Samba 4.7.x IOWAIT / load average

I want to report a strange problem with samba 4.7.x and IO wait / CPU usage.

I am using linux (archlinux, kernel 4.14.2) and encounter a very strange bug with only samba 4.7.x (from 4.7.0 to last 4.7.4).
With these versions CPU usage and IO WAIT is very high with a single CIFS client with very low transfert (about 1MB/s).

I rollback to 4.6.9 to 4.6.12 and no problem with these versions.

Thanks.

best regards,

Re: Samba 4.7.x IOWAIT / load average

Samba - General mailing list
On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 03:27:17PM +0100, Christophe Yayon via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to report a strange problem with samba 4.7.x and IO wait / CPU usage.
>
> I am using linux (archlinux, kernel 4.14.2) and encounter a very strange bug with only samba 4.7.x (from 4.7.0 to last 4.7.4).
> With these versions CPU usage and IO WAIT is very high with a single CIFS client with very low transfert (about 1MB/s).
>
> I rollback to 4.6.9 to 4.6.12 and no problem with these versions.

More details/logs needed. Not enough info here to even begin
to debug I'm afraid.

Re: Samba 4.7.x IOWAIT / load average

Samba - General mailing list
Hi Jeremy,

What do you need exactly ?

Thanks
--
Christophe Yayon

> On 10 Jan 2018, at 01:38, Jeremy Allison <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 03:27:17PM +0100, Christophe Yayon via samba wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to report a strange problem with samba 4.7.x and IO wait / CPU usage.
>>
>> I am using linux (archlinux, kernel 4.14.2) and encounter a very strange bug with only samba 4.7.x (from 4.7.0 to last 4.7.4).
>> With these versions CPU usage and IO WAIT is very high with a single CIFS client with very low transfert (about 1MB/s).
>>
>> I rollback to 4.6.9 to 4.6.12 and no problem with these versions.
>
> More details/logs needed. Not enough info here to even begin
> to debug I'm afraid.

Re: Samba 4.7.x IOWAIT / load average

I found the problem !
It was the params "strict sync" which is default to "Yes" on 4.7.x and "No" on 4.6.x and previous.

When i force to "strict sync = no" in my config file, no more abnormal load average.

is this normal to default to "yes" on 4.7.x ?

Thanks

--
  Christophe Yayon
  [hidden email]

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 11:20:30AM +0100, Christophe Yayon via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found the problem !
> It was the params "strict sync" which is default to "Yes" on 4.7.x and "No" on 4.6.x and previous.
>
> When i force to "strict sync = no" in my config file, no more abnormal load average.
>
> is this normal to default to "yes" on 4.7.x ?

Yes, it's a much safer option.

Re: Samba 4.7.x IOWAIT / load average

Samba - General mailing list
Ok, i understand that, but with my surveillance cameras, there is a load problem...

They are doing small continuous IO and load average on samba server is abnormally high !

No one other encounter this problem ? Only myself ?

Thanks

--
Christophe Yayon