Samba AD DC backup - again

Samba - General mailing list
Hey list.

I've searched all over last year conversations and it is (kinda) still
unclear about backups.

samba_backup script assumes that samba4 was installed from source, not
from repository.

https://github.com/thctlo/samba4/tree/master/backup-script is too
overfunctional for simple backup script. Really, I know how to write
shell scripts, but sometimes have headaches reading them ☺

The question is: is it enough to copy /var/lib/samba directory (with
samba turned off), which contains:

# ls /var/lib/samba/
account_policy.tdb  ntp_signd  private registry.tdb  share_info.
tdb  sysvol  winbindd_cache.tdb  winbindd_privileged  wins.ldb

And /etc/samba && /etc/krb5.conf, or it should do something else?

--
With best regards,
Stanislav N. aka pztrn

Re: Samba AD DC backup - again

Samba - General mailing list
Hai,

I dont think its over functional, it includes everything you need for a good AD DC backup.

This is about the minimal you should backup for an AD DC.
If you want to backup samba when turned off. You need at least:
/etc/samba
/var/lib/samba
/var/cache/samba
/etc/krb*

Check if sysvol is included in you backup and i also suggest an extra ACL backup of sysvol.

!! Dont copy the /var/lib/samba when samba is running, you will get corrupted [l-t]db files !!

Read: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Back_up_and_Restoring_a_Samba_AD_DC

But the script is a "set and forget" and does all of above.
Im using it over a year now, so can you explain what the problem is with the backup script.

And i agree, its a "hard" to read script, so why not ..
Just dont read it, get it, set it and enjoy it.
If it does not work, report it on the list and we can try to help out.

Greetz,

Louis

Re: Samba AD DC backup - again

Samba - General mailing list
В Вт, 14/03/2017 в 14:44 +0100, L.P.H. van Belle via samba пишет:

> Hai,
>
> I dont think its over functional, it includes everything you need for
> a good AD DC backup.
>
> This is about the minimal you should backup for an AD DC.
> If you want to backup samba when turned off. You need at least:
> /etc/samba
> /var/lib/samba
> /var/cache/samba
> /etc/krb*
>
> Check if sysvol is included in you backup and i also suggest an extra
> ACL backup of sysvol.
>
> !! Dont copy the /var/lib/samba when samba is running, you will get
> corrupted [l-t]db files !!
>
> Read: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Back_up_and_Restoring_a_Samba_
> AD_DC
>
> But the script is a "set and forget" and does all of above.
> Im using it over a year now, so can you explain what the problem is
> with the backup script.
>
> And i agree, its a "hard" to read script, so why not ..
> Just dont read it, get it, set it and enjoy it.
> If it does not work, report it on the list and we can try to help
> out.
>

> Greetz,
>
> Louis

Thanks for paths list!

It is very confusing that these paths not on wiki page.

--
With best regards,
Stanislav N. aka pztrn
Jabber: [hidden email]
E-Mail: [hidden email]
Blog: http://pztrn.name && http://en.pztrn.name
Telegram: @pztrn
Key ID: B3E1F07E

Re: Samba AD DC backup - again

Samba - General mailing list

If you run : smbd -b | grep ": /"

You see something like this :

   SBINDIR: /usr/sbin
   BINDIR: /usr/bin
   CONFIGFILE: /etc/samba/smb.conf
   LOGFILEBASE: /var/log/samba
   LMHOSTSFILE: /etc/samba/lmhosts
   LIBDIR: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
   MODULESDIR: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/samba
   LOCKDIR: /var/run/samba
   STATEDIR: /var/lib/samba
   CACHEDIR: /var/cache/samba
   PIDDIR: /var/run/samba
   SMB_PASSWD_FILE: /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   PRIVATE_DIR: /var/lib/samba/private
   CTDB_SOCKET: /var/run/ctdb/ctdbd.socket

And your welkom.

Greetz,

Louis

Re: Samba AD DC backup - again

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 19:07:25 +0500
"Stanislav N. aka pztrn via samba" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for paths list!
>
> It is very confusing that these paths not on wiki page.

The wiki is based around the default used when Samba is compiled from
a tarball. Distros put the Samba binaries etc into a lot of different
places, you just need to work out where.
Running 'samba -b' should help ;-)

Re: Samba AD DC backup - again

Samba - General mailing list
В Вт, 14/03/2017 в 14:41 +0000, Rowland Penny via samba пишет:

> On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 19:07:25 +0500
> "Stanislav N. aka pztrn via samba" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for paths list!
> >
> > It is very confusing that these paths not on wiki page.
> >

> The wiki is based around the default used when Samba is compiled from
> a tarball. Distros put the Samba binaries etc into a lot of different
> places, you just need to work out where.
> Running 'samba -b' should help ;-)
>
> Rowland

Thanks for this hint!