
         path = /d2/Daten
         directory mode = 0777
         valid users = @users
         write list = @users
         hide unreadable = yes

Re: Samba4 Problem Rename

Samba - General mailing list
On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 13:32:32 +0100
Bernhard Blasen via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've got a Problem using samba4 as PDS and Win7 Client.

What is a 'PDS' ??

> I'm not able to rename a file in Windows Explorer. I can connect
> shares. I can create, open and  write files but I cannot rename or
> move them. If i try to i get a message "file xyz too big for target
> file system".

OK, first make your Samba Active Directory DC smb.conf look like this:

[global]
     workgroup = MYWORKGROUP
     realm = MYWORKGROUP.LOCAL
     netbios name = FILESERVER
     dns forwarder = 192.168.2.1
     idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
     template shell = /bin/bash
     template homedir = /home/%U

[netlogon]
     path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/myworkgroup.local/scripts
     read only = No

[sysvol]
     path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
     read only = No

[Daten]
         comment = Datenverzeichnis
         path = /d2/Daten
         read only = No
         hide unreadable = yes

NOTE: you really shouldn't use '.local', if this really is your TLD,
then stop Avahi from running on the DC.

Next, go and read:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_Home_Folders

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Implementing_roaming_profiles

Re: Samba4 Problem Rename

PDS is  a typo - sorry!
Should be PDC (primary domain controller)
And thank you for your hints - I'll try them and will report results

Regards
Bernhard

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 13:32:32 +0100
Bernhard Blasen via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've got a Problem using samba4 as PDS and Win7 Client.

What is a 'PDS' ??

> I'm not able to rename a file in Windows Explorer. I can connect
> shares. I can create, open and  write files but I cannot rename or
> move them. If i try to i get a message "file xyz too big for target
> file system".

OK, first make your Samba Active Directory DC smb.conf look like this:

[global]
      workgroup = MYWORKGROUP
      realm = MYWORKGROUP.LOCAL
      netbios name = FILESERVER
      dns forwarder = 192.168.2.1
      idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
      template shell = /bin/bash
      template homedir = /home/%U

[netlogon]
      path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/myworkgroup.local/scripts
      read only = No

[sysvol]
      path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
      read only = No

[Daten]
          comment = Datenverzeichnis
          path = /d2/Daten
          read only = No
          hide unreadable = yes

NOTE: you really shouldn't use '.local', if this really is your TLD,
then stop Avahi from running on the DC.

Next, go and read:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_Home_Folders

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Implementing_roaming_profiles

Re: Samba4 Problem Rename

Samba - General mailing list
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 11:30:06 +0100
Bernhard Blasen via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> PDS is  a typo - sorry!
> Should be PDC (primary domain controller)

No, it should be 'DC', a 'PDC' is an NT4-style domain controller,
please do not call your 'DC' a 'PDC', it confuses people.

Re: Samba4 Problem Rename [SOLVED]

Thank you Rowland, your post was very helpful.

In one of your links I found "Do not use the same user names in the
local /etc/passwd file as in the domain"
and this statement did the trick. In Samba3 I had the same usernames for
linux users and for samba users. But now in Samba4 acting as an AD PDC
you obviously need different usernames.

Cheers
Bernhard

 >On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 13:32:32 +0100
 >
 >Rawland Penny via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:
 >
 >OK, first make your Samba Active Directory DC smb.conf look like this:
 >
 >[global]
 >     workgroup = MYWORKGROUP
 >     realm = MYWORKGROUP.LOCAL
 >     netbios name = FILESERVER
 >     server role = active directory domain controller
 >     dns forwarder = 192.168.2.1
 >     idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
 >     template shell = /bin/bash
 >     template homedir = /home/%U
 >
 >[netlogon]
 >     path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/myworkgroup.local/scripts
 >     read only = No
 >
 >[sysvol]
 >     path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
 >     read only = No
 >
 >[Daten]
 >         comment = Datenverzeichnis
 >         path = /d2/Daten
 >         read only = No
 >         hide unreadable = yes
 >
 >NOTE: you really shouldn't use '.local', if this really is your TLD,
 >then stop Avahi from running on the DC.
 >
 >Next, go and read:
 >
 >https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Share_Using_Windows_ACLs
 >
 >https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_Home_Folders
 >
 >https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Implementing_roaming_profiles
 >
 >Rowland

Re: Samba4 Problem Rename [SOLVED]

Samba - General mailing list
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 10:56:49 +0100
Bernhard Blasen via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Rowland, your post was very helpful.
>
> In one of your links I found "Do not use the same user names in the
> local /etc/passwd file as in the domain"
> and this statement did the trick. In Samba3 I had the same usernames
> for linux users and for samba users. But now in Samba4 acting as an
> AD PDC you obviously need different usernames.

When you connect to a Unix computer from a windows machine, the user
must be known to the underlying OS, this is where Samba comes in. With
older versions of Samba, this relied on mapping a Samba user to a Unix
user in /etc/passwd. When you run Samba as an AD DC, you do not do
this, you make your windows user (stored in AD) a Unix user by either
idmap.ldb on a DC (this is done automatically) or by adding a uidNumber
attribute to the user.