Samba share not appearing in Windows version 1709

Samba share not appearing in Windows version 1709

Samba - General mailing list
I am running samba 4.6.11 of a FreeBSD 11.1 machine. This machine is part of a
mixed network. I just updated one of the machines to the Windows 10 Fall
Creators Update, version 1709. Now, the samba enabled machine no longer
appears in the "Network" on the MS Machine; although I can reach it by
manually typing in its network address, "\\Net_Bios_Name".

I got this from the Microsoft knowledge base:

SMBv1 is not installed by default in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and
Windows Server, version 1709 Applies to: Windows 10 version 1709, Windows
Server Datacenter Core, version 1709, Windows Server Standard Core, version
1709.

A complete description of the problem is listed on the site:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-windows-10-and-windows-server-version-1709

I added this to the smb4.conf file: client min protocol = SMB2. Obviously, I
restarted samba after makeing the change. I even did a cold reboot of the
machines thinking that might have an affect. It didn't.  I also tried som
variants, like SMB3, but still no change.

I also noticed that running "testparm" does not show that entry in the
[global] section of the config file. Why is that? I am entering the parameter
incorrectly or in the wrong section?

Thanks for any assistance you can afford me.

--
Gerard

Re: Samba share not appearing in Windows version 1709

Samba - General mailing list
> SMBv1 is not installed by default in Windows 10 Fall Creators
> Update and Windows Server, version 1709 Applies to:
> Windows 10 version 1709, Windows Server Datacenter Core,
> version 1709, Windows Server Standard Core, version 1709.

There's your answer. SMBv1 was deemed insecure, in particular after the WannaCry malware event. People have been disabling it everywhere. Without it you don't have network browsing service, which is not of much use nowadays, anyway.

On 17-12-17 11:26, Gerard Seibert via samba wrote:

> I am running samba 4.6.11 of a FreeBSD 11.1 machine. This machine is part of a
> mixed network. I just updated one of the machines to the Windows 10 Fall
> Creators Update, version 1709. Now, the samba enabled machine no longer
> appears in the "Network" on the MS Machine; although I can reach it by
> manually typing in its network address, "\\Net_Bios_Name".
>
> I got this from the Microsoft knowledge base:
>
> SMBv1 is not installed by default in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and
> Windows Server, version 1709 Applies to: Windows 10 version 1709, Windows
> Server Datacenter Core, version 1709, Windows Server Standard Core, version
> 1709.
>
> A complete description of the problem is listed on the site:
> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-windows-10-and-windows-server-version-1709
>
> I added this to the smb4.conf file: client min protocol = SMB2. Obviously, I

It's  on the server, so try:
 server min protocol = SMB2