SMB Multichannel use-cases

Samba - General mailing list
Hello,

I'd like to understand the use-cases to use SMB multichannel. Especially,
if the SMB client and Samba server are talking over the WAN.

When does one see an improvement in throughput with multichannel? For
instance, does copying multiple files result in parallel copying over
multiple connections over the same session?

Your inputs are appreciated.

Thanks,
Madhu

Re: SMB Multichannel use-cases

Samba - General mailing list
On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 09:09:10AM +0530, Madhusudan R via samba wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to understand the use-cases to use SMB multichannel. Especially,
> if the SMB client and Samba server are talking over the WAN.
>
> When does one see an improvement in throughput with multichannel? For
> instance, does copying multiple files result in parallel copying over
> multiple connections over the same session?
>
> Your inputs are appreciated.

Multichannel with Samba allows parallelization of reads and writes
for all files, so long as Samba is configured for aio.

Re: SMB Multichannel use-cases

Samba - General mailing list
Thanks for your response!

In other words, would the client be encouraged to open multiple connections
with the server to access multiple files in parallel?

-Madhu

On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 11:00:45AM +0530, Madhusudan R via samba wrote:
> Thanks for your response!
>
> In other words, would the client be encouraged to open multiple connections
> with the server to access multiple files in parallel?

So long as each connection is over a new interface, giving
additional bandwidth.