Quantcast

Samba 4 functional levels

ssureshot
  I need to raise the forest and domain functional level to 2008, I use
the "samba-tool domainlevel raise" but it doesn't seem to be raising the
levels... is there another way ? I need this for TS Session Broker to work..

samba-tool domainlevel show output
Forest function level: (Windows) 2003
Domain function level: (Windows) 2003
Lowest function level of a DC: (Windows) 2008 R2

My TS servers show that it is a windows 2003 domain. I cannot raise the
domain through windows as it says I don't have the proper privileges.

How can I raise this?

Thanks in advance !
Aaron

Re: Samba 4 functional levels

Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer-3
But do you make use of the "-Uadministrator%<password>" parameter when
calling the tool?

Cheers,
Matthias

Aaron E. wrote:
> My TS servers show that it is a windows 2003 domain. I cannot raise
> the domain through windows as it says I don't have the proper privileges.
>
> How can I raise this?
>
> Thanks in advance !
> Aaron

Re: Samba 4 functional levels

ssureshot
I did not at first but I did try now and same results, the command
completes successfully but the domainlevel doesn't change..

On 02/25/2011 03:49 AM, Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer wrote:

> But do you make use of the "-Uadministrator%<password>" parameter when
> calling the tool?
>
> Cheers,
> Matthias
>
> Aaron E. wrote:
>> My TS servers show that it is a windows 2003 domain. I cannot raise
>> the domain through windows as it says I don't have the proper privileges.
>>
>> How can I raise this?
>>
>> Thanks in advance !
>> Aaron

Re: Samba 4 functional levels

Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer-3
Aaron,

this command should work:
> ./samba-tool domainlevel raise --domain=2008
> Domain function level changed!
> All changes applied successfully!
Just to be sure: is your s4 version recent enough (I mean at maximum
some months old)?

Otherwise you could just try to perform the raise manually. This means
with an adequate LDAP tool you have to:

- Under <base DN> set "msDS-Behavior-Version" to 3
- Under CN=<short domainname>, CN=Partitions, CN=Configuration, <base

Aaron E. wrote:

> I did not at first but I did try now and same results, the command
> completes successfully but the domainlevel doesn't change..
>
> On 02/25/2011 03:49 AM, Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer wrote:
>> But do you make use of the "-Uadministrator%<password>" parameter when
>> calling the tool?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Matthias
>>
>> Aaron E. wrote:
>>> My TS servers show that it is a windows 2003 domain. I cannot raise
>>> the domain through windows as it says I don't have the proper
>>> privileges.
>>>
>>> How can I raise this?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance !
>>> Aaron

Re: Samba 4 functional levels

ssureshot
Thanks for the input Matthias,

I was not using the full command with --domain=2008.. This did not work
and stated that there was another DC that had to be raised to 2008. I
could not raise the level on my backup DC which was also samba4..

I blew away the samba install and started from scratch and Raised the
domainlevel on the primary before I added a DC, this worked great..

The forest is still in 2003, is there also something to raise this?..

Oh and I'm running S4 alpha14,
        Is there a newer alpha?

Good Stuff! thank you very much!

Aaron E. wrote:
> The forest is still in 2003, is there also something to raise this?..
Well, as you might have noticed there exists also "--forest=" as
parameter. Be aware that the following constraint holds: forest level <=
domain level.
You can also use both parameters at once:
> ./samba-tool domainlevel raise --domain=2008 --forest=2008
>
> Oh and I'm running S4 alpha14,
>     Is there a newer alpha?
I don't think so.

> Good Stuff! thank you very much!
Cheers,
Matthias

> On 02/25/2011 02:03 PM, Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer wrote:
>> Aaron,
>>
>> this command should work:
>>> ./samba-tool domainlevel raise --domain=2008
>>> Domain function level changed!
>>> All changes applied successfully!
>> Just to be sure: is your s4 version recent enough (I mean at maximum
>> some months old)?
>>
>> Otherwise you could just try to perform the raise manually. This means
>> with an adequate LDAP tool you have to:
>>
>> - Under <base DN> set "msDS-Behavior-Version" to 3
>> - Under CN=<short domainname>, CN=Partitions, CN=Configuration, <base
>> DN> set "msDS-Behavior-Version" to 3
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Matthias
>>

>> Aaron E. wrote:
>>> I did not at first but I did try now and same results, the command
>>> completes successfully but the domainlevel doesn't change..

Re: Samba 4 functional levels

tms3

>> Oh and I'm running S4 alpha14,
>>          Is there a newer alpha?
> I don't think so.

Yes. Via git I am running Version 4.0.0alpha15-GIT-11a97d6.