Samba upgrade from 4.6 to 4.7

Samba - General mailing list
Hello

I have a Samba 4.6.7 server installed with the sernet package on Ubuntu
12.04 precise which I like to upgrade to 4.7 and also I want to do a
release upgrade for Ubuntu from 12.04 to 14.04.

Before I continue I like know if I should first do a release upgrade for
Ubuntu or do I have to upgrade Samba to 4.7 first and then run the release
upgrade.

Thanks n Regards

*Harsh Kukreja *Systems Administrator
*International University of Namibia *Tel: 061-4336000 - E-mail: h.kukreja
@ium.edu.na - Web:
*http://www.ium.edu.na <http://www.ium.edu.na/>*Private Bag
14005,Bachbrech. 21-31 Hercules Street, Dorado Park, Windhoek, NAMIBIA

Re: Samba upgrade from 4.6 to 4.7

Samba - General mailing list
On 10/4/2017 3:59 AM, Harsh Kukreja via samba wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a Samba 4.6.7 server installed with the sernet package on Ubuntu
> 12.04 precise which I like to upgrade to 4.7 and also I want to do a
> release upgrade for Ubuntu from 12.04 to 14.04.
>
> Before I continue I like know if I should first do a release upgrade for
> Ubuntu or do I have to upgrade Samba to 4.7 first and then run the release
> upgrade.
>
> Thanks n Regards
>
> *Harsh Kukreja *Systems Administrator
> *International University of Namibia *Tel: 061-4336000 - E-mail: h.kukreja
> @ium.edu.na - Web:
> *http://www.ium.edu.na <http://www.ium.edu.na/>*Private Bag
> 14005,Bachbrech. 21-31 Hercules Street, Dorado Park, Windhoek, NAMIBIA

I'm not sure if it matters as nothing is mentioned in the release notes.
However I will mention there is dependencie changes going from Ubuntu
12.04 to 14.04.

"libgnutls-dev has been replace by libgnutls28-dev on Debian 8 Jessie
and Ubuntu >=14.04"

James

Re: Samba upgrade from 4.6 to 4.7

Samba - General mailing list
On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 09:08:30 -0400
lingpanda101 via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/4/2017 3:59 AM, Harsh Kukreja via samba wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I have a Samba 4.6.7 server installed with the sernet package on
> > Ubuntu 12.04 precise which I like to upgrade to 4.7 and also I want
> > to do a release upgrade for Ubuntu from 12.04 to 14.04.
> >
> > Before I continue I like know if I should first do a release
> > upgrade for Ubuntu or do I have to upgrade Samba to 4.7 first and
> > then run the release upgrade.
> >
> > Thanks n Regards
> >
> > *Harsh Kukreja *Systems Administrator
> > *International University of Namibia *Tel: 061-4336000 - E-mail:
> > h.kukreja @ium.edu.na - Web:
> > *http://www.ium.edu.na <http://www.ium.edu.na/>*Private Bag
> > 14005,Bachbrech. 21-31 Hercules Street, Dorado Park, Windhoek,
> > NAMIBIA
>
> I'm not sure if it matters as nothing is mentioned in the release
> notes. However I will mention there is dependencie changes going from
> Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04.
>
> "libgnutls-dev has been replace by libgnutls28-dev on Debian 8 Jessie
> and Ubuntu >=14.04"

I would suggest setting up a new server, join this to the domain as a
new DC, transfer the FSMO roles to this and then demote the old DC.
This way, you can change the OS and the Samba version at the same time.

On 10/4/2017 9:27 AM, Harsh Kukreja wrote:

> Thanks for the response. Does that mean that I will have to rebuild
> the samba again after upgrading Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04
>
> *Harsh Kukreja *Systems Administrator
>
> **International University of Namibia**Tel: 061-4336000 - E-mail:
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> - Web:
> _http://www.ium.edu.na <http://www.ium.edu.na/>
> _Private Bag 14005,Bachbrech. 21-31 Hercules Street, Dorado Park,
> Windhoek, NAMIBIA
>

> On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 3:08 PM, lingpanda101 via samba
>
>     On 10/4/2017 3:59 AM, Harsh Kukreja via samba wrote:
>
>         Hello
>
>         I have a Samba 4.6.7 server installed with the sernet package
>         on Ubuntu
>         12.04 precise which I like to upgrade to 4.7 and also I want
>         to do a
>         release upgrade for Ubuntu from 12.04 to 14.04.
>
>         Before I continue I like know if I should first do a release
>         upgrade for
>         Ubuntu or do I have to upgrade Samba to 4.7 first and then run
>         the release
>         upgrade.
>
>         Thanks n Regards
>
>         *Harsh Kukreja *Systems Administrator
>         *International University of Namibia *Tel: 061-4336000 -
>         E-mail: h.kukreja
>         @ium.edu.na <http://ium.edu.na> - Web:
>         *http://www.ium.edu.na <http://www.ium.edu.na/>*Private Bag
>         14005,Bachbrech. 21-31 Hercules Street, Dorado Park, Windhoek,
>         NAMIBIA
>

>     I'm not sure if it matters as nothing is mentioned in the release
>     notes. However I will mention there is dependencie changes going
>     from Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04.
>
>     "libgnutls-dev has been replace by libgnutls28-dev on Debian 8
>     Jessie and Ubuntu >=14.04"
>

>     --
>     --
>     James
>

>     --

I would assume so, however I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can chime in.

James

Re: Samba upgrade from 4.6 to 4.7

I would suggest setting up a new server, join this to the domain as a
new DC, transfer the FSMO roles to this and then demote the old DC.
This way, you can change the OS and the Samba version at the same time.

Rowland

Thanks Rowland

I like to ask when I build a new samba 4.7 server on Ubuntu 16.04 then do I
have to join it as domain member to the existing DC and then transfer FSMO
roles.

Can you please help with the steps to install Sernet Samba 4.7 package on
Ubuntu 16.04.

On 10/4/2017 10:17 AM, Harsh Kukreja via samba wrote:

> I would suggest setting up a new server, join this to the domain as a
> new DC, transfer the FSMO roles to this and then demote the old DC.
> This way, you can change the OS and the Samba version at the same time.
>
> Rowland
>
> Thanks Rowland
>
> I like to ask when I build a new samba 4.7 server on Ubuntu 16.04 then do I
> have to join it as domain member to the existing DC and then transfer FSMO
> roles.
>
> Can you please help with the steps to install Sernet Samba 4.7 package on
> Ubuntu 16.04.
>

> On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 3:41 PM, Rowland Penny via samba <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 09:08:30 -0400
>> lingpanda101 via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I'm not sure if it matters as nothing is mentioned in the release
>>> notes. However I will mention there is dependencie changes going from
>>> Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04.
>>>
>>> "libgnutls-dev has been replace by libgnutls28-dev on Debian 8 Jessie
>>> and Ubuntu >=14.04"
>>>

>> I would suggest setting up a new server, join this to the domain as a
>> new DC, transfer the FSMO roles to this and then demote the old DC.
>> This way, you can change the OS and the Samba version at the same time.
>>
>> Rowland
>>
>> --

Take note that I believe Ubuntu 16.04 uses systemd and not upstart any
longer. Will need to modify your startup script for samba.

James

Re: Samba upgrade from 4.6 to 4.7

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 16:17:17 +0200
Harsh Kukreja <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would suggest setting up a new server, join this to the domain as a
> new DC, transfer the FSMO roles to this and then demote the old DC.
> This way, you can change the OS and the Samba version at the same
> time.
>
> Rowland
>
> Thanks Rowland
>
> I like to ask when I build a new samba 4.7 server on Ubuntu 16.04
> then do I have to join it as domain member to the existing DC and
> then transfer FSMO roles.

I took it as granted when you said 'Samba server', you meant an AD DC,
now I am beginning to wonder. If it is an AD domain, you would need to
join the new computer as a DC, you cannot transfer the FSMO roles to a
Unix domain member, it doesn't hold the sam.ldb files.

> Can you please help with the steps to install Sernet Samba 4.7
> package on Ubuntu 16.04.

It is very much the same as installing OS packages, they just have
different names. Surely Sernet provides install instructions when you
purchase your license to use their packages and if you haven't
purchased a license, I am not going to tell you how to use the Sernet
packages.

Re: Samba upgrade from 4.6 to 4.7

Samba - General mailing list
Thanks for the clarification. I will join the new Ubuntu 16.04 as an
Additional DC to the existing PDC.

We have a license from Sernet but they never provided any instructions on
how to install their package. I will appreciate if you can assist with the
same.

On 10/05/2017 11:27 AM, Harsh Kukreja via samba wrote:
> We have a license from Sernet but they never provided any instructions on
> how to install their package. I will appreciate if you can assist with the
> same.

On our DCs, we have installed the following:

sernet-samba install
sernet-samba-ad install
sernet-samba-client install
sernet-samba-common install
sernet-samba-keyring install
sernet-samba-libs:amd64 install
sernet-samba-libsmbclient0:amd64 install
sernet-samba-winbind install

on the domain member server:
sernet-samba install
sernet-samba-client install
sernet-samba-common install
sernet-samba-keyring install
sernet-samba-libs:amd64 install
sernet-samba-libsmbclient0:amd64 install
sernet-samba-winbind install

(so everything as well, except sernet-samba-ad)

MJ