Samba 4.7.0

Samba - General mailing list
Morning ,

People from Samba Subscriber list will start asking themselves as to what kind of person is this ? Every morning is him with questions . Please forgive me of my ignorance .  I 'm  a newbee as far as Samba is concern. As mentioned yesterday ,and thanks so much for the respond I got , more especially Rowland who was so helpful to me to arrive where I 'm right now. In short and straight to the point.

I would like a Sparc Oracle server to be as a Client running Solaris 11 to have SAMBA installed on it. Having a Windows platform that runs checks and calculates statistics but it requires data from Sparc Oracle server in order to do this.  But for now temporarily while waiting for the user to supply with the Windows platform server. I want to use my Laptop as a windows platform server. How is the configuration of samba should it be while using the laptop as the windows platform. My laptop is running Windows 10 Pro. I need the step to step configure this

Regards
Ratanang
This e-mail is classified C2 - Vodacom Restricted - Information to be used inside Vodacom but it may be shared with authorised partners.

“This e-mail is sent on the Terms and Conditions that can be accessed by Clicking on this link https://webmail.vodacom.co.za/tc/default.html "

Re: Samba 4.7.0

Samba - General mailing list
On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 07:39:13 +0000
"Mogane, Ratanang Johannes, Vodacom South Africa \(External\) via
samba" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like a Sparc Oracle server to be as a Client running Solaris
> 11 to have SAMBA installed on it. Having a Windows platform that runs
> checks and calculates statistics but it requires data from Sparc
> Oracle server in order to do this.  But for now temporarily while
> waiting for the user to supply with the Windows platform server. I
> want to use my Laptop as a windows platform server. How is the
> configuration of samba should it be while using the laptop as the
> windows platform. My laptop is running Windows 10 Pro. I need the
> step to step configure this

Provided you are using packages based on Samba's code, try reading this:

I would also suggest you use the winbind 'rid' backend.

Re: Samba 4.7.0

Samba - General mailing list
On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 11:45:39 +0000
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good afternoon Rowland,
>
> I hope you are well .
>
> Rowland, just one question. Does it matter where I install the samba
> software in a Solaris server. Or it must be in a specific directory?

I don't suppose it matters where Samba is installed, as long as the
binaries are in the PATH and Samba can find all of its components.
I would have thought that by using packages for your OS, this would
already have been sorted for you.

Re: Samba 4.7.0

Samba - General mailing list
On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 15:48:13 +0000
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rowland,
>
> I have run :
> ./configure
>
> And at the end the following messages were found which means it needs
> the dependency. Correct?
>
> /opt/samba-4.7.0/source4/lib/tls/wscript:51: error: Building the AD
> DC
> requires
> GnuTLS (eg libgnutls-dev, gnutls-devel) for ldaps:// support and for
> the
> BackupK
> ey protocol root@tccoll01 #
>
> Is this now mean it need the Package Dependencies Required to Build
> Samba? If yes, under there I don't see for unix/Solaris. I see for
> linux/Red Hat/ etc
>
> Regards
> Ratanang

You are brave and quite possibly a pioneer, Your OS isn't listed on
the page you refer to, because I don't think anybody has tried to build
an AD DC on Solaris 11 before.

You are quite correct, the error message does say you have a missing
dependency, in this case, you need the Solaris 11 version of
libgnutls-dev. You will need to install this and then re-run
configure, if you then get any more failures, you will need to
identify and install any other missing packages.

Whilst you might be able to build the Samba software, you will not get
much further if your filesystem doesn't understand POSIX ACLs, the
provision of a DC will fail.

You will probably also get problems with the compiler if it isn't
similar to the Linux compiler.

If you do get it to build, you will find Samba in /usr/local/samba

Good luck

Re: Samba 4.7.0

Samba - General mailing list
On Tue, 2017-10-10 at 17:19 +0100, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 15:48:13 +0000
> "Mogane, Ratanang Johannes, Vodacom South Africa (External)"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Rowland,
> >
> > I have run :
> > ./configure
> >
> > And at the end the following messages were found which means it needs
> > the dependency. Correct?
> >
> > /opt/samba-4.7.0/source4/lib/tls/wscript:51: error: Building the AD
> > DC
> > requires
> > GnuTLS (eg libgnutls-dev, gnutls-devel) for ldaps:// support and for
> > the
> > BackupK
> > ey protocol root@tccoll01 #
> >
> > Is this now mean it need the Package Dependencies Required to Build
> > Samba? If yes, under there I don't see for unix/Solaris. I see for
> > linux/Red Hat/ etc
> >
> > Regards
> > Ratanang
> >

> You are brave and quite possibly a pioneer, Your OS isn't listed on
> the page you refer to, because I don't think anybody has tried to build
> an AD DC on Solaris 11 before.
>
> You are quite correct, the error message does say you have a missing
> dependency, in this case, you need the Solaris 11 version of
> libgnutls-dev. You will need to install this and then re-run
> configure, if you then get any more failures, you will need to
> identify and install any other missing packages.

I think a build using:

--without-ad-dc

would get a lot further.  The OP probably doesn't actually want the AD
DC.