Samba max protocol for windows 10

Samba - General mailing list
Hello,

One of our customer has a Samba 3 domain and they have troubles when they try to join a Windows 10 computer, i'm pretty sure it's because we need to set
server max protocol = NT1
on the domain configuration like the wiki says.

But i'm wondering, what about other workstations ? There's no bad behavior limiting the maximum protocol to the current joined workstations (windows xp / 7 / 8 & some linux servers) ?

Thanks.

Maxence Sartiaux | System & Network Engineer
Boulevard Initialis, 28 - 7000 Mons
Tel : +32 (0)65 84 23 85 (ext: 6016)
Fax : +32 (0)65 84 66 76 [ http://www.it-optics.com/ |  www.it-optics.com  ]

Re: Samba max protocol for windows 10

Samba - General mailing list

Am 27.11.2017 um 15:13 schrieb Maxence SARTIAUX via samba:
> One of our customer has a Samba 3 domain and they have troubles when they try to join a Windows 10 computer, i'm pretty sure it's because we need to set
> server max protocol = NT1
> on the domain configuration like the wiki says.
>
> But i'm wondering, what about other workstations ? There's no bad behavior limiting the maximum protocol to the current joined workstations (windows xp / 7 / 8 & some linux servers) ?

just performance - NT1 is the lowest common version

i find it really pervert that you need for the newest windows limit your
config to the oldest protocol

On Mon, 2017-11-27 at 15:32 +0100, Reindl Harald via samba wrote:

> Am 27.11.2017 um 15:13 schrieb Maxence SARTIAUX via samba:
> > One of our customer has a Samba 3 domain and they have troubles when they try to join a Windows 10 computer, i'm pretty sure it's because we need to set
> > server max protocol = NT1
> > on the domain configuration like the wiki says.
> >
> > But i'm wondering, what about other workstations ? There's no bad behavior limiting the maximum protocol to the current joined workstations (windows xp / 7 / 8 & some linux servers) ?
>
> just performance - NT1 is the lowest common version
>
> i find it really pervert that you need for the newest windows limit your
> config to the oldest protocol

The point is more that the NT4 domain support remains in Windows only
by the thinist of margins.  If you have a Samba 3.x domain or a Samba
4.x install running in the 'classic' or NT4-like mode, upgrade it to AD
with urgency before something forces it broken!

(This could very well include security updates, as noticed with a
password change patch recently!)

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team         https://samba.org
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Re: Samba max protocol for windows 10

Samba - General mailing list
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 09:58:41 +1300
Andrew Bartlett via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2017-11-27 at 15:32 +0100, Reindl Harald via samba wrote:
> >
> > Am 27.11.2017 um 15:13 schrieb Maxence SARTIAUX via samba:
> > > One of our customer has a Samba 3 domain and they have troubles
> > > when they try to join a Windows 10 computer, i'm pretty sure it's
> > > because we need to set server max protocol = NT1 on the domain
> > > configuration like the wiki says.
> > >
> > > But i'm wondering, what about other workstations ? There's no bad
> > > behavior limiting the maximum protocol to the current joined
> > > workstations (windows xp / 7 / 8 & some linux servers) ?
> >
> > just performance - NT1 is the lowest common version
> >
> > i find it really pervert that you need for the newest windows limit
> > your config to the oldest protocol
>
> The point is more that the NT4 domain support remains in Windows only
> by the thinist of margins.  If you have a Samba 3.x domain or a Samba
> 4.x install running in the 'classic' or NT4-like mode, upgrade it to
> AD with urgency before something forces it broken!
>
> (This could very well include security updates, as noticed with a
> password change patch recently!)
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Hi Andrew,
I think you understand what I have been saying for some time now,
upgrade from an NT4-style to AD before it is too late.

However, are you ready yet to admit that Samba should mark NT domains
as deprecated ?

Samba classic domains

Samba - General mailing list
On Mon, 2017-11-27 at 21:50 +0000, Rowland Penny wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
> I think you understand what I have been saying for some time now,
> upgrade from an NT4-style to AD before it is too late.
>
> However, are you ready yet to admit that Samba should mark NT domains
> as deprecated ?

I don't see it as admitting or otherwise, the Samba NT4 domain code
remains a fully supported and functional part of Samba.

We don't however control the clients however, so we give this warning.

To me, deprecated refers to code we plan to remove from Samba in the
short or medium term, and that is not the case here.

I also think using that word will just make it more complex for the
organisations undertaking the transition to Samba AD.

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team         https://samba.org
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Re: Samba classic domains

Samba - General mailing list
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 10:59:30 +1300
Andrew Bartlett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2017-11-27 at 21:50 +0000, Rowland Penny wrote:
> >
> > Hi Andrew,
> > I think you understand what I have been saying for some time now,
> > upgrade from an NT4-style to AD before it is too late.
> >
> > However, are you ready yet to admit that Samba should mark NT
> > domains as deprecated ?
>
> I don't see it as admitting or otherwise, the Samba NT4 domain code
> remains a fully supported and functional part of Samba.
>
> We don't however control the clients however, so we give this warning.

I never said the code didn't work any more and I agree we don't control
the clients, this is the problem. There is no point in having the NT
code if the windows clients will not work with it.

> To me, deprecated refers to code we plan to remove from Samba in the
> short or medium term, and that is not the case here.

Then I think it is short sighted of you, some time or other, the
code will become unused, better if Samba controls when this happens.

> I also think using that word will just make it more complex for the
> organisations undertaking the transition to Samba AD.

How can a word make it more complex, in my opinion, it will just make
it clear that users should upgrade.